BurmaNet News Nov 19, 2003

editor at burmanet.org editor at burmanet.org
Wed Nov 19 14:18:32 EST 2003

Nov 19, 2003 Issue # 2372

INSIDE BURMA
NCGUB: Preparing for 'National Day'
NMG: The Largest gathering at Shwedagon Pagoda after May 30th bloodshed

ON THE BORDER
Shan: Ceasefire leader upset by Rangoon proviso
Shan: Landmines kill two on the border
Shan: Paddy fields inundated without notice

REGIONAL
Xinhua: Thai border police officer arrested for human smuggling
CHRO: Suu Kyi Suporter Passed Away While on the Run

INTERNATIONAL
BBC Monitor: Burma's Karen rebels say national convention designed to
propagate junta
BBC Monitor: Burmese ethnic coalition spokesperson denies rift with
cease-fire groups
World Markets Research: Release of Prisoners Unlikely to Satisfy Myanmar's
Democracy Campaigners

OPNION / OTHER
Nation: The second Burmese empire
Sun Sentinel: Democracy here, dictators abroad

STATEMENT
Kuki Forum: KIF remembers victims of 1967 "Khadawmi Operation"

INSIDE BURMA

Nov 18, National Coalition Government of Burma, News Desk
Preparing for 'National Day'
A few weeks before the 83rd National Day on 18 November, the "veteran
politicians" group invited all "political colleagues" to come commemorate
the event at "No 3, Parami Road in Mayangon Township, Rangoon."

The National League for Democracy (NLD), students, and democracy
activists, had also arranged to celebrate the event in Rangoon and were
expecting members from all over the country to join it.

The preparations for the celebrations were proceeding relatively without a
hitch until a few days before the actual commemorative event when
authorities started summoning people and monks and warning them against
holding political rallies.

"We have learned about the National League for Democracy's (NLD) plan to
hold political rallies and you are not to allow your place to be used for
political purposes," SPDC officials warned the hosts.
The hosts reportedly told authorities that the NLD wanted to visit
Pagodas, offer food to the monks, and to listen to the sermons of the
monks to commemorate National Day and there was nothing political about
the whole exercise as the NLD always commemorated the event every year.

SPDC officials particularly objected to the NLD members wearing
traditional Burmese Pinni jacket and Kachin longgyi or sarong (generally
recognized as NLD uniform) when they offer food to the monks and gather en
masse at prearranged places.

NLD members insisted that they were not committing any crime by wearing
traditional dresses and said they were determined to go ahead with the
celebrations.

The D-Day

NLD youths numbering in the hundreds started rallying at Thwe Say Kan near
the Shwedagon Pagoda at around 1000.  Wearing their traditional NLD
uniform – white collarless shirts, Pinni (orangey) jackets, and dark
longgyis and sarongs -- they later marched in pairs, ascending the stairs
of the Shwedagon Pagoda entering it from the Northern Entrance.  They were
joined by other NLD youths who had come to the Pagoda from other
entrances.  The youths then circled the Pagoda clockwise, offered flowers
and lit candles at the "Tuesday Corner" (Aung San Suu Kyi was born on a
Tuesday), and marched to the monument marking the 1920 Students Strike and
"made pledges to continue the struggle until Burma attains democracy."

While the NLD youths were gathering at the monument, about 100 security
personnel, military intelligence agents reporting with cellular phones,
and Pagoda security people arrived with batons and started videotaping and
photographing the scene.

The intelligence agents rudely told the youths to disperse, telling them
that no more than five could gather together under the law, that the
Pagoda was a place of worship and they could not assemble at that place
wearing uniforms.
The students left in pairs, exited the Pagoda from the Northern Entrance,
and marched on to Sasana Gonyi Monastery at Chauk Htat Gyi Pagoda where
people along the way greeted them.   Some followed the youths alongside
under the watchful eyes of the security personnel who continued to
videotape and photograph the youths.

At the monastery, Rangoon Division NLD executives welcomed the youths who
joined the religious ceremony attended by hundreds of people who offered
food alms and recited "freedom prayers" for the NLD leaders.
NewsDesk sources in Rangoon said the NLD youths were determined to
continue acting en masse and wearing the NLD uniforms for three days.
"Our colleagues in Irrawaddy, Pegu, Tenasserim, Mandalay, and Magwe
Divisions will be doing the same today.  They have kept our leaders under
detention and our offices closed for too long, and they have done nothing
about the Tabayin incident.  Although our activity today is not much, it
empowers us, we are determined to step up our activities," said a youth
leader.

