BurmaNet News: October 23, 2003

editor at burmanet.org editor at burmanet.org
Thu Oct 23 15:53:33 EDT 2003

October 23, 2003 Issue #2353

INSIDE BURMA
AFP: Seven students arrested in Myanmar capital: dissident group
Xinhua: Myanmar to become regional transportation hub: PM
US Newswire: Christian Hospital Overrun by Burmese Militia; Attack Occurs
'Next Door' to APEC Summit

MONEY
Xinhua: Myanmar fetches over 17 mln dollars from gem sale

REGIONAL
NST: Mahatir on Burma
AFP: Asian countries still pressing for reforms in Myanmar: Philippines
Mizzima: Burmese Refugees Fight UNHCR for survival

INTERNATIONAL
AFP: China-EU summit to focus on North Korea, Myanmar and Iraq

OPINION / OTHER
SCMP: Much-needed voice to lead Southeast Asia
NCGUB: ‘Roadmap’ Fever
Asia Pacific Defence Reporter: Myanmar and North Korea: Birds of a Feather?

----INSIDE BURMA----

Agence France Presse   October 23, 2003
Seven students arrested in Myanmar capital: dissident group

Seven students have been arrested by Myanmar's military junta for
distributing pamphlets arguing against its proposed political roadmap, a
dissident group said Thursday.

The seven were arrested during the last week of September and are being
held at a military interrogation centre, the All Burma Federation of
Student Unions (ABFSU) said in a statement.

They had been handing out pamphlets issued by the ABFSU arguing that the
junta's democracy "roadmap" announced by Prime Minister General Khin Nyunt
in August did not represent the needs of the country.

The pamphlet called on people to reject the roadmap because it aimed only
to enhance military rule and warned those supporting it would be labelled
"national betrayers."

Khin Nyunt's plan envisages free and fair elections and a new
constitution, but does not mention a timeframe nor opposition leader Aung
San Suu Kyi, who has been detained since a junta-backed mob clashed with
her supporters in May.

Min Naing, director of the ABFSU's Foreign Affairs Committee, demanded the
immediate release of the students.

"If the regime sincerely wants political development in Burma, it must
allow the political participation of all societal layers, freedom of
expression and freedom of association," he said, referring to Myanmar by
its former name.

"The regimes political roadmap wont be sustained if there are no such
freedoms and civil and political rights.

The government has launched a series of mass rallies aimed at showing
public support for the roadmap, the most recent of which was held in Bagan
and attended by some 25,000 people, according to the official press.

Myanmar's junta has come under enormous international pressure,
particularly by the United States, to release Aung San Suu Kyi and shift
the country towards democracy in recent months.

But the regime escaped a mention at the two-day Asia-Pacific Economic
Cooperation (APEC) leaders summit in Bangkok this week, while earlier this
month the regional ASEAN grouping noted "positive developments" in Myanmar
and lent support to the roadmap.

The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), of which Myanmar is a
member, had in June taken the unprecedented step of calling for Aung San
Suu Kyi's release.

Xinhua General News Service   October 23, 2003
Myanmar to become regional transportation hub: PM

YANGON, Oct. 23 (Xinhua) --Myanmar Prime Minister Khin Nyunt predicted
Thursday his country could become a regional transportation hub as the
infrastructure develops and because of its strategic geographical
location, it stands as a natural land bridge connecting southeast Asia and
South Asia.

Khin Nyunt made the remarks at the opening here of the Ninth Meeting of
Transport Ministers of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN),
attended by all ministers from the ten-member grouping and the ASEAN
secretary general.

Khin Nyunt disclosed that plans are already underway to link India to
Thailand through Myanmar and a survey will soon be initiated to establish
road connection between Myanmar and Bangladesh.

He pledged Myanmar's full support for the Singapore-Kunming Rail Link
project, hoping that the spur line project to Myanmar would receive due
attention and support for such a development would link all the countries
on the rail route.

Calling for emphasizing as much as possible the role of transportation
networks connecting all ASEAN nations in march toward a single ASEAN
market and regional integration, Khin Nyunt stressed the need not only to
implement existing projects but also to undertake new initiatives for the
common goal.

He expressed his country's belief that there can be no economic progress
without adequate infrastructure development, giving an account of
Myanmar's infrastructural construction in the past decade involving
construction of 3,200-kilometer new roads and 161 new bridges --seven
spanning the Ayeyawady river, two across the Chindwin river and three
across the Thanlwin river.

