BurmaNet News: February 7 2003

editor at burmanet.org editor at burmanet.org
Fri Feb 7 14:35:10 EST 2003

February 7 2003 Issue # 2172

INSIDE BURMA

USA Today: Burma ‘first lady’ defies military thugs
Irrawaddy: Confiscation spurs social unrest
Myanmar Times: Luxury condos cater for [sic] new wealthy class
AFP: Aung San Suu Kyi wins million dollar award
Chin Human Rights Organization: 5 Chin Christian children escaped from
Buddhist monastery
DVB: New Mon State Party News
Xinhua: Myanmar’s leprosy prevalence rate to further decline in 2003

REGIONAL

Nation: A crowded agenda for Thaksin’s Burma trip

OPINION

DPNS: Burmese generals attempt to win over Amnesty International

INSIDE BURMA

USA Today February 7 2003

Burma 'first lady' defies military thugs
By Al Neuharth

She's 5-foot-3-inches small and weighs less than 100 pounds. But every
ounce of freedom advocate Aung San Suu Kyi radiates respect for human
rights and dignity. We visited with this Nobel Peace Prize winner in the
modest family home in which she was held under house arrest for more than
six years by Burma's military dictatorship. She was released last May,
after intense international pressure.

Her "crime": She and her National League for Democracy party won an
overwhelming election victory. The military thugs who run this country of
48 million people refused to recognize the election results.

Since last year's lifting of her confinement, the "first lady" of Burma
fearlessly has resumed rallying her people peacefully on behalf of freedom
and democracy. Young people predominate as crowds of tens of thousands
cheer the 57-year-old.

Foreign journalists are banned in Burma, so we came clandestinely to
present Ms. Suu Kyi a $ 1 million "Free Spirit" award from our
international Freedom Forum foundation.

The only wall decoration in her sparsely furnished living room is a huge
8-foot-by-12-foot painting of her father, the late Gen. Aung San. He was
assassinated in 1947, two months before he was to become the first prime
minister of then-independent Burma.

In her own words, headlines of what keeps this delicate-looking,
dignified, soft-spoken but steely spined woman going:

"I want the people of Burma to be able to hold their heads high as free
human beings."

"I would especially like the richness of spirit of our young people to
soar to meet all challenges."

If Ms. Suu Kyi could achieve those goals in her lifetime, she would
transform an enslaved Burma, which the military now calls Myanmar, into a
beacon for the world.
__________

Irrawaddy February 7 2003

Confiscation Spurs Social Unrest
By Naw Seng

The New Mon State Party (NMSP) has vowed to defend Mon farmers against
increased land confiscation in Burma's southern Mon State. They say
seizures have triggered massive unemployment and social unrest as farmers
and villagers scramble to find alternative sources of income amidst an
increasingly militarized state.
The NMSP estimates that over 2,500 acres of rubber and betel plantations
belonging to local farmers have been seized by Burmese troops since 1999.
Fifteen new Burmese army battalions now stake claim to the land, without
ever compensating the farmers.
"We think the land confiscation has led the community into a stage of
crime and unrest," a NMSP officer said yesterday.
In a statement issued last Sunday, the NMSP said they must defend the
rights of Mon farmers. The statement marked the end of a two-week NMSP
conference where they were rumored to be discussing their withdrawal from
a ceasefire agreement. The NMSP agreed to a ceasefire with Burma’s
military government in June 1995.
NMSP officials had previously demanded that the Burmese regime compensate
the farmers, but the government never responded.
Since the land seizures began, villagers have fled to Thailand to avoid
arrest and to search for both work and food. Without land to farm the
villagers have had a difficult time putting food on the table. Last
September local authorities arrested dozens of villagers in Mudone
Township after they looted a rice warehouse.
"Farmers and land owners have no choice but to give up their land," said a
Mon Human Rights worker. "The authorities give no announcement to
villagers before confiscation."
NMSP officials say that the military confiscated the land because it
serves a dual purpose. They can build military bases next to pre-existing
crops, which can provide food for troops and extra income for the
battalion commander.
"I think [the land confiscation] is the policy of the authority," said the
Mon Human Rights activist. "They won't change that policy."
According to The Mon Forum, areas that have seen large tracts of land
seized include Ye Township, where an estimated 2,000 acres have been
confiscated. And in 2001, 300 acres belonging to Mon villagers on
Kalar-gote Island, just west of Ye Township, were confiscated by the
military’s Southern Command in order to construct the Mawrawaddy naval
base.
___________

Myanmar Times February 7 2003

Luxury condos cater for new wealthy class
By Aung Kyaw Tha

BUILDING work for Yangon’s tallest residential condominium is due to begin
next month at  a site overlooking the Hantharwaddy roundabout on Pyay
Road, the developer Zaykabar Company announced last week. The 25-storey
triple-tower building, which will contain 528 residential units, will cost
about K27 billion, Zaykabar’s chairman, Dr Khin Shwe, told Myanmar Times.
The company had originally planned to build two 23-storey towers
containing apartments, offices and shops at the site, but decided to add
another two stories at the suggestion of its architects, Singapore company
ADDP. "As well as providing more residential apartments, a higher building
will be more elegant," Dr Khin Shwe said, adding that apartments higher
than 10 storeys would have a view of the Shwedagon Pagoda.
Singapore companies would be contracted for construction, electrical,
interior decoration and landscaping work at the site, he said. He said
"off the plan" sales would begin in March of units in the development,
which had been named Pyay Gardens. The units will range in area from 1300
square feet to 1500 square feet and include between three to five
bedrooms. There will be special security arrangements, with each resident
being issued with identity cards. Dr Khin Shwe said the decision to make
the development residential-only was in the interests of the privacy and
security of tenants. Each of the three towers will have three lifts and
the development will include parking for more than 500 vehicles.
Facilities at the site will include coffee shops, swimming pools, and a
spa.
__________________
Agence France-Presse February 7 2003

Aung San Suu Kyi wins million dollar award

Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi has scooped a one million
dollar prize offered by a US group in recognition of her democracy battle.