The 'Veteran Politicians'

The National Day commemorative event hosted by the veteran politicians
became a political venue for pro-democracy parties to call on the military
regime to change its position with political parties, including the NLD,
reading out statements directed at the regime.

The calls urged the generals "to release all political prisoners in jail
as well as others under house arrest, including Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and
other NLD leaders" and "to begin a sincere dialogue on political reform"
as it was "the only path to peace and national reconciliation" in the
country.

In a joint statement the political veterans said, "We firmly believe that
a tripartite dialogue involving the military, the NLD, and ethnic
nationalities is the one and only way to peace and national
reconciliation
We would like to remind the present leadership that
procrastination and dragging its feet will only lead the country into
further depths of poverty."

Elected NLD Members of Parliament and representatives of the ethnic
nationality organizations and forces were also present at the event.
NLD MP U Thein Myint was critical of the fact that the NLD leadership was
being detained and he called for their unconditional release.  "We have
traditionally held National Day commemorative ceremonies throughout the
years but are unable to do so this year due to obvious reasons," he said.
The statement by the veteran politicians also noted that many years had
passed since the 1990 elections won by the NLD and that "the people's
pro-democracy ambitions remained unfulfilled."
_____________________________
Nov 18, Network Media Group
The Largest gathering at Shwedagon Pagoda after May 30th bloodshed

Over 350 NLD members from 35 townships around the country gathered at the
corner of famous Shwedagon Pagoda to mark 83rd anniversary of Burma’s
National Day.

Youth members of Aung San Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy take an
oath for democracy in their country after paid tribute to their ancestors
in 1920 who sacrificed their lives for Burma’s independence, one NLD Youth
member from Rangoon said.

At 10 am this morning, over 350 activists from 35 townships ie. 25
townships from Rangoon division, 3 from Irrawaddy division, 1 from Pegu
division and 3 townships from Magwe division gather at Shwedagon platform,
paid tribute and took oath at National Day Stone Pillar, a symbol of
national sentiment and independence.

One of NLD Youth members told NMG the purpose on paying tribute and
gathering on this 83rd National Day.

“Our aim is to pay homage to our ancestors who gathered in this historic
place and boycotted education policy of Colonialist in 1920. Likewise, we
the Youth members of National League for Democracy take an oath in the
same corner of Shwedagon Pagoda and pledge for democracy in our country
with all of endeavors,” NLD Youth said.

At 10 am, nearly 200 Youths wearing NLD uniforms who were gathering at
Thway-Say-Kan walked hand-in-hand through from North stairway and prayed
for their leader Aung San Suu Kyi at Tuesday corner of Shwedagon pagoda.
Though there was no report of arrest on NLD members, the situation was
almost outbreak when NLD Youths met heavy security personals and military
intelligences this morning. However, both sides were able to control the
situation peacefully.

“Nearly seventy polices and the Military Intelligence (MI) were monitoring
us with still camera and video cameras. Authorities put iron-sieve around
National Day Stone Pillar. Because the General Assembly in the United
Nations is convening for the time being, we are lucky and not been
arrested. But I’m not sure they may come my home and arrest me at night,”
one NLD members said.
NLD Youths walked around on stairway of Shwedagon and marched
two-in-a-role up to Thar-tha-na-gone-ye monastery in Chauk-Htat-Kyi Pagoda
and attended alms-offering to mark this 83rd ‘National Day’.

Although Rangoon government officially laid down the principles for the
National Day, there is no report on celebration of National Day in
Rangoon.
Meanwhile Burmese military government officially issued the objectives of
83rd anniversary of National Day. These are (a) Keeping national spirit
alive and dynamic and uplift of national prestige and integrity (b) Uplift
of national education (c) Perpetuation of independence and sovereignty of
the State (d) Success of seven-point future policy programme of the State.
Democratic activists and the United Nations are widely criticizing the
seven-step road-Map proposed by military government due to lack of
time-frame and one-sided approach in the road map.

