BurmaNet News: July 22 2003

editor at burmanet.org editor at burmanet.org
Tue Jul 22 15:54:01 EDT 2003

July 22 2003 Issue #2289

INSIDE BURMA

Kyodo: Myanmar junta releases 91 people, Suu Kyi still in custody
DVB: Riot in Pyinmana, Mandalay Division
DVB: Discussion on effects of US, EU sanctions against SPDC
Irrawaddy: Journal office raided, editors arrested

INTERNATIONAL

AFP: Myanmar issue may be referred to UN Security Council for resolution
AP: EU warns that Myanmar’s detention of Suu Kyi hurts relations with
Asia; Yangon says it releases 91 dissidents
AFP: Asia pushes for Myanmar’s inclusion in ASEM despite European objections
Reuters: Chirac backs Mahathir’s efforts to free Suu Kyi

REGIONAL

Nation: ASEAN calls meeting on Burma
Nation: ASEAN membership: Give Rangoon time: Surakiart
Xinhua: Thai NSC to discuss problems posed by Myanmar political deadlock
AFP: UN envoy backs Malaysian PM’s warning on Myanmar
Bernama: Malaysian Foreign Minister on Singapore water dispute, Burma
North Korea
Kyodo: ASEAN consensus needed on Myanmar, Malaysia says

ON THE BORDER

Irrawaddy: Burmese opposition checked

STATEMENTS/OTHER

Burma Campaign UK: The Royal Society for Asian Affairs calls off tourist
trip to Burma
Portsmouth Herald: Refugee from Burma to speak here Saturday

INSIDE BURMA

Kyodo News Service July 22 2003

Myanmar junta releases 91 people, Suu Kyi still in custody

Myanmar's junta has released 91 people detained following what the
military government said was a clash between backers of pro-democracy
movement leader Aung San Suu Kyi and pro-junta people in northern Myanmar
on May 30, a Foreign Ministry press release said Tuesday.

But Suu Kyi is not among them.

They were released by July 18, said the press release faxed to various
foreign embassies in Yangon.

Suu Kyi and several key members of her National League for Democracy
(NLD), including NLD Vice Chairman Tin Oo, were among those who are still
detained.

The junta has not disclosed the number detained or their detention sites.

Foreign Minister Win Aung said last month in Phnom Penh that the May 30
mayhem left four people dead and 48 injured, but he denied allegations
Myanmar's ruling generals engineered the riot.

The detention of Suu Kyi, a Nobel Peace Prize winner, has brought
international outcries against the junta, including a suggestion by
Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad that Myanmar could be expelled
from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations for damaging ASEAN's
reputation.

ASEAN groups Thailand, Singapore, the Philippines, Indonesia, Brunei,
Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, in addition to Malaysia and Myanmar.
________

Democratic Voice of Burma July 21 2003

Riot in Pyinmana, Mandalay Division

It is reported that a riot broke out on the 19th of July at Pyinmana,
Mandalay Division in central Burma after a quarrel between a shopkeeper
and a customer.

The riot started when Daw Thet Yi, the owner of a Muslim restaurant near
Letha Buddhist monastery refused to sell rice to a Buddhist monk and a
quarrel ensued between them. Later, a crowd swarmed around the stall and a
melee broke out and some people were wounded.

A riot police force nearby arrived and broke up the riot and Daw Thet Yi
and a couple of people were arrested by the authorities, said a local
resident as follows:

A local resident : A monk went to buy rice for his guests. The kalas
(Indians) wouldn’t sell rice to him. They threatened the monk and the monk
became angry and a riot broke out. There were more Burmese[Burmans];
around or more than one thousand people. It occurred right in front of the
monastery and there were 30-40 monks. The Burmese beat up the Indians.
They also threw stones at the mosque. People were not badly wounded. Some
people got wounds on their heads and the like. Indians ran away after they
were chased by the Burmans. They destroyed the houses and shops of
Indians. The security force fired their guns three or four times in the
air

DVB : What is the situation in Pyinmana like now?

A local resident : The woman and some others were arrested and she is
being detained in the police station, I heard. There are no other arrests.
They dare not arrest the monks for political reasons. They are quite
blameless. Local people started the riot for the offence done to the
monks.

Most of the people in Pyinmana think that the riot could have its root in
people’s grudges against the authority originating from the Dipeyin
incident.
_________

Democratic Voice of Burma July 20 2003

Discussion on effects of US, EU sanctions against SPDC

The international pressure has risen markedly against the SPDC (State
Peace and Development Council) military government after the 30 May
Tabayin incident.

As mentioned earlier, even the SPDC's closest ally, Malaysian Prime
Minister Mahathir Mohamed, has warned that Burma might have to be expelled
from ASEAN if its military rulers continue defying world pressure (to
release Aung San Suu Kyi). At the same time, the threat of sanctions by
the US-led western nations is increasing daily.

The latest and strongest pressure is the import ban legislation passed by
the two houses of the United States Congress. Furthermore, preparations
said to be under way to discuss the deteriorating situation in Burma at
the United Nations Security Council. These measures were gradually taken
after the Tabayin massacre and detention of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi with the
intent to persuade the military government to hold talks with the
democratic forces led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi at the earliest instant.
This week Sunday feature discusses the effectiveness of the sanctions and
the prospects of holding a political dialogue between the military junta
and the opposition.