Besides, over 1,600 kilometers of new rail lines have been built, he said,
adding that in the past the transportation network was intended mainly to
link the north and south of the country, and today there are road and rail
networks that connect all corners of the nation and connect Myanmar with
all neighboring countries.

With regard to the aviation sector, he also disclosed that seven new
airports have been built and 21 existing ones upgraded to accommodate
larger aircraft.

Relating to maritime transport, he added that Myanmar has built Thilawa,
Thakayta, Alon and other industrial terminals including new modern
container terminals.

The ASEAN transport ministers meeting will last two days.

U.S. Newswire   October 23, 2003
Christian Hospital Overrun by Burmese Militia; Attack Occurs 'Next Door'
to APEC Summit

MAE SOT, Thailand:  On Oct. 15, State Peace and Development Council (SPDC)
militia along with the Rangoon-backed DKBA (Democratic Karen Buddhist
Army) took control of the Mae Ple Do Valley and part of the eastern Dawna
Range in Burma, just west of Maela, Thailand.

A Christian Freedom International (CFI) field hospital was overtaken by
the invading soldiers.

Mae Ple Do Valley is also near the Karen Nationalist Liberation Army
(KNLA) 7th brigade headquarters, which was also overrun.

The Karen, an ethnic group with a significant Christian population, has
been fighting for survival ever since World War II. In recent months the
military dictatorship of Burma has escalated its genocidal campaign
against the Karen.

In 1995 the Rangoon-based junta was successful in its effort to use
religion as a weapon, after it launched an army of Buddhist militants
known as the DKBA. The DKBA targets Christians and Christian facilities.

Naw Baw Baw, CFI's chief medic at CFI Freedom Hospital No.1, said, "this
is our fourth CFI hospital that we have lost within four years. Three were
burned down by SPDC and DKBA forces and the last one we had to abandon and
move all of our supplies and medics to the Thai side of the border."

According to Naw Baw Baw, "The SPDC and DKBA took control of the high
ground on the mountain, one hour and a half walk from Freedom Hospital 1
and they kept firing heavy machine guns such as 120mm, 81mm, 60mm mortars
and RPGs (Rocket Propelled Grenades). They fired until the hospital staff
had to abandon their buildings."

Freedom Hospital No.1 treated between 1000-1500 patients per month. At
each of CFI's field hospitals there are approximately twelve medics
treating patients in the OPD (outpatient department) and IPD (inpatient
department). Many displaced persons fleeing persecution in the jungles
receive lifesaving treatment at CFI Freedom Hospitals.

Naw Baw Baw said, "Even though we already had to rebuild our hospital four
times in different places (three are burned down and the last one we had
to abandon) we never gave up or got discouraged, but the opposite; we have
more energy. When we saw our people hiding in the jungle near the
riverbank and have to stay, sleep and eat under the tree without shelter,
I felt sorry for them and for myself too. As I am a medic, I really hope
that I can help them with the knowledge that I have and with support from
CFI. Please remember our Karen people in your prayers."

CFI President Jim Jacobson said, "This was a despicable act. I can't
fathom how anyone could attack a Christian hospital serving thousands of
defenseless, innocent sick men, women, and children. This kind of hatred
and religious fanaticism is incomprehensible."

Jacobson said, "...Burma conducted this brutal raid during the APEC
summit. A few hundred miles away, while world leaders including
representatives from Burma, talked about peace and prosperity, minority
Christians were being annihilated. This is one more major reason why the
military dictatorship of Burma cannot be trusted or supported in any way
by the international community."

Casualty reports are not yet available.

----MONEY----

Xinhua General News Service   October 23, 2003
Myanmar fetches over 17 mln dollars from gem sale

YANGON, Oct. 23 (Xinhua) --Myanmar has fetched a total of 17. 95 million
US dollars from sale of 436 locally produced quality gems, jades, pearls
and jewelry at the 12th state-sponsored Mid-Year Gems Emporium, according
to emporium sources Thursday.

The eight-day gems emporium, which began on Oct. 15 and ended Wednesday,
attracted a total of 457 merchants of 176 companies from nine countries
and regions, mostly from China, China's Hong Kong and Thailand. The number
of local gem traders from 146 companies participating in the event reached
381.

Mid-year gems emporium was introduced in addition to the annual ones since
1992  to boost the country's foreign exchange earning. The annual gems
emporium began in 1964 and since then, Myanmar has earned a total of 414
million dollars from the events including both the annual and mid-year
ones, according to emporium statistics.