Network Media Group

ON THE BORDER
Nov 19, Shan
Ceasefire leader upset by Rangoon proviso

Leaders of Mongla have been worrying over recent instructions from Rangoon
concerning its representation at the impending reconvening of the
'National Convention' that has been adjourned since 1996, according to
Mongla sources.
The sources, who are members of the National Democratic Alliance
Army-Eastern Shan State, designated by Rangoon as Special Region#4 with
its administrative seat in Mongla, opposite China's Daluo, said Burmese
authorities wanted the same representatives that had attended the
Convention before its abrupt interruption 7 years earlier.

Sources, who preferred to remain anonymous, told S.H.A.N. how it was "a
real headache to our chairman" Sai Leun a.k.a Lin Mingxian, better known
as U Sai Lin to Rangoon authorities:

The 4 former participants from Mongla at the NC were Sai Leun himself,
Khun Hsanglu, Hsarmper and Chaypi a.k.a Kham Maw. However, Kham Maw had
been executed after finding him guilty of treason in 1999. "The directive
in effect requires us to bring him back to life," one of the officers
quipped.
Khun Hsanglu, one of Sai Leun's vice chairmen, understands very little
Burmese, and no official interpreters in different languages are expected,
if past experience is of any value.

Moreover, together with the Shan State Army "North" and the United Wa
State Army, the NDAA-ESS had, among other things, demanded the right to
choose its own representatives on 15 October.

Sai Leun, 54, according to the sources, has been very active since his
recovery from a year long paralysis. All the battalions, under his order,
have been beefed up to full strength, 250 each. Battalion commanders older
than 35 have been moved up to either active or inactive posts, depending
on their abilities. "A battalion commander must not be a day younger or
older than 30-35," he was quoted as saying.

Despite his current focus on military buildup, his relations with Rangoon
appears to be normal. Last month, he was awarded a second medal from
Senior General Than Shwe for Outstanding Social Activities, "meaning he
has kept Mongla clean from drugs" despite the withdrawal of Chinese
financiers in July. The first medal was presented to him by Gen Khin
Nyunt.

He has also been careful not to lose support from his ethnic Shan units.
"I've been called a Chinese every place I go", he told the 369th Brigade,
the majority of whom are ethnic Shans. "But both my parents were northern
Shans (Tai Neua). I therefore hope you will believe me when I say I will
never betray the cause of Shans."

Sai Leun, a native of Panghsai, the northern Shan town, opposite China's
Wanding, served with the Communist Party of Burma as one of its ablest
field commanders. He was in charge of the 815 War Zone that centered
around Mongla when the 1989 mutiny against the CPB leadership broke out.
He is married to the daughter of Peng Jiasheng, leader of Kokang, Special
Region.
_______________________________
Nov 18, Shan
Landmines kill two on the border

Unidentified landmines laid by an unidentified armed group had resulted in
the death of two Shan civilians on their way from Thailand to visit their
homes, said sources from Chiangmai's Fang district.

The incident took place on 8 November when villagers of Loiwiang, Kholam
tract, Namzarng township, who had fled to Fang in 1999 following Rangoon's
forced relocation campaign (1996-98) crossed the border into Mongton
township, Fang's adjoining neighbor in Burma's Shan State. The blast
resulted in 2 killed and 4 injured.

The two that died were Sai Nyunt and Sai Pang and one seriously wounded
was Sai Ho, who is being treated at Chiangmai's Pa Nge Hospital.
Shans in Fang said they had decided to take the matter to Col Yawdserk,
leader of the Shan State Army, whose units are active across the border.
Lt-Col Awng Kham, Commander of the SSA's Special Force, with base at
Hpabawng, opposite Fang, regretted the event and asked that travelers
consult the SSA first about the safe paths they could take before
embarking on their journey.

"With years of fighting between us and the Burmese-Wa alliance, no one can
tell whose landmine it really was that the villagers ran into," he told
S.H.A.N. this morning, "and it would be unfair to place the blame solely
on us."

Apart from the SSA, the Burma Army and the United Wa State Army have bases
along the border.

