BurmaNet News: July 23 2003

editor at burmanet.org editor at burmanet.org
Wed Jul 23 17:54:21 EDT 2003

July 23 2003 Issue #2290

INSIDE BURMA

AP: Myanmar official media accuse Suu Kyi of destroying hopes for
reconciliation
AFP: Four Myanmar journalists arrested over football article: media groups
Xinhua: Myanmar, UNICEF review cooperation program
DVB: SPDC releases NLD officials in Yenangyaung
DVB: Burma frees 91 detainees, makes new arrests
Narinjara: Burmese junta’s attempt to divert people’s attention from the
Depeyin Massacre

INTERNATIONAL

Bernama: Malaysia premier, French president agree on Iraq, Burma issues

REGIONAL

AFP: Thai, Malaysian leaders to hold talks on Myanmar crisis
Narinjara: NCUB calls on the ASEM to seriously take the matters relating
to developments inside Burma
AFP: Asian European ministers to demand release of Myanmar’s democracy icon
Bernama: UN’s Burma envoy sees need for regional ‘standard of behavior’
The Age: Burmese political crisis threatens rupture armong neighbors
Narinjara: Burmese fish: concern for Bangladesh

EDITORIALS/OPINIONS

FT: Free Suu Kyi now
Nation: ASEAN must reflect before axing Burma

INSIDE BURMA

Associated Press July 23 2003

Myanmar official media accuse Suu Kyi of destroying hopes for reconciliation
By AYE AYE WIN

Myanmar's official newspapers on Wednesday said pro-democracy leader Aung
San Suu Kyi's "provocative" attitude has dashed hopes for reconciliation
with the military government.

The commentary - the last in a 12-part series against the Nobel laureate -
was purportedly written by a disgruntled member of her National League for
Democracy party, who blamed Suu Kyi for the May 30 clash with junta
supporters that led to her arrest.

Western diplomats have dismissed the stinging commentaries as fabricated
given the little credibility that Myanmar's military government or its
state media have.

The latest segment - published in all three official newspapers - said Suu
Kyi's release from house arrest last year had raised hopes for an end to
the country's political deadlock, which began when the junta took power
after crushing a pro-democracy movement in 1988.

"Just when we had begun to see a ray of hope, it has been dashed to the
ground with a tragic incident caused by the lack of insight and good
judgment on our party," said the commentary, signed by party member Maung
Yin Hmaing.

Suu Kyi was arrested on May 30 after what witnesses and dissidents say was
a planned attack on her motorcade by pro-junta thugs in northern Myanmar.
They say many people were killed in the attack.

The government denies any hand in the violence and says four people were
killed in a clash that started after Suu Kyi's motorcade plowed through a
crowd of government supporters.

It says Suu Kyi is being kept in temporary "protective custody" for her
own safety but doesn't say who poses a danger to her. It has refused to
free her despite intense international pressure including from neighbors
and allies such as Malaysia.

Many suspect that Suu Kyi's arrest was stage managed by the junta in a bid
to put an end to her travels in the countryside, where she was becoming
increasingly popular.

Wednesday's commentary said the opposition party used "all means to incite
people, exploit the personal popularity of an individual to slander and
criticize the government ... Auntie Suu's speeches are full of innuendoes
and sly allegations."

It said all the anti-NLD demonstrations staged by local people during her
tours were the result of her "provocative and insulting speeches."

A Western diplomat, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said it was clear
that the commentary was "made up." The diplomat described it as "vicious
and counterproductive."

The current junta came to power in 1988 after crushing a pro-democracy
movement. It called elections in 1990 but refused to hand over power when
Suu Kyi's party won. Suu Kyi won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991.
_________

Agence France Presse July 23 2003

Four Myanmar journalists arrested over football article: media groups

Four Myanmar journalists were arrested over an article on a football team
and two are still being held at an undisclosed location, press watchdog
Reporters Without Borders said Wednesday.

The group (Reporters Sans Frontieres - RSF) expressed outrage at the
arrests of the journalists with weekly sports magazine First Eleven on
July 17 and demanded their release.

RSF said military intelligence raided the magazine's office and handcuffed
and detained chief editor Zaw Thet Htwe and journalists Than Htut Aung,
Zaw Myint and Soe Pa Pa Hlaing.

"The editor, a former political prisoner who served a four-year sentence,
was reportedly beaten," RSF said in a joint statement with the Burma Media
Association (BMA).

The article dealt with a fine imposed by the organisers of the Asian
Champion Club tournament on a Myanmar football team for failing to
participate, it said.