Discussants for this programme include veteran politician Thakhin Thein Pe
from Rangoon, CRPP (Committee Representing People's
Parliament) member and SNLD leader U Khun Tun Oo, and NCGUB (National
Coalition Government of the Union of Burma) UN representative Dr Thaung
Tun from New York, US.

First, let us study the import ban legislation passed by the two houses of
the United States Congress. Dr Thaung Tun gave the following explanation.

Dr Thaung Tun : The main objective of our efforts to get sanctions imposed
is to weaken the economic base of the SPDC. In previous years, exports
from Burma to the United States amounted to about 400m dollars, and the
bulk of this amount goes into the coffers of the SPDC. By passing the
legislation, we will be able to block this 400m dollars from going to the
SPDC. Another point is blocking any loan or financial assistance from
international financial institutions such as World Bank, IMF
(International Monetary Fund), or ADB (Asian Development Bank). The next
point is freezing the assets owned by the SPDC and their cronies. Another
is officially recognizing the National League for Democracy (NLD) as the
legitimate representative of the Burmese people (as determined by the 1990
election). That is all in the name of the bill - Burmese Freedom and
Democracy Act. The sanctions are aimed at pressuring the SPDC towards the
path of democracy.

President Bush is expected to sign the bill in the near future. However,
it is learned that within days of the import ban legislation passed by the
United States Congress, many garment factories in Rangoon have already
closed down. Thakhin Thein Pe and U Khun Tun Oo said factory workers were
given salaries for three months and the factories were closed down.

Thakhin Thein Pe : What we heard is that some factories that do not have a
clear view say they are stopping [production] temporary for a month. Some
factories gave workers salaries for three months and shut down the
factories temporarily. That is the scenario.

U Khun Tun Oo : There is bound to be an impact and some will be hurt
presently. What is important is who will be hurt and what will be the
consequences, and we will have to wait and see. Presently, factories had
to be closed down but the workers are not feeling the full impact as yet
because they have been given salaries for three months. And, since the
bill has not come into force yet, some have kept their factories open, at
least for the time being. Once the bill is signed into law, there will
definitely be an impact. We can definitely say that because of the
sanctions our country will face some form of difficulty.

Thakhin Thein Pe : If you close down the factory, you are obliged to give
the workers salaries for three months. However, some factories that do not
want to give three months severance pay to the workers say they are
stopping temporary for a month. The workers also realized what was going
on. They knew and attributed the consequences to the detention of Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi. If Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is released today, the problems will
be over tomorrow.

That was Thakhin Thein Pe and U Khun Tun Oo explaining about the situation
in Rangoon. When asked whether these sanctions that cause the closure of
factories could lead to other undesirable consequences and mass unrest, U
Khun Tun Oo gave a thoughtful reply.

U Khun Tun Oo : There is different level of difficulty. If there is rice
and ngapi (fish paste) and you can survive with the bare necessities, then
it is another matter. However, if you envision the future in the long term
then these are not good for us at all. It is going to affect the country
especially when there is no investment, no productive forces, and our
products are not market-oriented and sanctioned. I see this not only
affecting us but our children and grandchildren as well. Nowadays, it is a
free world economy and the information technology age. We need to have
productive forces that are on par with the modern age and we should
manufacture products that are suitable for the era. Rather than going in
that direction, if we increase our rice and oil production, then it is
another matter. What I am trying to say is, whether there is going to be
an impact depends on that. If the government feels it could carry on then
it will keep on going. In reality, they should evaluate what is being
affected.

That was the view of U Khun Tun Oo. Veteran politician Thakhin Thein Pe,
citing the SPDC dailies, said there are signs that the SPDC could engage
in reconciliation dialogue.

Thakhin Thein Pe : Yesterday (18 July), Aung Moe San wrote an article -
Three key elements that must be realized without fail for emergence of a
democratic state. In that article, the first element is - to build
national reconciliation without fail taking lessons of the past. After
seeing the paper, we were all very happy. After all, we have always been
urging (the SPDC and NLD) to hold talks and find answers to national
reconciliation and peace. Since the newspapers are all government-owned
and if what they say is true, we think Burma will soon be seeing national
reconciliation talks and achieving peace and unity. What we want them to
do first now is to release Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. The second is to release
all
(detained) NLD members and political prisoners. The third is to reopen all
NLD offices and the reestablishment of NLD party. After that, hold
reconciliation talks and build back national unity. We believe that will
be the best for the country.

That was Thakhin Thein Pe's view. The mouthpiece of the military
government is saying this on one hand while on the other hand it is
strongly objecting the sanctions. It criticized the sanctions as having
adverse effects on the national reconciliation process. Some political
observers also shared similar views. Regarding these assessments, U Khun
Tun Oo and Thakhin Thein Pe gave the following responses.

U Khun Tun Oo : I think, there is no other way but to resume the talks. I
have said this many times before too. Personally, I think they would
consider how to successfully revive the talks. This is because you
mentioned the UN Security Council in your question. Once the UN Security
Council gets involved then there is not much left to do. As you had said,
prospects cannot be too good for the SPDC. Personally, I think the talks
must be resumed with genuine good will and with a view to solve all these
problems. No matter how farfetched the objective of the reconciliation
talks may be, I think there is no other way but to hold talks.