According to Landmine Monitor Report (2002), at least 14 armed groups,
including the Burma Army, are believed to use antipersonnel mines. The
others are Rohingya Solidarity Organization (RSO); Chin National Army
(CNA); Shan State Army (SSA); Karenni Army (KA); Karen National Liberation
Army (KNLA); Democratic Karen Buddhist Army (DKBA); All Burma Students
Democratic Front (ABSDF); People's Defense Forces (PDF); Mergui-Tavoy
United Front; United Wa State Army (UWSA); Pa-O People's Liberation Front
(PPLF); All Burma Muslim Union (ABMU); and Wa National Army (WNA).

Burma is not a signatory to the Mine Ban Traty of 2001. It has also not
attended any of the annual meetings of State Parties to the Treaty.
Vietnam, another non-signatory, had at least participated in a meeting to
discuss the issue of landmines within Asean context held in January 2002.

_______________________________
Nov 18, Shan
Paddy fields inundated without notice

More than a hundred acres of paddy fields in Lashio, Shan State's northern
capital, went underwater without warning after outflowing water from a dam
was diverted for the exploration of a coal mine along its previous
channel, reported sources from the border this morning.

Approximately 150 acres of paddy, newly harvested, were affected by the
man-made flood that took place on 5 November, near the AT Bridge, north of
Lashio.

"Before, we were forced to sell most of produce to the Army," wept a woman
from Hsonloi village. "Now we don't even have any rice to eat."

The locals blamed the authorities for not notifying them in advance "so we
could move our piles of reaped paddy plants to safety."

Maj Gen Myint Hlaing, Commander of Lashio-based Northeastern Region
Command, on whose orders the dam water had been reportedly rerouted, had
on 14 November tried to make amends by repaying the victims 18,000 kyat
per acre.

"That was less than half of what we could get at the market price," said a
farmer from the nearby village of Khurhkham . "But the underprivileged
like us can't really complain."

Most of the affected farmers are from the three villages in the area:
Hsonloi, Khurhkham and Kawngkha. "What happened there questions the
authorities's self-proclaimed regard for the people's welfare," commented
a ceasefire group officer.

The incident was the outcome of a plan implemented by Rangoon's official
firm, Myanmar Economic Holdings Company, better known as "Oo Paing', to
prospect and extract coal deposits in the area, they said.

REGIONAL
Nov 19, Xinhua
Thai border police officer arrested for human smuggling

A Thai Border Patrol Police officer was arrested along with two other
people on charges of smuggling 14 illegal Myanmar immigrants into the
country, the Bangkok Post reported Wednesday.

The 14 immigrants, eight men, five women and a child, were found in a
search of a suspected pick-up truck parked in Muang district of
Kanchanaburi province, 150 kilometers west of Bangkok, by police on Monday
night.
Driver Prasert Phumphiew, 40, attached to the 13th Border Patrol Police
Division, and a couple working as his helpers were detained and arrested
on charges of engaging in illegal labor activities.

The officer confessed he and the couple had smuggled alien workers from
designated areas along the border to Nakhon Pathom province and Samut
Sakhon province several times.

They received 5,000 baht (125 US dollars) for each people-smuggling trip,
he said, adding that about 100 immigrants were being smuggled into the
country each day through Kanchanaburi province.

The report quoted a source as saying that border areas in Kanchanaburi are
popular people-smuggling routes. Gangs collect between 3,000 baht (75
dollars) to 5,000 baht (125 dollars) per head from immigrants, depending
on the distance between the border areas to their destination.

Once the Myanmar immigrants reach Thailand, they mainly seek factory jobs
in the central provinces of Samut Sakhon, Samut Prakan, Ratchaburi, Nakhon
Pathom and Nonthaburi, the source said, noting the illegal alien workers
often try to sneak back into Thailand again when they were arrested and
sent back to their country.
______________________________
Nov 19, Chin Human Rights Organization
Suu Kyi Suporter Passed Away While on the Run

Chin Human Rights Organization has received a report that Secretary of
Thantlang Township’s National League for Democracy party passed away in a
small town in India’s northeastern province where he had been hiding since
escaping arrest by Burmese military intelligence. Mr. Than Ngai died of
malaria yesterday, 18 November at Serchip hospital in Mizoram at about 8
o’ clock local time.