RSF said that the military government's move showed "there was no room in
Burma for any news reporting that challenged the will and the caprices of
the generals in power."

Soldiers also briefly detained the wife of Zaw Thet Htwe who works for the
privately owned magazine Living Colour. Than Htut Aung and Zaw Myint were
freed on July 19, it said.

RSF said that First Eleven, with a circulation of more than 50,000, had
earlier been warned over an article questioning how a 4.0 million-dollar
international grant for football promotion in Myanmar had been spent.

In a statement sent to foreign embassies in Yangon and seen by AFP
Wednesday, Myanmar's junta said it had released 91 prisoners detained over
May 30 clashes between democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi's supporters and
members of a military-backed organisation.

Aung San Suu Kyi was arrested after the violence that erupted during a
political tour of northern Myanmar. A wider crack-down on her opposition
party has left its entire leadership in jail or under house arrest.

RSF said that despite announcing that the prisoners had been released, the
press watchdog and the BMA "can only confirm that additional persons are
being subjected to arbitrary arrest."
___________

Xinhua News Agency July 23 2003

Myanmar, UNICEF review cooperation program

Myanmar and the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) held their joint
advisory group meeting here on Tuesday to review their current program of
cooperation for 2001-05, official newspaper The New Light of Myanmar
reported Wednesday.

The meeting was attended by officials of Myanmar partner agencies, East
Asia and Pacific Regional Office and UNICEF as well as representatives of
some other UN agencies.

The meeting discussed health and nutrition, basic education and children
in need of special protection, water and environmental sanitation,
information and communication and capacity building for planning and
monitoring covered by the five-year program, the newspaper said.

In the previous four-year Myanmar-UNICEF cooperation program ( 1996-2000),
UNICEF provided Myanmar with 56 million US dollars of assistance in the
implementation of the program undertaken by five Myanmar ministries of
health, agriculture and irrigation, education, social welfare, relief and
resettlement, and national planning and economic development.

Since becoming a member of the United Nations, Myanmar has been
cooperating with UN agencies and actively taking part in the world body's
programs such as UN Development Program, UN Population Fund, UN
Environment Program and UN Drug Control Program in addition to the UNICEF.
___________

Democratic Voice of Burma July 22 2003

SPDC releases NLD officials in Yenangyaung

It is reported that the four NLD members from Yenangyaung Township who
were arrested on the 6th and 8th of July are released today by the SPDC.

Ko Than Aung of Yenangyaung NLD youth and Ko Aung Thein Oo of Natmauk NLD
youth who were arrested on the 6th of July were released yesterday. U Khin
Win, the chairman of Yenangyaung Township NLD and the secretary U Maung
Maung who were arrested on the 8th were released this morning. They were
arrested with the charge of trying to rally MPs to write a petition letter
to General Than Shwe urging him to enquire into the Dipeyin incident. Ko
Aung Thein Oo and Ko Than Aung were released from Myothit Police Station
and U Maung Maung and U Khin Win were released from Yenangyaung detention
centre.

U Maung Maung told the DVB about his experiences of being interrogated
during the two-week detention as follows:

U Maung Maung : They invited me and the chairman on the 8th of July
Tuesday at about noon to have lunch with them. They didn’t ask any new
questions. They asked if it was true that we told Ko Than Aung to act on
the matter. We told them so and it was their duty. First, they kept us
together. We were sent to our cell at about midnight. At about one in the
morning, they woke us up and took U Khin Win to another cell in accordance
with the order from above, they told us. I was in the cell on my own

DVB : Did they impose restrictions on you politically?

U Maung Maung : They released us and then they told us to go to the
intelligence office. They showed us a document and asked us to put our
signatures on it. The document says that we will not do anything that
damage the ‘nation’ [government] and that we understand that if we did
that we would be prosecuted by the Interior Ministry. I said that I am
reluctant to sign it. But they insisted that it is only to say that we
understand and the like. So we had to put our signatures on that document.
The judge said that U Khin Win and U Maung Maung are to be released

DVB : While you were detained, who took the responsibility for your welfares?