Thakhin Thein Pe : Although the US and EU have decided to impose sanctions
against Burma, they are in the preparation stage and the real effect has
not reached the country. During that time, if only we could build back
national unity, I believe the people will not face any difficulty.
However, if they hold reconciliation talks only when push becomes a shove,
I think the country will suffer more. I think it is the best and correct
way if only they could hold reconciliation talks and build back national
unity before the sanctions are implemented. [End of recording]

That was the expectations of U Khun Tun Oo and Thakhin Thein Pe. It is
evident international pressure need to be increased in order to bring
about the expectations. Dr Thaung Tun said the highest level of
international pressure is for the UN Security Council to take action. As a
first step, he said, this week's UN Security Council meeting was able to
discuss the case of Burma at the miscellaneous section and he remarked
that it was a very significant development. Dr Thaung Tun continued, for
change to occur quickly, international pressure together with the people's
activities needs to be coordinated and well balanced.

Dr Thaung Tun : After the US representative to the United Nations spoke at
the UN Security Council meeting, British and French UN ambassadors also
voiced their opinions. They said when [UN Secretary General's special
envoy to Burma] Mr Razali comes to New York the next time, Mr Razali
should address the entire UN Security Council [about the situation in
Burma]. It means, it is not done as a resolution. However, as Burma's case
was never discussed at the UN Security Council, the fact that it was put
up and discussed at the UN Security Council was incredible. It shows the
international community's concern over the deteriorating situation in
Burma, especially some members of the UN Security Council. This shows that
if the condition further deteriorates, the matter will not only be
discussed at the UN General Assembly but at the UN Security Council as
well. Moreover, the countries, especially US, Britain, and France, will be
taking the leading role in urging the UN Security Council to take action.
How far the pressure will take affect depends on the internal political
developments of Burma. That is why, as we mentioned earlier, we see that
international pressure together with the people's activities needs to be
coordinated and well balanced. We will do as much as we possible can from
the outside and we believe the people inside will do as much as they
possible can. We believe we can create a possible change depending on the
momentum and balance of the two activities. (BBC monitoring
service)
___________

Irrawaddy July 22 2003

Journal Office Raided, Editors Arrested
By Kyaw Zwa Moe

Burma’s military authorities searched the offices of the country’s
best-selling journal and arrested five staff members last week,
journalists in Rangoon say. According to sources, the chief editor and
another staff member remain in custody.
At 2.00 pm last Thursday, military intelligence officers seized on First
Eleven, a weekly Burmese language sports journal. "About three dozen MI
officers raided the office and searched it until 6 pm," a Rangoon-based
editor of another magazine told The Irrawaddy.

The source says chief editor Zaw Thet Htwe, editor Zaw Myint, chief
officer Dr Than Htut Aung, another staffer Soe Pa Pa Hlaing, as well as
Myint Zaw—who edits an affiliated news journal in Rangoon—were arrested
and taken away for questioning. After two days, three men were released
but Zaw Thet Htwe and Soe Pa Pa Hlaing are reportedly still being
detained.

First Eleven is a weekly journal covering mainly international sports
news. Based in Rangoon with offices in Yuzana Tower, Bahan Township, the
journal has a weekly circulation estimated close to 100,000. The journal
usually avoids political news.

Sources in Rangoon are not sure why officials raided the journal, but some
journalists in the capital say the crackdown was in response to sensitive
news published in previous editions of First Eleven. Last month First
Eleven was given a warning after it printed an article asking what
happened to a grant from the international community to develop football
in Burma, the exiled National Coalition Government for the Union of Burma
(NCGUB) reported.

 Sources in Rangoon are not sure why officials raided the journal, but
some journalists in the capital say the crackdown was in response to
sensitive news published in previous editions of First Eleven

Others say the suspected political links of some staffers led to the
arrests. Zaw Thet Htwe was general secretary of the Democratic Party for a
New Society in 1989, a party banned by the junta and now operating in
exile. He also spent years as a political prisoner in the 1990s.

Soe Pa Pa Hlaing is the daughter of Ohn Kyaing, a Member of Parliament for
the opposition National League for Democracy and currently a political
prisoner. Ohn Kyaing also worked in the media, editing the Burmese
language Botahtaung newspaper and writing under the pen name, Aung Wint.

Authorities closely monitor journalists and editors in Burma. All material
for publication in state and privately owned magazines, journals,
newspapers and books need to pass censors at the junta’s Press Scrutiny
Board.

INTERNATIONAL

Agence France Presse July 22 2003

Myanmar issue may be referred to UN Security Council for resolution
By P. PARAMESWARAN

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan may refer the raging Myanmar issue to the
Security Council unless the country's military rulers release
pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi soon, diplomats said Tuesday ahead
of ministerial talks here between Asia and Europe.

The pressure on Myanmar built up as senior officials from Europe pressed
for the inclusion of the issue on the agenda of the meeting of foreign
ministers from the two continents beginning Wednesday on the resort island
of Bali.