Mr. Than Ngai headed Thantlang Township National League for Democracy
party. The NLD Township office in Thangtlang was reopened along with many
other party offices in Chin State when Suu Kyi visited Chin State in April
of 2003.
Than Ngai was responsible for organizing a welcoming ceremony for Suu Kyi
and her entourage. During Suu Kyi’s brief stay in Thantlang, Than Ngai
hosted a lunch for NLD leaders at his house. Suu Kyi later addressed a
crowd of nearly ten thousand people who were gathering in a football field
despite threats by local authorities that anyone participating in the
event would face the consequences.

Soon after Suu Kyi and her entourage left Thantlang, Mr. Than Ngai was
interrogated and threatened repeatedly by the military intelligence
service. He later fled to India’s Mizoram state for fear of arrest. He was
on hiding in rural Mizoram, unable to approach the United Nations High
Commissioner for Refugees in New Delhi for protection, which has not been
accepting political asylum seekers from Burma.

A dozen local NLD leaders from Chin State who have escaped arrest by the
military regime are currently seeking protection from UNHCR in New Delhi.
Chin Human Rights Organization -- www.chro.org

INTERNATIONAL
Nov 19, BBC Monitor

Burma's Karen rebels say national convention designed to propagate junta
DVB (Democratic Voice of Burma) would like to present the views of
border-based national races and democratic forces on the matter of
national races ceasefire groups preparing to attend the National
Convention. DVB correspondent Naw Nanda Chan compiled this report:

(Reporter) As the ceasefire groups including the KIO (Kachin Independence
Organization) are preparing to attend the SPDC (State Peace and
Development Council)-sponsored National Convention, Phado Mahn Sha,
spokesperson for the KNU (Karen National Union), one of the ethnic armed
groups at the Burma-Thailand border, said the National Convention is
neither free nor fair and does not include genuine representatives.

(Phado Mahn Sha) The National Convention has been lacking in freedom and
fairness. The convention should include genuine representatives as well as
key players. If the key players are not included and the delegates are
puppets handpicked by the junta, then I do not think it is right. Besides,
we opposed the convention from the very beginning because it is designed
to propagate military dictatorship. Our view remains the same as before
and we are against the convention. We believe the convention will be fair
only if we are able to fulfil the desires of our people and the national
races with the participation of the key players. That is all.

(Reporter) Ko Win Minn, a Thailand-based researcher on Burmese army and
civilian relations, said if the SPDC did not see the broader picture of a
long term benefit, but tried to perpetuate its grip on power, then it
would not lead to national reconciliation, but will create more problems
instead.

(Ko Win Minn) It seems the military government is focusing its actions in
order to perpetuate its existence. It does not seem to plan for future
development. That is the major problem. If the National Convention include
only the delegates selected by the military and does not include others,
then the absence of democratic forces will make the convention illegal. If
the ceasefire groups and the people do not participate, it would not get
the vital representation it needs. If there are no legality and vital
representation, then the new constitution that would emerge from the
National Convention would face problems in future. The military
government, after holding talks with the NLD leaders, should hold talks
with the ceasefire and active ethnic armed groups and obtain some form of
agreement. Then only they should find ways on how to reconvene the
National Convention. Currently, ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian
Nations) might support the constitution that would emerge from the
convention, but western nations, including Japan and many countries that
practice democracy, might not support it. Thus, lifting economic sanctions
and receiving aid from international monetary institutions for the future
development of the country might not be possible.

Source: Democratic Voice of Burma, Oslo, in Burmese 1430 gmt 17 Nov 03
______________________________
Nov 19, BBC Monitor
Burmese ethnic coalition spokesperson denies rift with cease-fire groups

On the matter of national races cease-fire groups preparing to attend the
National Convention, DVB (Democratic Voice of Burma) contacted U Khun Tun
Oo, spokesperson for the UNA, United Nationalities Alliance, an ethnic
coalition formed with nine political parties that won seats in the
elections.

(U Khun Tun Oo) It is premature to give a general view but as far as we
know their intention to attend the National Convention is that they
believe the forthcoming National Convention will be different from the
previous one and more beneficial to the national races. They also feel
that the new one will be convened with revised principles. In their terms,
they are trying to taste it whether it is sweet or bitter. They are trying
to attend the National Convention with an expectation that it should
become much better.