U Maung Maung : Yes. It was very good. I have been wanting to tell you
this. Our welfares were taken care by the NLD. The local NLD members took
the responsibility in turn. There are women organisation, youth
organisation, party members; they send various meals and things once in
the morning and once in the evening everyday. They sent medicines and
plenty of food. A township officer and the like came to see us. He asked
us what we wanted to say to the family. I told them that I could not have
contact with my family as I am inside. And I told them that I have a
father who is 85 years old. There are only two of us in the family. My
father would be starving as there is no one to cook for him
As for the
chairman, he had to ford the river and it was not easy for him to make
contact with his family. We will eat what they have here, I said. Then,
the officer said that we wouldn’t be able to eat the prison food. Each
prisoner is fed only 5 kyats [around 0.5 cents] worth of food a day. The
prison only provides rice and it is never sufficient. I asked him why. The
government only provides 5 kyats worth of food and no curry, he told me.
It is the worst type of rice. Each portion is about 250 grams. You can’t
eat enough with that amount. I did ask them about it properly. You also
have to buy your own water for your shower in prison. [Giggles]

U Maung Maung also described how Ko Than Aung and Ko Aung Thein Oo were
arrested as follows:

U Maung Maung : We sent Ko Than Aung from Natmauk to Myothit to run errand
for us on the matter of letter to be signed by the MPs. Aung Thein Oo had
some matters to attend to at Myothit and he accompanied Ko Than Aung from
Natmauk and he was also arrested. His motorbike was confiscated and fined
5000 kyats. Ko Than Aung came home yesterday at about four in the evening.
He was delivered from Myothit intelligence to Natmauk intelligence and the
police took him home.
_________

Democratic Voice of Burma July 22 2003

Burma frees 91 detainees, makes new arrests

It has been learned that just as the SPDC (State Peace and Development
Council) has released some detainees on one side, it has continued to
arrest more prisoners on the other. Military Intelligence personnel and
local police force members raided Thwe Say Kan and Popa Yone monasteries
in Rangoon and detained some Mon monks alleging that Mon monks have been
engaging in political activities.
According to a news report from Independent Mon News Agency, authorities
arrested three members of Mon National Democratic Front in recent days.
The SPDC Military Intelligence personnel also raided New Mon State Party
member Nai Yet Kha's house in Moulmein and seized all the documents.
Furthermore, regional authorities have been keeping a close watch on the
activities of the Mon students.

Similarly, two NLD (National League for Democracy) members have been
arrested in Kawthaung, Tenasserim Division, under Section 5-j (of the
Emergency Provisions Act) by the SPDC. Those arrested were NLD members U
Than Tun and U Kyaw Kyaw alias Ko Than Gyaung. They were arrested on 3
July for distributing the People's Desire leaflets and accused of engaging
in activities creating mistrust in the government.

According to the latest news report from AFP, the SPDC has released 91
people detained following the 30 May Tabayin incident. The SPDC Foreign
Ministry press release said the majority of those released were NLD
members and they were sent back to their homes. However, the SPDC failed
to mention how many were arrested in the Tabayin incident, how many are
still being detained, and no indication is given on when Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi will be released.

Although the SPDC has been releasing those detained following the 30 May
Tabayin incident, DVB has learned that they had to sign an undertaking,
that they would not say anything to anybody, prior to their release.
_________

Narinjara News July 23 2003

Burmese Junta’s attempt to divert people’s attention from the Depeyin
Massacre

Sittwe, 23rd July 03:  Burma’s ruling State Peace and Development Council
junta has ordered formation of paramilitary Pyithu Seik to divert people’s
attention from the Depeyin Massacre on 30th May, said a political analyst.

Sending messages of high alert of an ‘impending war’ among the defence
forces and the general people, the Burmese junta has issued orders to give
compulsory military training to the family members of all the defence
personnel aged between eighteen and forty, irrespective of sexes,
according to sources in the administration.

All the non-Rakhine members of the defence forces have also been directed
to learn the local Rakhine language so that in case of war breaking out
they can get mixed with the local population.  The existing forces in the
army and navy have been brought under intensive and specialized training
courses for facing a possible war.

In Minbra Township, about 50 miles south of Sittwe, the capital of Rakhine
State in western Burma, the Light Infantry Battalions 345, 353, 536, 537,
541, 542, and 543, (under Tactical Command Sakakha15) have been conducting
large scale special war training beginning June 11.

Meanwhile, each village tract all over the seventeen townships of Rakhine
State has been directed to recruit at least 30 Pyithu-seik paramilitary
forces as a preparation for what the Burmese junta branded as ‘an imminent
war’ though there is no mention of who the enemy is, said a village
headman from Minbra.  He himself collected 23 members from his own village
tract, and is trying hard to fulfil the quota.  But because of people
moving out of villages for earning livelihood elsewhere in Burma proper or
in the larger towns the village headman said that he failed to get the
rest seven persons to fulfil the demand of the army.

At Buthidaung Township, nearly twenty miles from the Bangladesh border,
the hill people including Khami, Mro and Daingnet living in the eastern
part of the town, have been given military training and provided with arms
and ammunitions.