Myanmar, a well-known producer of gems in the world, is in possession of
nine gems --ruby, diamond, cat's eye, emerald, topaz, pearl, sapphire,
coral and variety of garnet tinged with yellow.

There are three famous gem lands in Myanmar where gems are produced
--Mogok in Mandalay division, Mongshu in Shan state and Phakant in Kachin
state.

To develop gem mining industry, Myanmar enacted the new gemstone law in
September 1995, allowing national entrepreneurs to mine, produce,
transport and sell finished gemstone and manufactured jewelry at home and
abroad.

Since April 2000, the government has started mining of gems and jades in
joint venture with 10 local private companies under profit sharing basis.

----REGIONAL----

New Straits Times (Malaysia)   October 23, 2003
'We should tell US when it is wrong' – Interview with Dr. Mahatir Mohamad
(excerpt)

DATUK Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad was interviewed by Dana Iswara over
Indonesia's TV7 in Yogyakarta yesterday. This is an excerpt from the
programme Mahathir Menjawap.

Q: Why can't the confrontational approach be used to solve the problem
with Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi.

PM: Because it will not solve the problem. The European idea is that when
there is a problem, you must resolve it by deciding who is stronger. The
question of might is right and the strongest will win. That is not the
Asian attitude and culture. We try to resolve things by interacting,
having a good discussion around the table, to find out why. It is easy to
condemn Myanmar for not releasing her but we should look at the situation
in Myanmar and it is not a simple one. They have about a hundred different
tribes, all of whom are armed with weapons. And the Government is not only
dealing with Suu Kyi but also with these people. There is a feeling that
so long as you can have democracy, everything is resolved but you see many
countries which are democratic but they cannot resolve their problems
either. They end up in anarchy. So we should not not adopt the
confrontational attitude of the West and Europeans.

Agence France Presse   October 23, 2003
Asian countries still pressing for reforms in Myanmar: Philippines

Asian countries will continue pressing for democratic reforms in Myanmar,
an issue that was sidestepped in the just-concluded Asia Pacific summit,
Philippine foreign secretary Blas Ople said Thursday.

"There was no discussion of Myanmar during the APEC summit even though
many of those present were known and vocal critics of the government of
Myanmar," Ople said in a statement.

But even though Myanmar was not taken up during the APEC (Asia-Pacific
Economic Cooperation) forum in Thailand, Ople said that sentiment over
that country had not changed.

"The Philippines continues to call for the early and safe release of
(detained Myanmar pro-democracy leader Aung Sang Suu Kyi) and for the
start in earnest of democratic reforms in Myanmar," Ople said in a
statement.

"Thailand will have an important role to play in this issue and it can
count on the full support of the Philippines," Ople said, adding "we also
welcome China's own efforts to engage Myanmar."

Ople said he expected new developments over Myanmar including a broader
dialogue facilitated by Thailand.

Western nations have been harshly critical of the authoritarian ruling
military junta of Myanmar following the house arrest of Aung San Suu Kyi
in May.

However Southeast Asian nations have generally been supportive of Yangon's
new "roadmap" to democracy, which envisages free and fair elections and a
new constitution but does not mention a timeframe or say when Aung San Suu
Kyi will be freed.

Myanmar, the Philippines and Thailand are members of the Association of
Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) along with Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia,
Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam.

Mizzima News (www.mizzima.com)   October 23, 2003
Burmese Refugees Fight UNHCR for survival

New Delhi: Since Monday, angry Burmese refugees have been protesting
continuously against the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
(UNHCR)'s self-reliance policy.  About 300 refugees were shouting heatedly
and holding the placards reading "UNHCR: Silent Killer" and "We Need
Resettlement" in front of New Delhi office of the UNHCR for the fourth
consecutive day today. Small children wearing school uniforms and young
girls were among the protestors.

The demonstrating Burmese claim that the UNHCR has been cutting the
assistance to them and has been unrealistically pressuring them to work.
The refugees rejected what they see as a one-sided policy and are
demanding to be sent to a third country.

"Shelter and food are a great problem for us. They [UNHCR] said to work,
but no one can get a job here. If they can't provide assistance, they must
arrange to send us to a third country ", said Marpi, 23 years, who has
lived in Delhi for two years.

 "They just want to do whatever they like.  Their self-reliance policy is
just an imaginary," added a girl next to Marpi about the UNHCR's policy.