(DVB correspondent) In that context, the UNA representing the ethnic
groups has called for a tripartite dialogue and rejected the National
Convention if it is to be convened in the same manner as before. On the
other hand we could not obtain the view of the NLD (National League for
Democracy) because the leaders are incarcerated. Since the cease-fire
groups decided to attend the convention contrary to UNA's decision, would
that imply to a rift among the national races as alleged by the SPDC
(State Peace and Development Council)?

(U Khun Tun Oo) No, that is not true. Well, every party has its own right
to make its own decision. We respect that. They decided to attend the
convention with a firm belief that it will alleviate the country's crisis.
There is no rift among us. All their objectives are the same as ours -
unity among the national races, freedom to hold discussions, freedom to
select their own delegates, and to decide their own fate. You cannot say
there is a division among the national races over a decision to attend the
National Convention.

(DVB correspondent) Well, the cease-fire groups have issued statements
recommending changes in National Convention procedures and to involve all
parties concerned. What is the possibility of that? On the other hand, has
the SPDC approached the alliance or hinted on such a move?

(U Khun Tun Oo) On the first question, those that decided to attend hope
things will be better. On the second question, the SPDC has not approached
us. We are not invited as yet so my answer will be we do not know.

(DVB correspondent) Yes. You have been constantly discussing about the
road map and the National Convention. Now that the cease-fire groups have
decided to attend the convention and we heard that the SPDC is secretly
selecting delegates, what is your expectation about a tripartite dialogue
taking place?

(U Khun Tun Oo) It is very hard for me to predict at this point. Most
national races believe the SPDC would be compromising and cooperating in
the matter and amend the principles. They decided to attend believing in
change. I think it is premature for me to comment at this time.
Source: Democratic Voice of Burma, Oslo, in Burmese 1430 gmt 17 Nov 03
______________________________

Nov 19, World Markets Research
Release of Prisoners Unlikely to Satisfy Myanmar's Democracy Campaigners

The ruling Peace State and Development Council (SPDC) junta has today
announced the release of 58 prisoners. The move was reportedly taken on
humanitarian grounds, with those released including a number of elderly
people and pregnant women. It is unclear, however, whether they were
political prisoners. The move follows a recent visit by United Nations
(UN) envoy Paulo Sergio Pinheiro, who called for the release of all
political prisoners. Opposition National League for Democracy (NLD)
campaigners used the opportunity that National Day (commemorating the
first student boycott against UK rule) afforded them yesterday to echo
this call. As part of their campaign, the NLD asked the ruling junta to
implement sincere dialogue on political reform, arguing that tripartite
dialogue involving the military, the NLD and the country's ethnic
minorities was essential for peace and reconciliation. Furthermore, it
warned that without such moves, the country would continue to descend
further into poverty.

Significance: The NLD called for the release of 1,300 prisoners, which
puts into context the small number that were given their freedom. This,
however, remains the reality of the situation. Any moves the junta makes
towards democracy will remain both small and slow-paced. Positively,
however, the continued engagement of figures such as Pinheiro appear to be
having some beneficial effect, albeit small-scale.

OPNION / OTHER
Nov 19, Nation
The second Burmese empire

After the Mongol invasions of Burma and the subsequent collapse of Pagan,
the kingdom split into a number of smaller states, among these the
principalities of the ?Three Shan Brothers? in the Kyaukse area, which
were established circa 1310.

In 1364, a half-Burman, half-Shan dynasty was founded at Ava, on the left
bank of the Irrawaddy River (to the south of what is now Mandalay).

In the south, the Mon were under Wareru (later known in Thai as Makatho,
or King Fa Rua, a son-in-law of King Ramkhamhaeng of Sukhothai), a Mon
hero of Tai Yai blood who declared himself king in 1284 and established
Martaban as the Mon capital. In 1365, the capital was moved Pegu by Binnya
U, his great-grand-nephew and the leader of the Hongsawady or Hanthawaddy
dynasty.
Lower Burma was ruled by the Hongsawady dynasty until around 1492, when it
came under the influence of Toungoo.

The most important rulers of the Hongsawady dynasty before it merged with
Toungoo include King Razadarit (a son of Binnya U, known in Thai as
Rajadhiraj, 1385-1425), Queen Shin Saw Bu (1453-1472), a daughter of King
Razadarit, and King Dammazedi (1472-1492), Shin Saw Bu's successor and
son-in-law.