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad warned at the weekend that
Myanmar might have to be expelled from the Association of Southeast Asian
Nations (ASEAN) if its military junta defies world pressure to release
Aung San Suu Kyi.

Annan's special envoy on Myanmar, former Malaysian diplomat Razali Ismail,
"is not too optimistic" about an early release, according to a delegate to
the Asia Europe Meeting (ASEM) here.

Razali expressed his pessimism during a recent meeting in New York with
permanent representatives to the UN from several key Asian and European
countries and the United States, the delegate said.

"Mr Razali indicated that the UN Secretary-General will consider the
possibility of including Myanmar on the agenda of the Security Council if
there is no immediate resolution to the problem," the delegate told AFP.

The Myanmar regime announced on May 31 that Aung San Suu Kyi had been
detained. She was held after a junta-backed mob attacked her supporters in
violence feared to have left dozens dead.

The international community has responded angrily, with the United States
and European Union beefing up sanctions and ASEAN issuing an unprecedented
call last month for her immediate release.

Diplomats said Razali has also underlined his concern on Myanmar to ASEAN
and has urged the grouping to maintain its strong advocacy and not be
swayed by what one official termed Yangon's "lightning diplomacy."

Myanmar's junta chief, General Than Shwe, has sent on short notice his
deputy foreign minister U Khin Maung Win to several Asian countries
including the ASEAN states to explain Yangon's position.

During the trip to several ASEAN states the special envoy showed officials
photographs to back claims that Suu Kyi was detained for her own safety,
an informed source said.

"They are playing the same old tune and not offering anything new to bring
a quick resolution to the problem," the source said. "It is a show of
desperation but it is important to note at the same time that Myanmar is
beginning to respond to pressure."

Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines are reportedly spearheading the
ASEAN pressure on Myanmar.

"Mahathir's notice of Myanmar's possible expulsion is a very good sign but
there should also be strong pressure from the other ASEAN states,
especially Indonesia," a Southeast Asian-based European diplomat said.

"Indonesia is the current chairman of ASEAN and they have the political
weight to move ASEAN," the diplomat said.

Indonesian Foreign Minister Hassan Wirayuda has invited Razali, the only
independent person to have met Aung San Suu Kyi since her detention, to
meet ASEAN ministers in Bali.

They are expected to discuss sending a ministerial mission to Myanmar
before the ASEAN Bali summit in October.

Officials said Wirayuda had invited his Myanmar counterpart to the ASEM
meeting to provide "a channel of communication" between Asia and Europe on
Aung San Suu Kyi's detention.

"But the Myanmar minister rejected the offer after European delegates
pressed for the Myanmar issue to be included as a special agenda in the
talks," a source said. "He was understandably worried he will be the
target of criticism."

ASEM's Asian side is made up of seven of the 10 ASEAN members -- Brunei,
Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam --
plus China, Japan and South Korea.

The 15 European Union members make up the other side of the grouping.

ASEAN members Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia are not members of ASEM.
___________

Associated Press July 22 2003

EU warns that Myanmar's detention of Suu Kyi hurts relations with Asia;
Yangon says it releases 91 dissidents
By YEOH EN-LAI

The European Union warned Tuesday that Myanmar's detention of
pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi could hurt Europe's relations with
Asia, while the military government in Yangon said it had freed 91
opposition members.

Asia is under increasing pressure to get tough on Myanmar's ruling
generals after they detained Nobel Peace Prize winner Suu Kyi and hundreds
of her followers May 30 following a clash with junta supporters that left
an unknown number of dissidents dead.

Myanmar gave few details about those released Tuesday, saying that 31 of
them were "assisting" police, without clarifying what was meant by
assistance. The government's statement about the releases made no mention
of Suu Kyi or when she would be released.

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad has said in a recent interview
that Myanmar could even be expelled from the Association of Southeast
Asian Nations as a "last resort" if Myanmar doesn't free Suu Kyi.

However, his foreign minister, Syed Hamid Albar, said Tuesday that the
ASEAN nations would need to reach a "consensus" on the issue first.

Not all Asian countries support a tough stance against Myanmar. Thailand
opposes Yangon's expulsion from ASEAN, and on Tuesday said it would
propose that Myanmar be allowed to join the ASEM group of Asian and
European countries.

"The fact that Myanmar is outside ASEM will not lead to the improvement of
(its) human rights record," Foreign Minister Surakiarta Sathirathai said
in a statement ahead of a meeting Wednesday and Thursday of ASEM foreign
ministers on Indonesia's resort Bali island.

However, an EU diplomat at the conference, speaking on condition of
anonymity, said any move to have Myanmar join the group would be opposed
by the European Union.

The European Union said in a statement it was "deeply concerned" about the
situation in Myanmar, also known as Burma, and warned the issue could
stall "relations with the region as a whole."

Ministers at the ASEM meeting were expected to issue a statement calling
for Suu Kyi's early release.

Most foreign ministers from East Asian countries were scheduled to attend
the talks. However, only three ministers from Europe - from Italy, Ireland
and Belgium - were attending, the EU statement said. Vice ministers from
other European nations were planning to attend.

In a possible sign that pressure from its neighbors is having some effect,
Myanmar is sending an envoy to discuss the Suu Kyi's detention with
Indonesia's president next week, Indonesia's Foreign Minister Hasan
Wirayuda said.