The people of Rakhine have been passing days of high alert and concern due
to the almost warlike situation prevailing.  In the border areas,
especially close to India and Bangladesh new deployment of troops and
fortification of existing battalions have been reported.  In Paletwa
Township, under Chin State, the troops along the border with India have
been put on high alert.

“Since the Depeyin Massacre in which more than seventy National League for
Democracy supporters were killed by the Burmese junta sponsored thugs, a
big divide has been created inside the army as well as among the people.
The alert of impending war is a false signal by the SPDC junta meant to
divert the attention of the people and bring unity among the dissenting
soldiers,” a leader from the NLD in Sittwe said.

INTERNATIONAL

Bernama July 23 2003

Malaysia premier, French president agree on Iraq, Burma issues

Putrajaya, 23 July: Malaysia and France have agreed that problems in Iraq
cannot be tackled easily and the war-torn nation will surely have a
difficult future.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad said the US attack on
oil-rich Iraq last March to topple the Saddam Husayn regime was not right.

The prime minister said this during a joint press conference with French
President Jacques Chirac, who made a six-hour visit to Malaysia on Tuesday
evening 22 July , at the prime minister's official residence at Seri
Perdana here.

"I do not know about a common stance (on Iraq by the two nations), but we
certainly believe that the situation in Iraq is not going to be easily
tackled and that Iraq will go through a very difficult period and what has
been done to Iraq is wrong," Dr Mahathir said.

About this, Chirac, who was posed with the same question, said: "I fully
share the prime minister's views. I will not add anything... agency
ellipsis I have the same views, before, during and after the war."

On Burma, Dr Mahathir said the international community might still get a
response from the country's military rulers on the release of
pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

"We may still get a response from Burma, but whatever we do, we must not
think about invading Burma in order to achieve a regime change," he said.

Chirac echoed Dr Mahathir's stand, but went further to say that the French
government was against the Burmese military government's stance on the
detention of Suu Kyi.

"I disagree with the attitude of the Burmese military government, and I
favour democracy in Burma, and that means releasing Aung San Suu Kyi and
other political opponents," Chirac said.

On another note, Dr Mahathir said Chirac's brief visit was because the
French president was forced to cancel his scheduled visit in February due
to developments in West Asia the Middle East .

"He did so because he should have come here in February on an official
visit, but he was unable to come because of developments in West Asia. He
said that since he could only make an official visit next year, he decided
to make a brief visit to while I am still the prime minister. This is
something good..., agency ellipsis " Dr Mahathir said.

Dr Mahathir said they discussed international and bilateral matters during
their meeting on Tuesday 22 July , and "we have reached agreement on many
issues".

REGIONAL

Agence France Presse July 23 2003

Thai, Malaysian leaders to hold talks on Myanmar crisis

Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra and his Malaysian counterpart Mahathir
Mohamad will discuss the political crisis in Myanmar during talks this
weekend on the Malaysian resort island of Langkawi, officials said
Wednesday.

During the the two-day talks in Langkawi, which lies near the
Thai-Malaysian border, Thaksin will also meet with United Nations envoy to
Myanmar Razali Ismail, said Thai Foreign Minister Surakiart Sathirathai.

Razali, a former Malaysian diplomat, is the only outsider to have seen
Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi since she was taken into
detention in the wake of May 30 political violence.

"Razali will brief Thaksin on the problem and his meeting with Aung San
Suu Kyi and Razali wants to listen to Thaksin's ideas on how to convince
Myanmar's government to free her," Surakiart told reporters Tuesday.

Thailand has reportedly presented to Myanmar a "roadmap" towards national
reconciliation, which Surakiart plans to discuss with his Myanmar
counterpart Win Aung when he visits Thailand later this month for economic
talks.

The international community has responded angrily to the democracy
activist's detention, with the United States and European Union beefing up
sanctions and ASEAN issuing an unprecedented call last month for her
release.

Mahathir warned Sunday that Myanmar may as a last resort face expulsion
from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) grouping if it
continues defying world pressure to free the 1991 Nobel peace laureate.

The Thai government said in a statement Wednesday that Mahathir had
invited Thaksin to the weekend meeting in Langkawi.

The two leaders are expected to discuss other bilateral issues, including
overland transport links for passengers and perishable goods, and plans to
open new border checkpoints and extend the operating time of checkpoints.

They will witness the signing of two memorandums of understanding on
customs and the stock exchange.
________

Narinjara News July 23 2003

NCUB calls on the ASEM to seriously take the matters relating to
developments inside Burma

Dhaka, 23rd July 03:  The National Council of the Union of Burma in a
statement dated 23rd July 03 welcomed on behalf of the people of Burma the
move to include into the agenda of matters relating to Burma in the
ongoing Asia Europe Meeting (ASEM) at Bali, Indonesia, which is being held
on 23rd and 24th July.