Some leaders of Indian political parties have showed their solidarity with
the Burmese refugees. Mr. Annil Hegde, General Secretary of the Samata
party, said in his speech to the Burmese demonstrators: "We are going to
support the Burmese democracy activists who fled their homeland due to
military junta's human rights violations. Their demands are not criminal,
and this is their basic right. We support it."  The Samata party is a part
of the ruling coalition government in India and its leader Mr. George
Fernandes, known for his sympathy with Burmese democracy movement, is
currently Defence Minister.

A UNHCR local officer has rejected the refugees' demands after meeting
with 5 Burmese representatives.  "In regards to the request for
resettlement, this Office at this time, does not consider this as the most
appropriate durable solution. We are thus encouraging Burmese refugees to
embark on training and self-reliance activities, so that they could be
empowered to improve the quality of their living in Delhi", Wei-Meng-Lim,
the UNHCR Officer in Charge, said in a reply letter to refugees on Monday.

Delhi Police, though has so far allowed the Burmese to demonstrate in
front of the UNHCR on Lodhi Road, arrested the demonstrators in evening
and detained them for a couple of hours in the Lodhi Police Station before
releasing them without charges. Even so, the refugees tried to come back
to the UNHCR office and continued their demonstration.

At the night of October 21st, 24 Burmese refugees slept in backyard on the
grounds of UNHCR office. One refugee from this group, Pa Sui told Mizzima
that they would continue their protest until their demands are met.

On October 22nd, the police managed to disperse the refugees who gathered
in front of UNHCR office till late night.

The Delhi-based UNHCR office issued nearly 900 certificates and provided
Rs. 1400 per month for Burmese who fled the homeland after 1988 military
coup. A part of health care expenses are provided additionally. However,
UNHCR imposed " self-reliance policy" in 2003 by boosting language and
basic computer trainings. Then the UNHCR and its partner NGOs started
cutting the allowances.  There was a 30% reduction in first 6 months, and
a 60% reduction in second 6 months to first 30 person batch.

Refugees, however, have appealed to be sent to a third country after they
experienced hardships getting a job in India.  They complained that some
countries are ready to accept them but that the UNHCR is blocking their
way by not providing an approval recommendation letter.

Some refugees believe that the dubious Indian foreign policy influence in
UNHCR, in which they accuse India appeasing Burma's Generals. "This is a
poor country with high rates of unemployment. How can you get a job only
after a few months of computer training?  We can't compete with the
locals," said a refugee who asked to remain anonymous.

----INTERNATIONAL----

Agence France Presse   October 23, 2003
China-EU summit to focus on North Korea, Myanmar and Iraq

A summit between China and the European Union next week will focus on the
nuclear crisis in North Korea, the lack of democracy in Myanmar and the
tense situation in Iraq, the EU said in a statement Thursday.

"This year, the situation in the Korean peninsula will certainly be on the
agenda, as will developments in Burma and the situation in Iraq," the
delegation of the European Commission in China said in a statement.

Although North Korea and Myanmar are widely considered pariah states,
China, which hosts the summit, is a close ally of both.

The EU will be represented at the October 30 meeting by Italian Prime
Minister Silvio Berlusconi, the union's current president, European
Commission President Romano Prodi and EU foreign policy chief Javier
Solana.

The Chinese side will be led by Prime Minister Wen Jiabao, and the
European leaders will also meet Chinese President Hu Jintao.

It will be the first occasion for leaders from both sides to meet since a
new Chinese leadership came to power earlier this year.

At the summit, China and the EU are also expected to sign an agreement for
Chinese participation in the European Galileo satellite navigation system,
the statement said.

----OPINION / OTHER----

South China Morning Post   October 23, 2003
Much-needed voice to lead Southeast Asia

The Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation forum in Bangkok this week gave the
region a new voice on an international stage - Thail Prime Minister
Thaksin Shinawatra. He has stepped into a void seemingly vacant since the
downfall of former Indonesian president Suharto five years ago.

Mr Suharto's stature and forceful style of leadership put him naturally at
the helm of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, which makes up the
core of Apec. His presence gave impetus to issues Asean tackled and
provided a face for the rest of the world to recognise.

Since his fall in a popular revolt, the region has struggled to find a
replacement. Through economic decline and stagnation following the 1997
financial crisis, Southeast Asia has lost global prominence to its
northern neighbours, China, Japan and South Korea.