Indonesia currently chairs ASEAN and is an influential member of the
Southeast Asian grouping.

Wirayuda gave few details of the planned meeting, but said he hoped it
would lead to Suu Kyi's release.

Last week, the United States moved toward imposing economic sanctions
against Myanmar. Many EU countries have also imposed tough measures
against the regime.

Except for a brief meeting with U.N. envoy Razali Ismail last month, no
outsider has been allowed to see Suu Kyi.
_________

Agence France Presse July 22 2003

Asia pushes for Myanmar's inclusion in ASEM despite European objections
By AHMAD PATHONI

Asian nations will push for the inclusion of Myanmar in a key Asia-Europe
forum even though most of them have criticised the military-ruled nation
for detaining democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi, an official said Tuesday.

Only seven of the 10 members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations
(ASEAN) -- Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore,
Thailand and Vietnam -- together with China, Japan and South Korea
represent the region in the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) forum.

Aside from Myanmar, the two other ASEAN newcomers Cambodia and Laos are
not ASEM members.

The 15 European Union members, who make up the other side of the ASEM
grouping, have objected to Myanmar's inclusion due to the detention of
Aung San Suu Kyi.

"ASEAN's position is that we are asking to include Laos, Myanmar and
Cambodia in ASEM. It should be a priority and in one package," Indonesian
foreign ministry official Retno Marsudi told reporters.

"Our position is fully supported by the northeast Asian countries (China,
Japan and South Korea)," said Marsudi.

She was speaking after chairing a meeting of senior officials from the 10
Asian nations in Indonesia's Bali island in preparation for the ASEM
foreign ministers' meeting beginning Wednesday.

Marsudi acknowledged Europe's opposition to Myanmar's membership but said
"we are still discussing it.

"We are trying to find a solution and the most important thing is Asia's
position is firm on this issue," she said.

Marsudi stressed that "there was no problem" among the seven ASEAN members
as well as Japan, China and South Korea in backing Myanmar as well as
Cambodia and Laos in their bid for membership of ASEM.

Aung San Suu Kyi was detained by the military junta following violent May
30 clashes between a pro-junta mob and her supporters. The junta says it
is holding here for her own safety.

Since then an unknown number of members of her opposition National League
for Democracy have been thrown into custody as part of a wider crackdown.

The international community has responded angrily, with the United States
and European Union beefing up sanctions and ASEAN issuing an unprecedented
call last month for Myanmar to release Aung San Suu Kyi.

Japan, Myanmar's largest donor nation, has also notified Yangon it would
suspend new financial assistance to the country.

But China, one of the few countries which maintains political ties with
Myanmar, has remained largely silent on the issue, saying it did not want
to interfere in Myanmar's "internal affairs."

The European side has indicated it wanted to enlarge ASEM to include the
10 prospective new EU members.

Arrizal Effendi, who chaired the ASEM senior officials meeting Tuesday,
said the "enlargement" of the forum would be determined by a summit
meeting in Hanoi next year.

New membership is expected to be among key issues to be discussed by the
ASEM foreign ministers although it might not be included in the official
agenda, which comprises, among others, the Myanmar problem, the North
Korean nuclear issue and the post-Iraq war situation.

The Europeans have asked for a special session to debate the Myanmar
issue. The Asian side objects to a special session.
_________

Reuters July 22 2003

Chirac backs Mahathir's efforts to free Suu Kyi

KUALA LUMPUR, July 22 — French President Jacques Chirac on Tuesday backed
Malaysia's policy of Asian-style diplomacy to persuade Myanmar's military
junta to release pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
        Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad has argued that an Asian
policy of constructive engagement was more likely to persuade the
junta to relax its grip than heavy-handed Western pressure.
       At the weekend Mahathir was reported as saying Myanmar could
eventually be expelled from the Association of South East Asian
Nations (ASEAN) if it failed to free Nobel peace laureate Suu Kyi,
who was detained on May 30 after clashes between her supporters and
pro-government groups.
       During a six-hour stopover in Kuala Lumpur, Chirac met Mahathir and
his deputy Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, who will succeed Asia's longest
serving elected leader when he steps down in October after 22 years
in charge.
       At a brief news conference before Chirac took a midnight flight to
New Caledonia, the two leaders voiced common viewpoints over
Myanmar, formerly known as Burma.
       ''We may still get a response from Burma, from Myanmar. But
whatever we do we must not think about invading Myanmar in order to
achieve regime change,'' said Mahathir.
Chirac said: ''My sentiments exactly.''
       ''I do not approve of the attitude of the Burmese authorities and,
of course, I favour democracy in Burma and that means releasing
Aung San Suu Kyi and other political opponents,'' he said.
       Like Chirac, the Malaysian leader has been a vocal critic of the
U.S.-led war on Iraq. The two leaders were meeting for the fifth
time in less than a year.
       Myanmar will be a burning issue at a meeting of Asian and European
foreign ministers on the Indonesian island of Bali on Wednesday.
       Mahathir's warning of expulsion from ASEAN was particularly
significant because he championed Myanmar's admission to the
grouping in 1997.