The statement further added that, the declining situation in Burma is no
more confined to the country alone; rather the problems have spread out
and affected the regional security.  Till now the ruling Burmese military
regime have paid no heed to the international call for changes.

The NCUB also hailed the invitation of Mr Razali Ishmail, the special UN
envoy on Burmese affairs into the ASEM, for solving the Burmese crisis by
the EU  ASEAN as proper.

Finally, the NCUB hoped that matters relating to the SPDC junta’s
immediate release of all the NLD members in prisons including the top
leaders of the party U Tin Oo and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, opening the closed
NLD offices, and investigation into the May 30th Depeyin massacre would be
included in the meeting.  The NCUB in all seriousness has urged all the
parties concerned to endeavour and assist in carrying out in unity for the
recognition and implementation of the results of the 1990 general
elections, and formation of the people’s parliament as envisaged by the
Burmese people.

NCUB is the main Burmese political opposition group consisting of Burmese
and non-Burmese political parties.
___________

Agence France Presse July 23 2003

Asian, European ministers to demand release of Myanmar's democracy icon
By  AHMAD PATHONI

Asian and European foreign ministers who begin talks here later Wednesday
are expected jointly to demand the immediate release of Myanmar democracy
icon Aung San Suu Kyi, Indonesian Foreign Minister Hassan Wirayuda said.

Senior officials of both continents agreed after much debate Tuesday that
the detention of the Nobel Peace prizewinner by Myanmar's military junta
should be debated at the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) forum.

Wirayuda acknowledged to reporters late Tuesday that Europe and Asia were
divided on Myanmar but said "I'm sure we'll be able to find acceptable
language in the final document."

He said that at the end of their talks on Thursday, the ASEM ministers
were expected to ask Myanmar "to respond to the expression of concerns by
the international community, including concerns from ASEAN, and meaning
that it has to release Madam Aung San Suu Kyi from detention."

The international community has responded angrily to Suu Kyi's detention,
with the United States and European Union beefing up sanctions. Most Asian
states says sanctions are not the best way to tackle the problem.

Senior officials preparing the agenda for ministers agreed that Myanmar be
debated during the discussion on "new developments in Asia."

The Europeans had wanted to convene a special session on Myanmar but the
Asian side refused, with one official telling AFP: "We don't want this
meeting to deviate from the objective of building bridges between the two
continents."

Wirayuda said: "Difficult as the issue as Myanmar (is) and the difference
in positions between the two groups, I'm sure we'll be able to find
acceptable language in the final document."

He said the joint communique on Myanmar would be quite similar to
positions expressed at recent meetings between the Association of
Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and its key trading partners, including
the European Union (EU), as well as the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF), the
Asia-Pacific's top security forum.

ASEM's Asian side is made up of seven of the 10 ASEAN members -- Brunei,
Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam --
plus China, Japan and South Korea.

The 15 European Union members make up the other side of the grouping.

ASEAN members Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia are not members of ASEM.

Wirayuda, who will chair the meeting, said discussions between the two
continents were essential to "promote the process of reconciliation and
democratization in Myanmar."

Aung San Suu Kyi was detained by the junta following violent May 30
clashes between a pro-junta mob and her supporters. The junta says it is
holding her for her own safety.

An unknown number of members of her opposition National League for
Democracy were thrown into custody as part of a wider crackdown, but 91
detained over the May 30 clashes have so far been released.

ASEAN last month issued an unprecedented call last month for Myanmar to
release Aung San Suu Kyi. And Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad
warned at the weekend that Myanmar might have to be expelled from ASEAN if
its junta defies world pressure.

The UN special envoy on Myanmar, Razali Ismail, told AFP in Kuala Lumpur
late Tuesday that Mahathir's comments showed the situation was
"intolerable."

"ASEAN is very embarrassed by one member and ASEAN has the right to demand
standards of behaviour in terms of governance," Razali said.

Aside from Myanmar, the ASEM ministers will tackle the North Korean
nuclear issue, the Middle East peace process and the recent outbreak of
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, among other topics.
__________

Bernama July 23 2003

UN'S BURMA ENVOY SEES NEED FOR REGIONAL "STANDARD OF BEHAVIOUR"

Kuala Lumpur, 22 July: Tan Sri Razali Ismail said Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir
Mohamad's opinion that Burma might be expelled from ASEAN (Association of
Southeast Asian Nations) if it continued to defy international pressure to
release Aung San Suu Kyi suggested the need for the regional organization
to have a standard of behaviour.