The Nobel Peace Prize laureate won the Freedom Forum's Spirit of the Year
Award. "Aung San Suu Kyi was selected to receive the award for her
free-spirited, non-violent struggle for human rights and democracy," the
group said.

This is the first time that the full one million dollar prize has been
handed to one person.

Freedom Forum chief executive Charles Overby and Al Neuharth, founder of
USA Today newspaper, travelled recently to Myanmar, the former Burma, to
inform Aung San Suu Kyi she had won the prize.

Aung San Suu Kyi, who has endured frequent periods of house arrest said in
remarks taped by the two that she would be unable to attend a ceremony to
honor her in March as she feared the country's military rulers would not
allow her to return.

"I will never leave Burma until I can return to this country freely," she
said.

Her award will be accepted on her behalf by her son Alexander Aris.

Aung San Suu Kyi, leader of the National League for Democracy, which won
general elections in 1990 which have never been recognised by the
military.

The Arlington, Virginia-based Freedom Forum is a non-partisan foundation
which promotes free speech, and a free press.
___________

Chin Human Rights Organization February 5 2003

5 Chin Christian children escaped from Buddhist monastery

Five of several Christian children who had been placed in various Buddhist
monasteries after they were recruited by Buddhist monks from Matupi
Township in Chin State during the last two years, ran away from the
monastery in the last week of January 2003, a local man who just arrived
to Mizoram said. He added that two children still are still remaining in
the monastery.

Salai Val Thang was placed at Rangoon Hill Buddhist Mission Center,
located at Thit Seih Kan ward, Theinkan village of Mingladon township in
Rangoon, while Salai San De Thang, Salai Se Ki and Salai Aung Naing Myo
were placed at Yuamah Pari Gati Buddhist school.  Salai Lai Thang still
remains at Rangoon Hill Buddhist Mission Center and Salai Kam Lian Thawng,
son of Pu Ri Sang in Matupi, is still being placed at Sule Thein Daw Kyi
school in Rangoon. They are all between the ages of 8 and 17.

Most of the children are from poor family backgrounds, and they were lured
away from their parents with the pretext of giving them education in
bigger cities. However, the children were instead placed in Buddhist
monasteries where they were made to put on robes.  The children have since
attempted to run away.

All Children were placed in different monasteries, making it difficult for
their parents to make contact with them. The parents are now very worried
because neither can they afford to travel down to the monasteries nor can
they ascertain the location of their children. Even conditions about the
two children who are known to be remaining at a monastery in Rangoon are
difficult to be followed up on.

The five children, now back to Matupi, say they refused to learn lessons
taught in the monasteries not only because all the lessons were about
Buddhist percepts and principles but they were made to put on robes and
follow strict monastic disciplines.

The children were recruited at various times in Matupi area since 1998 by
Budhist monk Sayadaw U Sein Da who is in charge of a Buddhist temple in
Matupi. Placements of the children were arranged by another monk who is
second in charge of the temple, and U Za-Wanna from Rangoon Hill Buddhist
Mission Center. Moreover, a Burmese school teacher working in Matupi
Township by the name of U Htun Pe had played an instrumental role in
enticing most of the children.

Since 1997, Burma’s ruling military junta, State Peace and Development
Council had imposed various restrictions on the activities of Christians
in Chin State who constitute more than 90 percent of the population of the
State. Buddhist monks in Matupi Township started recruiting children in
1998.
_________

Democratic Voice of Burma February 5 2003

New Mon State Party [NMSP] News

The 5th Conference of the NMSP which started on the 15th of January has
come to an end on the 2nd of this month. It had issued a statement with
five points from its HQs based at Ye Chaungpya. They
are: To strengthen the unity of Mon nationals, to rebuild the love between
the nationals, for a nationwide ceasefire agreement and to find the
solution with tripartite dialogue and to set up multi-party democratic
system and to build a true federal union. From the conference the
delegates elected 27 CEC members and Naing Shwe Kyin was re-elected as the
chairman and there was no change there, said the observers. But one of the
CEC members, Naing Shwe Thein said that even if there is no change of
members, there will more changes in policies and members will not be quiet
anymore. He continued as
follows:

A: We will push and urge as much as we could from our corner. Our
ceasefire agreement is in its seventh year. We still could not step
forward. We are still stalling and we need to restart our working towards
our aim. Starting with the ceasefire agreement, we are trying to work
towards true peace. We reassess the fact that if there is no nationwide
ceasefire agreement, the dialogue would be useless. The tripartite talk
will be the ideal way for dialogue.

Q: The NMSP’s ceasefire agreement is seven years old now. How did you
review it? Are you satisfied with it?