REGIONAL

Nation July 23 2003

Asean calls meeting on Burma

Asean foreign ministers will hold an ad-hoc meeting today on the
Indonesian resort island of Bali to discuss the political deadlock in
Burma, amid mounting international pressure for the release of
pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

Foreign Minister Surakiart Sathirathai said the special meeting would be
held on the sidelines of the two-day Asia-Europe Meeting (Asem) aimed at
easing the pressure on Burma's military junta.

Burma, Laos and Cambodia, who are not Asem members, were invited to attend
the special meeting. Surakiart said only Laos had expressed interest in
attending.

In a telephone conversation with his Indonesian counterpart N Hassan
Wirajuda, two days after Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad
publicly said Asean might expel Burma if the junta continued to detain Suu
Kyi, Surakiart said he agreed that it was premature to discuss the
expulsion of Burma. Asean should make a collective effort to end the
deadlock, he said.

Surakiart also suggested that Burma, Laos and Cambodia be allowed to join
Asem, but some European Union members were concerned about Burma's
inclusion.

Asean foreign ministers have invited UN special envoy to Burma Razali
Ismail to the meeting, he said. Ismail has been the only foreign diplomat
to meet Suu Kyi since her arrest.

Razali will also meet Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in Langkawi,
Malaysia this coming weekend to discuss the Burma issue, he said.

The international community was outraged when the Burmese junta detained
Suu Kyi and two dozen of her followers at the end of May, following a
reported massacre of her supporters by a pro-junta youth group.

UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan was yesterday reported to have said he
would refer the Burma issue to the Security Council if the situation
remained unresolved.
_________

Nation July 22 2003

ASEAN MEMBERSHIP: Give Rangoon time: Surakiart

Thailand cool on Mahathir's remarks that Burma be expelled over Suu Kyi's
detention

Thailand yesterday downplayed Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad's
comment that Burma could be expelled from Asean if the junta persists on
defying international pressure to release pro-democracy leader Aung San
Suu Kyi.

Foreign Minister Surakiart Sathirathai said Asean does not have a position
and that what Mahathir said was a personal take on the matter.

Surakiart urged the international community and the regional grouping to
give the Rangoon government more time to solve its domestic problems.

"Burma's membership in Asean provides a direct channel to communicate with
Rangoon," Surakiart said. "If this channel is closed, then there will be
no avenue to solve the problem."

Indonesia entered the debate yesterday, echoing Malaysia's stance, saying
the matter should be resolved as soon as possible because continued
detention of Suu Kyi would damage Asean as a whole.

"I think with time, the longer this issue is allowed to remain unresolved,
the more it would constitute a setback, not only to the reconciliation
process in Myanmar [Burma] itself, but also a setback to Asean ...
indirectly," Indonesian Foreign Ministry spokesman Marty Natalegawa said
yesterday.

Natalegawa would not directly address the expulsion issue but said
Indonesia, the grouping's current chairman, was expecting a meeting with a
special envoy from Burma to respond to Asean's concerns soon.

He said Asean's consensus on Burma had been reflected at last month's
meeting of the group's foreign ministers in the Cambodian capital. "The
Asean position as reached in Phnom Penh is that Myanmar's government has
promised to respond to the Asean position and in the coming days we
anticipate the Myanmar special envoy to deliver a response," said
Natalegawa.

Mahathir played a big role in Burma's admission into Asean in 1997,
arguing then that Asian-style engagement with the junta was more
appropriate than applying Western pressure.

Rangoon took Nobel peace laureate Suu Kyi into "protective custody" in
late May after a clash between her supporters and a pro-government group,
sparking condemnation by the United Nations, Western countries and major
aid donor Japan.

Since then, Burma has shrugged off international outrage over her
detention, including threats of more Western sanctions. But its action
provoked a rare rebuke from fellow Asean members, usually loath to
criticise one another in public, during the meeting in Cambodia.

Last week, Thailand proposed a "road map" for democratic change in Burma
but spoke out against US sanctions plans.

Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy swept to victory in 1990 elections
but was never allowed to take power.
_________

Xinhua News Agency July 22 2003

Thai NSC to discuss problems posed by Myanmar political deadlock

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra called a meeting of the National
Security Council (NSC) to discuss problems concerning national security
which are expected to follow in the wake of the increasing international
pressure on Yangon.

The Premier was quoted by the Thai News Agency Tuesday as saying that
three key issues including the problems of refugees, narcotics, and
illegal labor would be discussed at the meeting.

Thaksin said that, as a close neighbor of Myanmar, Thailand has to be
prepared for rising problems along the border, as immigrants and displaced
persons from Myanmar were expected to increase after the United States
imposed economic sanction against Myanmar, which will force over 350,000
Myanmar workers to lost their jobs.

He promised that Thailand could assist the persons based on the
humanitarian basis just up to an appropriate extent.

Thaksin made the remarks following the increasing pressure on the Myanmar
government by the international community. US congress last week passed a
new law that will ban all Myanmar-made products and further sanctions are
also expected from the European Union and Japan.