"This is truly the statement that has caught the imagination of all
Malaysians. It is a progressive statement because it indicates the need
for ASEAN to have a standard of behaviour," Razali, who has been given the
mandate as UN special envoy to Myanmar (Burma), said. ASEAN members need
to have a minimum standard of behaviour, he told journalists after the
signing of an underwriting agreement for the listing of Salcon Bhd today.
He is chairman of the company.

Repeating what the prime minister said, Razali said every government needs
to gain the support of all people.

"The people want all leaders of ASEAN to do something for Burma, Suu Kyi,
and democracy there," he said.

Razali is the only independent person to meet the democracy activist since
her detention on 30 May, following violent clashes between her followers
and supporters of the country's junta. (Passage omitted)

Asked whether there should be a time frame for Burma to release Suu Kyi,
Razali said that there should be no time frame.

"It is not a business deal. So, there is no need for a time frame. I
realize the urgency of the matter, but it is very complicated and various
efforts are needed to settle it," he said.

Razali said the ASEAN leaders should have a firm stance on the settlement
of the Burmese issue and put the process of democracy back on the right
track.

ASEAN is scheduled to send a delegation to Burma regarding the issue,
while the United Nations will wait for the result of the visit before
determining further action.

The release of Suu Kyi and the restoration of democracy in Burma are the
main issues ahead of the Asia-Europe ministerial meeting in Bali on
Wednesday and Thursday (23 and 24 July).
______________

The Age July 23 2003

Burmese Political Crisis Threatens Rupture Among Neighbours
By Mark Baker

Kuala Lumpur -- The political crisis in Burma is threatening to cause a
serious rift between regional governments, with Thailand mounting a strong
campaign against any move to expel the military regime from the
Association of South-East Asian Nations.

Thai leaders have rejected a warning by Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir
Mohamad that the regime could lose its ASEAN membership if it continues to
defy international demands for the release of opposition leader Aung San
Suu Kyi.

Thai Foreign Minister Surakiart Sathirathai said after talks yesterday
with his Indonesian counterpart Hassan Wirajudan, the current chairman of
the 10-country grouping, that they agreed expulsion would be too drastic a
step. "We agree that Myanmar (Burma) should present clear steps on how it
plans to free Aung San Suu Kyi and we don't have any thoughts about
expelling Myanmar from ASEAN," he said.

The upheaval triggered by the arrest seven weeks ago of Ms Suu Kyi and the
shutdown of her National League for Democracy is expected to dominate a
meeting in Bali this week between ASEAN and ministers of the European
Union, which has joined the United States in toughening sanctions against
the Burmese regime.

Dr Mahathir warned at the weekend that ASEAN might be forced, as a last
resort, to expel Burma if the regime continued to embarrass its neighbours
by ignoring calls to free Ms Suu Kyi and refusing to start promised talks
on political reform.

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra dismissed the remarks as "Premier
Mahathir's personal opinion" and said Burma should be given more time to
resolve its political problems. "We agree with the international community
about the concerns over the situation. At the same time, we should give
more time to Myanmar to prove themselves and demonstrate a clear position
that it still wants to have genuine national reconciliation," he said.

Mr Thaksin said Thailand was continuing to check on the condition of Ms
Suu Kyi, who is being held at an undisclosed location in Rangoon. "They
say she is fine. She just does not have freedom . . . She is in no danger
whatsoever," he said.

Thailand has struggled to maintain friendly relations with the Burmese to
ensure co-operation in controlling the flow of drugs and refugees across
their border.

Mr Surakiart confirmed that Burma would be discussed during the Bali
meeting, but denied that attempts would be made to increase pressure on
the regime.

"We are trying to find an exit for the Myanmar Government and also reduce
pressure from the international community, which has imposed sanctions
that will have negative repercussions against Myanmar's poor," he said.
"The meeting is to allow members to exchange views but is not aimed at
putting more pressure on Myanmar."
____________

Narinjara News July 23 2003

Burmese fish: concern for Bangladesh!
By  Sein Mra Aung

The markets of Bangladesh for some time have been flooded with the fish
either imported or smuggled from Burma.  In recent weeks high concern has
been raised about the quality and nature of preserving the Burmese
freshwater and sea fish.