During that time, Asean has also been struggling with two levels of
development, prompted by the joining in the late 1990s of Cambodia, Laos,
Myanmar and Vietnam. The dynamic economies of Malaysia, Thailand and
Vietnam have fought out of the slump, leaving fellow Asean members behind.

The ever-present threat of terrorism since the Bali bombings a year ago
has further dampened international enthusiasm for the region. By contrast,
the steady growth of China has meant stable investment potential for
foreign investors.

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad has attempted to fill the breach
left by Mr Suharto, but developed nations have not given him the same
measure of respect because of his frequent outbursts against western
values and attitudes. His resignation at the end of the month to make way
for his deputy, Abdullah Badawi, makes the need for a regional voice more
pressing.

Mr Thaksin is the best person for that role. He capably hosted the Apec
meetings and his succinct concluding remarks in presenting the communique
on Tuesday were stamped with authority.

The billionaire telecommunications tycoon is not popular with human rights
groups for his tough stand on drug trafficking and political and ethnic
refugees from Myanmar. Opponents accuse him of using his media empire to
silence critics and push his own political and social agenda.

But Mr Thaksin also has massive support among Thais and was clearly among
friends when rubbing shoulders with Apec leaders. Efforts to broker a free
-trade agreement with China and bring democracy to Myanmar show he is
interested in regionalism as much as Thailand's national concerns.

Southeast Asia needs a strong representative to further its interests. In
the past week, Mr Thaksin has capably shown he can project the region
internationally in a forceful, yet diplomatic, manner.

NCGUB NewsDesk   October 22, 2003
'Roadmap' fever

"Roadmap" fever is picking up in Burma. Since Gen Khin Nyunt, chief of
Burma's Defense Services Intelligence in his new capacity as prime
minister unveiled, what is described by the state-run media in Rangoon as
"seven-point policies and programs of the State", mass rallies are being
held in different cities all over the country to support his roadmap.

The state-sponsored media said the mass rallies were organized by the
Union Solidarity and Development Association (USDA), an association led
and financed by the generals and responsible for the deaths of many
supporters and members of the National League for Democracy (NLD) when
they were brutally attacked near Tabayin on 30 May.

Major Problems

Despite the claim that people are voicing support for the roadmap, no
known politician, political leader, or political organization has
expressed support for it in its entirety.  This is because there are major
problems associated with the SPDC's National Convention.  The most glaring
problems are the SPDC-prescribed "principles" that guide the
constitution-drafting process at the national convention.  The
"principles" of the draft constitution already prepared by the military
provide unlimited power to the "Commander in Chief" of the Defense
Services who is not subject to the constitution, has the power to appoint
25 percent of all members of the "Union, State, and Regional Assemblies"
as well as the ministers of defense, home affairs, and border affairs.

According to the "principles" the President "must have military
experience" and not have "parents, spouse, or children who are foreign
nationals", and he can appoint military personnel as ministers, as well as
the Chief Ministers, judges of the Supreme Court, etc, without being
obliged to comply with the rulings of the Supreme Court.  The President
also delegates all administrative and legislative functions of the state
to organs of the Union but their functions are not derived from the
constitution.

In addition, the SPDC's draft constitution provides no general safeguards
for the people, no human rights protections, and no guarantees for free
speech or freedom of media and association, and so forth.

For these reasons, many political leaders and parties and ethnic
nationality forces have rejected the National Convention in its current
form.  Since Gen Khin Nyunt announced his roadmap on 30 August major
political institutions and leaders have suggested that changes were needed
to make the convention more democratic and representative.   Some of these
comments are discussed below.

The CRPP

The Committee Representing People's Parliament, formed by political
parties and representatives elected in the 1990 elections to act on their
behalf before the Parliament can be convened, said in a statement, "...
prior to the commencement of the convention, the rules of procedure set
down violated democratic principles and were made without consultation or
agreement.  Every rule was autocratically prescribed. The Convention
committee arrived at decisions completely ignoring suggestions of the
delegates.  Consequently, the delegates and representatives of the
political parties attending the convention found it impossible to
participate and some walked out at a very early stage.  Eventually, the
National League for Democracy (NLD) delegates asked for procedural changes
and decided to stay away from the convention in the meantime.  This
absence was used against the NLD and its delegates were expelled by the
Convention Commission.  From then on, there was no progress and the
Convention ceased to function."

The SNLD

Similarly, in an interview with Democratic Voice Burma, U Khun Tun Oo,
chairman of the Shan Nationalities League for Democracy (SNLD), the party