Their neighbours, among them Ava, Chiang Mai, Kampaengphet and Ayutthaya,
praised King Razadarit as the great warrior who managed to save the Mon
kingdom from raids.
Queen Shin Saw Bu built relations with Ava by marrying one of its kings.

According to Burmese legend, the queen was interested in Buddhism. She
studied Tripitaka (Three Baskets of Buddhist Discipline) from two novices
in Ava: Dhammaceti and Dhammapala. On completion of her studies she fled
Ava and became the great queen of Hongsawady.

Shin Saw Bu was loved and respected by her Mon subjects. She supported
Buddhist construction including the famous Shwedagon (literally the golden
pagoda of Dagon or Yangon [Rangoon]. Known as Takoeng in ancient Thai,
Shwedagon was reconstructed during her reign. The sacred pagoda is
believed to enshrine hair relics of the Lord Buddha and dates back more
than 2,500 years. It is the prototype or the Shwezigon pagoda in Pagan.
During the reign of King Binnayakyan (1450-1453), the pagoda was raised in
height by 92 metres. Queen Shin Saw Bu also ordered additions to the
precincts of the pagoda, and it is remained very much the same as it looks
today.

Dammazedi was a monk chosen for succession by Shin Saw Bu, and accordingly
made to leave his cloisters and marry her daughter. He is considered one
of the greatest Mon kings. During his reign, which coincides with that of
King Tiloklacha of Lanna and King Boromtrailokanat of Ayutthaya,
Hongsawady was the centre of Tharavada Buddhism derived from Lanka
(Ceylon). Buddhist literature written in Mon, Pali, Sanskrit and Burman
flourished in this era.

A collection of the monk’s rulings, the Dammazedi Pyatton, still exists.
Unfortunately, after the death of Dammazedi in 1492, conflicts developed
between the new king of Hongsawady, Binnya Ran, Dammazedi's son and
Minkyinyo, the then King of Toungoo, and a succession of wars ensued.
Finally, Minkyinyao's son King Tabinshweti (1531-1551) successfully
extended his powers to Martaban, Hongsawady, the Tenasserim area, Tavoy
and also the mid-Irrawaddy basin.

A few years later, Bayinnaung (1551-1581), Tabinshweti's successor and
brother-in-law established Hongsawady as the capital of the second Burmese
Empire after Pagan. He unified the country and conquered the Shan States
and Siam, thus making Burma the most powerful kingdom in mainland
Southeast Asia.
In his reign the Mon, Burmans, Shan and other ethnic tribes became
subjects of the single Toungoo-Hongsawady kingdom. Bayinnuang, better
known as Bayinnaung Kyawhtin Nawrahtha and also Hanthawaddy Shinbhyushin,
which literally translates as Lord of the White Elephant, was not only
considered the great king of Burma but also a legendary ruler in Southeast
Asia’s popular history. He is mentioned in Thai literature.

It is said that he was born in a small village in Pagan to a family of
palm cultivators. His former name Cha Thet, which literally means a man
with creeping termites, was bestowed on him as hundreds of termites
covered his skin since his birth but never harmed him. Bayinnaung was a
patron of Buddhism: He built pagodas, gave generous donations to
monasteries, and maintained extensive diplomatic relations with the
Buddhist kingdom of Ceylon.

In the late 16th century, Honsawady was in chaos. Bayinnuang's sons fought
against each other. The Mon and Arakanese joined revolutions with Prome,
Chiang Mai (which had been under Burmese suzerainty since 1551) and also
Toungoo. There was no single victor. Hongsawady slowly closed its
curtains.

(Correction: we apologize for the mistake that appeared in yesterday’s
newspaper. The town where the Pyu first settled before moving to
Srikshetra should be Tagaung, not Dagon. Dagon is in the south and is now
called Yangon or Rangoon and is the present capital of Burma.)

A series of articles on "The Wonders of Three Cultures" will be published
in The Nation every weekday until November 28. The series is a part of
"The Wonders of 3 Cultures” festival being held in Chiang Mai from
November 28-30, which is sponsored by Thai Airways International and a
number of other organisations and companies including the Nation Group.
Highlights include seminars and a spectacular celebration of art, crafts
and culture.