Everyday the fish from Sittwe and Rangoon make their way to Chittagong,
the chief seaport of Bangladesh, loaded in trucks and boats through Teknaf
in the southeastern tip of Bangladesh on the western bank of the Naaf
River that serves as the common border.  From here the fish make their way
to the markets across the country, and also beyond to West Bengal in
India.  The Hilsa (or Rangoon Shad) is the hot item, much prized for its
taste and Indian culinary.  Besides that other freshwater fish including
the Ruhi (trout), Katla (Catla buchamani), Mrigal and Pangas (river
catfish) are in hot demand, too.  For a long time the shrimp industry at
Teknaf and Cox’s Bazaar has been dependent on the shrimp and prawns
illegally and legally brought in from Burma.  In a month or two the season
for shrimp and prawn will begin.

The fish traders at Teknaf have confirmed that the fish from Burma do not
bear any quality certification by any standardization institution and in
the same manner no one on the Bangladesh side conduct any check on the
fish for fitness for general health and hygiene.   That has made way for a
large amount of fish, unfit for human consumption, into the markets of
Bangladesh and beyond.

Sources said that fish from Rangoon come to Teknaf in two ways: in frozen
containers and in large mechanized vessels.  The fish brought in
containers are comparatively better while those brought in mechanized
vessels often fail to meet the health standards since it takes as much as
seven days for a vessel to sail to Teknaf from Rangoon.  In a week’s time
the condition of the fish deteriorates.  By the time the consignment
reaches Bangladesh the fish has already started to go bad.  The same fish
is treated with harmful chemicals to keep firm till delivery.  From Teknaf
the fish, preserved in ice, are now sent to Chittagong, from where they
are trucked and shipped to the destinations inside the country.

According to an estimate by a customs officer who wanted to remain
anonymous, more than twice the volume of legal import of fish is smuggled
into Bangladesh.  Many of the law enforcing agents who are entrusted with
collection of duties are corrupt and in conjunction with the smugglers
they allow the illegal trade to go on.  Because of the absence of the
control of standards, they raise allegations of the consignments of being
below standard to sponge bribes.  Many concerned citizens have raised
questions, how long should this be permitted to go on.

EDITORIALS

Financial Times July 23 2003

Free Suu Kyi now

The stage is set for a classic east-west confrontation over human rights
when Asian and European foreign ministers meet in Bali today. The script,
at least, is largely traditional.

Burma's military junta is refusing to free Aung San Suu Kyi, the popular
politician and Nobel Peace Prize winner ambushed and arrested by the
regime's thugs at the end of May. Outraged western governments are
threatening sanctions. Asian leaders say sanctions might backfire; they
want discreet talks with Burma's generals and some even want Burma
included in future Asia-Europe meetings.

So far, so normal. Fortunately, there is a chance of a diplomatic
denouement very different from the usual slanging match between east and
west.

One reason for optimism is that not all Asian countries are playing their
usual roles. Japan has suspended new aid for Burma following the latest
arrest of Ms Suu Kyi. Malaysia, more surprisingly, has also lost patience
with the regime in Rangoon.

It was Malaysia that brushed aside human rights concerns and led the
campaign to bring Burma into the Association of South East Asian Nations
in 1997. Yet in the past few days, Mahathir Mohamad, the Malaysian prime
minister, and Syed Hamid Albar, his foreign minister, have both mentioned
the idea of expelling Burma from Asean if it fails to mend its ways.

Curiously, Thailand, once considered a promoter of Asian democracy and a
friend to Burmese opposition groups, has changed sides under the hardline
premiership of Thaksin Shinawatra, a businessman and former policeman.
Thai ministers have rejected the idea of punishing Burma and have called
repeatedly for the junta to be given more time to release Ms Suu Kyi.

Even the Rangoon regime's Asian friends, however, are embarrassed by its
egregious human rights abuses and its clumsy attempts to blacken Ms Suu
Kyi's name. The arguments between east and west are mostly over tactics,
not principles. Almost everyone says the aim is to bring democracy and
economic growth to a country too long deprived of both by cruel and
incompetent military rule. Asean has not agreed on sanctions, but it did
break its convention of "non-interference" in the affairs of member states
to call for Ms Suu Kyi's freedom last month.

The west's stand on Burma is no more monolithic than Asia's. The US
Congress is moving towards a complete ban on imports from Burma - which
could violate US obligations under the World Trade Organisation - but
European leaders are not convinced that such sanctions would promote
demo-cracy or help free Ms Suu Kyi.