Meanwhile, Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad warned in an
interview on July 20 that Myanmar may be expelled from the Association of
Southeast Asian Nations if its government continued defying world pressure
to release Aung San Suu Kyi.
______

Agence France Presse July 22 2003

UN envoy backs Malaysian PM's warning on Myanmar

A threat that Myanmar could be expelled from the ASEAN grouping if the
military junta fails to release democracy activist Aung San Suu Kyi won
support from United Nations special envoy Razali Ismail Tuesday.

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad's comments that an expulsion of
Myanmar from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) might have
to be a last resort showed that the situation was "intolerable", Razali
told AFP.

"The UN depends a lot on ASEAN to take the necessary steps to try to get
Aung San Suu Kyi to be released and to bring about democratic changes in
Myanmar.

"The statement of the prime minister makes clear that the situation is
intolerable.

"ASEAN is very embarrassed by one member and ASEAN has the right to demand
standards of behaviour in terms of governance," the former Malaysian
diplomat said.

"What the PM said will go down well with other leaders in this area and it
will help towards moving the process in freeing Aung San Suu Kyi."

He said Mahathir's statement, made in an interview with AFP, made it clear
that he "is worried in the way it is moving and there must be a time in
which Myanmar must be accountable to its friends, the members of ASEAN."

Mahathir's comments sparked widespread interest in the region,
particularly as he played a key role in bringing Myanmar into ASEAN in
1997, despite strong objections by critics of the military regime.

Mahathir made it clear, however, that expulsion would only be considered
if all other options failed.

Aung San Suu Kyi, whose party won 1990 elections by a landslide but has
been denied power by the military, was detained on May 30 when her convoy
was attacked by a junta-backed mob while she was on a political tour of
northern Myanmar.

The incident triggered a wider crackdown on her National League for
Democracy which has left its entire leadership in jail or under house
arrest.

Although the junta has insisted that Aung San Suu Kyi is being detained on
a temporary basis for her own safety, it has not indicated when she could
be released.

The pressure on Myanmar also built up in Indonesia Tuesday as senior
officials from Europe pressed for the inclusion of the issue on the agenda
of the Asia Europe Meeting (ASEM) beginning Wednesday on the resort island
of Bali.
________-

Bernama July 22 2003

MALAYSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER ON SINGAPORE WATER DISPUTE, BURMA, NORTH KOREA

Putrajaya, 22 July: Foreign Minister Datuk Sri Syed Hamid Albar said that
the door for negotiation is still open to Singapore towards resolving the
water dispute between the republic and Malaysia. He said Malaysia was
willing to sit down and negotiate and it was now up to Singapore to take
the next step.

"I think the ball is at Singapore's feet now. It is up to them to do
whatever is necessary. We have said that we have not closed the door to
negotiation. "If Singapore wants to do it, they can contact us and we will
be quite happy to sit down with them," he said when commenting on the
publication of a series of advertisements and a booklet by the government
to correct misconceptions and allegations made by Singapore over the
stalled water negotiations.

Syed Hamid was speaking to reporters after receiving a visit from his
South Korean counterpart, Yoon Young-Kwan, at the Foreign Ministry here.

The 20-page booklet entitled "Water: The Singapore-Malaysia Dispute -The
Facts" was published by the National Economic Action Council (NEAC) to
counter claims which appeared in the Singaporean publication, "Water
Talks? If Only It Could".

It hit the streets on Monday at three cents (Malaysian currency) a copy,
the price Singapore is currently paying for every 1,000 gallons of
Malaysia's raw water, which is at the centre of the dispute.

Syed Hamid pointed out that while the matter was still unresolved,
Malaysia had continued supplying water to Singapore as a reasonable
neighbour.

"Let us not go on the rhetoric and try to blame each other. Let us look at
what is the real situation and resolve the issue in a serious and sincere
manner," he said.

On another matter, the minister said the statement made by Prime Minister
Datuk Sri Dr Mahathir Mohamed that Burma risked being expelled from ASEAN
if it refused to release detained pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi
should be viewed as a "reminder from a good friend".

"We are willing to say things out to a fellow ASEAN country not in a
confrontational way but in order for Burma to take heed of the views of
the international community.

"It is better to have internal persuasion rather than strong external
pressure that will force them into a more difficult situation," he said.

He also said that it was important for the Burmese government to set a
date for Suu Kyi's release and continue with the country's reconciliation
process.

On his talks with Yoon, Syed Hamid said that they exchanged views on
issues like the situation on the Korean Peninsula, Palestine and Iraq.

"On the subject of the Korean Peninsula, the Republic of Korea wants to
see the issue of nuclear (non-proliferation) in the North resolved through
peaceful means and not through any threat of regime change," he said.
_________

Kyodo News Service July 22 2003

ASEAN consensus needed on Myanmar, Malaysia says
By Vivian Ho

There must be a consensus in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations
(ASEAN) on how to handle Myanmar, which has ignored international pleas to
release democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, Malaysian Foreign Minister Syed
Hamid Albar said Tuesday.

'There is a need for it to be discussed and for ASEAN countries to arrive
at a consensus,' he told reporters in an attempt to downplay Prime
Minister Mahathir Mohamad's remarks over the weekend to the media saying
Myanmar faces expulsion, as a last resort, if it continues to detain Suu
Kyi.