For more information please visit www.thaiairways.com.
_______________________________
LETTER

Nov 19, Sun Sentinel
Democracy here, dictators abroad

BYLINE: Lakshmeshwar Dayal Southwest Ranches

I am amused to read the Nov. 11 letter, "Present chapter in eternal
struggle." The brave narration of America's self-sacrificing missions to
save freedom the world over is somewhat out of focus.

The USA has supported and strengthened oppressive and despotic rulers such
as the Shah of Iran, Ferdinand Marcos of the Philippines, Zia-ul-haque of
Pakistan and Jean-Claude Duvalier of Haiti.

America did not intervene in the continuing apartheid and minority rule on
racial bias in South Africa. Nor has it intervened in the military
dictatorship in Myanmar, against which a lone woman has been fighting
relentlessly.

America's foreign policy is frequently dubbed as one of "democracy at
home, and dictatorship abroad." Let us frankly admit the USA, like all
countries, has had a foreign policy that is exclusively in its own
national interest, having nothing to do with a moral duty toward all
mankind.
_______________________________
STATEMENT

Nov 18, Kuki Forum
KIF remembers victims of 1967 "Khadawmi Operation"

The Office of the Kuki International Forum, based in the United States of
America, remembers the victims of the infamous 1967 “Khadawmi Operation”
on its 36th anniversary. Talking to the media at his residence, the
Forum’s president recalled the hardships and untold miseries faced by his
people at the hands of the Burmese regime. A spate of heinous crimes was
unleashed upon the innocent Kuki people in their land by the then
Revolutionary Council Government of Burma under Newin's leadership. Ever
since that year, November 18 has been observed as a day to remember the
victims and to consolidate the Kukis' demand for justice.

The president narrating the episode to the media said, “A total of about
40 Kuki villages with a population of more than 20,000 (twenty thousand)
people were uprooted from their hearths, villages and lands in that
particular operation. Some of the uprooted villages were Napalang,
Kongkan, Bollen, Tongmana, Tuidim, Wetsophai, Nunkam,Tuijangphai and et
al. The dastard inhuman crime dictated that no one should be allowed to
carry his or her belongings, except what they worn to cover their pathetic
bodies. The wailing sounds of few handicaps and old weaklings who were
left to face their death destiny and domestic fowls and cattle echoed the
entire region. Parents and siblings, husbands and wives, and near and dear
ones were separated. Taking advantage of the Burmese government's gruesome
acts, the uprooted Kuki villages chiefs were murdered by the Tangkhul Naga
home guards at Nampisa (Manipur, India), which was a violation of human
rights. It was just before harvest time that the crook found peace to
punish the innocent and harmless citizen who in their helplessness had to
leave their ripened corns and paddy fields. The Kukis’ hard toil of a year
sweats and tears were bruised, robbed, and raped unethically by the Burman
Government.  It was pitiful that even the then government of Manipur did
not render helps to the hapless Kukis. The evicted Kuki villagers had to
survive by collecting paddies during at nights. If they were happened to
be arrested by the Burmese police, they were meted with all sorts of
torture. The memory of this tragic event will continue to rein the hearts
and minds of the Kukis forever. In the deserted villages, ethnic Burman
slum dwellers were brought in and thereby, all properties were happily
distributed among the new intruders."

The Forum appeals to all peace loving citizen of this world to condemn
these horrendous punitive deeds of Burman Government upon the Kuki people
and calls international communities to intervene for the rightful
rehabilitation of the Kuki in their land. The president went on to say
that till today, these victims have not been rehabilitated yet. The
successive governments of Burma have been turning deaf ears to the several
appeals and demands made by Kuki bodies including national and
international organizations. It may be recalled that the Burman government
continue to marginalize the Kuki population by forcing them to comply with
the former’s directives.

However, till very recently, the Kuki population in the Burman populated
areas in Sagaing Division came to realize their true identity and their
perennial homeland.  Noting all these facts, the Kuki International Forum
urges the present Burman Government to stop playing double standard
political games to hide its evil deeds among international communities,
instead resolve to find amicable and lasting solutions to the Kukis of
Burma, particularly in the Upper Sagaing Division. It may be mentioned
here that the Kuki of today are scattered in three countries - Bangladesh,
Burma and India after they were colonized by the British colonialist
regime.

In this regard, one can find more information on the Kukis by visiting the
Kuki International Forum website at http://www.kukiforum.com.