A strong joint stand between Asia and Europe would not only be rare; it
might also bring results. Yesterday it emerged that Burma would send a
special envoy to Indonesia, which currently chairs Asean, next week to
discuss Ms Suu Kyi's fate. Westerners and Asians alike are waiting for the
same news - they want her free.
____________

Nation July 23 2003

ASEAN must reflect before axing Burma
By Kavi Chongkittavorn

As the key person who pushed for Burma's membership in ASEAN back in 1997,
Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad had the moral obligation to see
to it that the inclusion did not weaken or tarnish ASEAN's reputation. For
six years, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations has endured the
controversial inclusion of Burma, with the former refraining from making
critical comments that would upset the Burmese leaders. This was in
keeping with member countries' long-standing pledge of non-interference in
the internal affairs of other members. But now it is clear that ASEAN has
carried Burma on its back for too long. Mahathir's comment came at a time
when Thailand has intensified its efforts to urge the Burmese junta to
democratize. Thailand has even produced a "road map" to peace and liberty
for the Burmese people that would form the basis for common endeavors to
attain those goals. So far there has been no response from Rangoon.
Mahathir opened a Pandora's box with his threatening talk on Sunday of the
possibility of Burma's expulsion from ASEAN as a last resort if opposition
leader Aung San Suu Kyi was not freed. As ASEAN's longest-reigning leader,
he knows only too well that Burma cannot be expelled from the regional
body, as the grouping does not have any provisions for kicking out an
unruly member. Also, Burma was originally welcomed into ASEAN as a counter
to the association's long-standing fear of China's growing influence in
Burma. That fear has not abated. Obviously, Mahathir's comments have
several purposes. The main aim was to let Rangoon know that from now on,
Burma will have to defend its record on its own. ASEAN, in the prime
minister's view, should no longer defend Burma on the world stage, as it
has done for the past six years.

But Malaysia also has another axe to grind with the junta. In diplomatic
circles, speculation has it that Rangoon has committed two lethal mistakes
in the past months that irked Kuala Lumpur.

First, Burma failed to support Malaysia's proposal to establish a
secretariat comprised of ASEAN plus three (China, South Korea, Japan).
ASEAN members were split over the plan, which was subsequently shelved
because no consensus was attained. Secondly, Burma supported the U.S.-led
war in Iraq, contrary to Malaysia's strong opposition. Burma hoped its
position would ease tensions over human rights abuses with the United
States. Top Malaysian officials perceived this support as brown-nosing.
Mahathir's criticism was deliberate and well-timed. It came ahead of a
scheduled ASEAN summit in October in Bali. Given a step-up in
international pressure on the junta, it also reflects the urgency of ASEAN
priorities. The Oct. 7-8 summit is pivotal for two reasons. Indonesia
wants to signal its return to the ASEAN fold after years of inertia due to
domestic turmoil. Jakarta wants to boost its economic and political
profiles within the grouping. ASEAN senior officials are now discussing
new ideas submitted by Indonesia for deliberation at the meeting. Given
how it has made great progress in democratization since the downfall of
Suharto, Indonesia believes it has a broader moral authority in the
grouping. The weight of its size - Indonesia is ASEAN's most populous
member - is now arguably matched by its social and civil institutions, and
Jakarta is eager to rid itself of its old image. A second reason for the
importance of the summit is that ASEAN leaders realize something must be
done now, rather than later, on Burma. Mahathir's comments serve to
facilitate, if not openly call for, a serious debate on the status of
Burma in the group. It was at the first ASEAN summit in Bali in 1976 that
member states agreed upon the Treaty of Amity of Cooperation, containing
the principle of non-interference. Might the upcoming Bali summit, the
ninth, be the forum where that principle is updated? Malaysia has been
unable to keep secret its desire to see ASEAN come up with a set of
"minimum standards" for conduct by members. In other regional bodies, such
as the Organization of American States, a set of governance guidelines
must be followed strictly, with actions taken by members that threaten
democracy leading to possible suspension and even expulsion from the
group. Since nearly half of the 10 members of ASEAN are not considered to
be democratic nations, it would be difficult to enforce such standards.
One should not forget that in 1993, ASEAN, before the rapid enlargement of
the past decade, was committed to establishing a regional mechanism for
the protection and promotion of human rights.

Now, only the ASEAN Vision 2020, forwarded in 1997, provides a measure of
those past ideals - and a thin measure at that. The vision is one of
vibrant and open societies, and for the democratic members, that is
sufficient grounds upon which to reprimand Burma.

Less democratic members may find more meaning in the vision's goal of
ensuring such societies are "consistent with their respective national
identities." As ASEAN gauges its strengths and weaknesses, it will find
that the document that founded the body, The Bangkok Declaration of 1967,
says plainly that any Southeast Asian country could be a member. No
conditions were attached. It is about time for the grouping to think about
a legally binding constitution that would state the rights and obligations
of its members.