'We are not trying to interfere in the internal affairs of Myanmar, but
our prime minister has just reminded Myanmar of the importance of Aung
Sang Suu Kyi being released and the reconciliation process not being
derailed,' Syed Hamid said.

The issue, he added, has affected ASEAN's credibility, especially
Malaysia's, which was instrumental in promoting Myanmar's acceptance into
the group through its policy of 'constructive engagement.'

The arrest of the Nobel Peace Prize laureate led to an unprecedented move
by ASEAN last month when they took leave from their strongly held policy
of noninterference and jointly called for Myanmar to release Suu Kyi.

'We are willing to say out to fellow ASEAN country, not in a
confrontational way but in a way for Myanmar to take heed of the view of
the international community...it must be looked at as a word from a good
friend,' Syed Hamid said.

He believes ASEAN should work out the Myanmar issue itself rather than
involving parties outside the region such as those at the upcoming
Asia-Europe Foreign Ministers' Meeting in Bali where Myanmar is one of the
top agenda items.

'It is better for internal persuasion rather than strong external pressure
that will force them into more difficult situation...the first forum to
discuss the question of Myanmar should be ASEAN countries. We should not
jeopardize our cohesiveness,' he said.

Syed Hamid urged Myanmar to set a definite date for Suu Kyi's release to
appease the international community, which has threatened sanctions
against Myanmar's ruling generals.

'They must show that they are willing to continue with the reconciliation
process,' he said.

ASEAN groups Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the
Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.

ON THE BORDER

Irrawaddy July 22 2003

Burmese Opposition Checked
By Naw Seng

Thai authorities in Mae Hong Son and Tak Provinces have turned the heat up
on Burmese opposition members operating along the Thai-Burma border.
Authorities began collecting personal information on some dissidents,
while ordering others to leave town, according to opposition sources.

Members of opposition groups and ethnic organizations without legal
residency documents were ordered to vacate Mae Sariang in Mae Hong Son
Province after a meeting with Thai authorities last Friday.

Local officials said the order came from Bangkok after the central
government received news of possible demonstrations in towns populated
with Burmese opposition members, according to an opposition source. The
ultimatum mentioned that opposition members must leave by the month’s end.
The source recalled a high-ranking Mae Hong Son Province official telling
those in attendance, "We will arrest you if you don’t move."

In Mae Sot, Tak Province, officials took a different approach. "We can
live in town, however we cannot travel," said Ko Tate, Sec-Gen of the
Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (Burma). Thai authorities
reportedly visited the offices of opposition groups over the weekend to
photograph and record personal information about the workers and take
stock of their office equipment. Ko Tate believes officials could use the
information to protect opposition members from deportation.

Also in Mae Sot, foreign volunteers were reportedly ordered to stop
working with Burmese dissidents and leave town, according to sources. The
assertion was denied by a staff member from one of the volunteer
organizations.

MISCELLANEOUS

Burma Campaign UK July 22 2003

THE ROYAL SOCIETY FOR ASIAN AFFAIRS CALLS OFF TOURIST TRIP TO BURMA

The Burma Campaign UK today welcomed news that the Royal Society for Asian
Affairs is cancelling a planned tourist trip to Burma.  The Burma Campaign
UK has been lobbying for the Society to call off the trip.

Democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who is currently under arrest in an
unknown location, has called for a tourist boycott. Tourism is an
important source of income for the regime, and forced labour has been used
to build tourist infrastructure. Earlier this month the British government
announced it had written to tour operators asking them to stop tours to
Burma.

In a letter to the Burma Campaign UK, Society Chairman Sir Harold Walker
said it would be "inappropriate to organise a visit to Burma at the
present time: the visit planned for October-November will accordingly not
go ahead."

"We congratulate the Royal Society for taking this decision," said Anna
Roberts, Campaigns Officer at the Burma Campaign UK. "It further isolates
the few remaining companies operating tours to Burma."

For more information contact Anna Roberts on 020 7281 7377 or Mark
Farmaner, Media Officer, on 020 7281 7377, mobile 0794 1239640
______

Portsmouth Herald July 22 2003

Refugee from Burma to speak here Saturday

PORTSMOUTH - The military dictatorship in Burma wages a brutal war against
ethnic minority villagers. Soldiers carry out mass human-rights abuses
against unarmed men, women and children, including forced labor, torture,
rape and execution. Over 100,000 people have fled to refugee camps in
bordering countries, and up to two million survive as internally displaced
people inside the country.
Want to know more?
North Church of Portsmouth is sponsoring a program to help raise money to
support a Burmese refugee from an indigenous human-rights group to spend a
year as a high-school exchange student in the United States. Come and
listen to current Burmese exchange student, Htar Htar Yu speak about her
life living as an internally displaced person and a refugee along the
Thailand/Burma border. A documentary film will also be shown. Money raised
will help bring Htun Sein, another Burmese refugee student, to the United
States for a year of study.
When: Saturday, July 26, 2003, 7:30 p.m.
Where: North Church Parish House, 355 Spinney Road, Portsmouth.
Suggested Donation: $10 per person. Refreshments will be served.
If you cannot attend this event, we will be happy to accept your donation.
Checks may be made out to the North Church of Portsmouth.
For more information contact: Anji Hamilton 436-6029.