BurmaNet News, June 21, 2005

Editor editor at burmanet.org
Tue Jun 21 14:30:17 EDT 2005

June 21, 2005 Issue # 2744

INSIDE BURMA
Irrawaddy: NLD faces new junta threat
Irrawaddy: NGOs Suffer from Tensions in Burma
Irrawaddy: Splinter group accuses KIO
SHAN: Hard to be Shan these days
Kaowao: Girls gang-raped by Burmese army soldiers

ON THE BORDER
Thai Press Reports: STDs spread along Mae Sod border due to immigrant
labour sexual activity

BUSINESS / FINANCE
Myanmar Times: Thailand plans to establish export wholesale markets

REGIONAL
Bangkok Post: Allow workers bank accounts, NGOs say

INTERNATIONAL
Reuters: Tutu calls for Myanmar to be "next South Africa"
Thai Press Reports: Kofi Annan repeats call for release of Aung San Suu Kyi

OPINION / OTHER
Philippine Daily Inquirer: Pressure on Burma
International Herald Tribune: Letters to the Editor: Conditions in Myanmar

____________________________________
INSIDE BURMA

June 21, Irrawaddy
NLD faces new junta threat - Toby Hudson

Rangoon: National League for Democracy members across Burma are becoming
increasingly nervous as journalists and government sources claim the junta
intends to wipe them out.

The word in Rangoon is that the regime wants the opposition permanently
out of the political picture.

Fears of a new crackdown on opposition members and their families arose in
April when Burma’s former acting ambassador to the US, Aung Lynn Htut,
said he had received reliable information that the junta had ordered the
“routing” of NLD members and their families by 2006. It was unclear what
the diplomat meant by the word “routing,” but Rangoon sources said it
meant finally eliminating the opposition.

Aung Lynn Htut said in a letter to US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice,
seeking asylum, that he also feared reprisals by the regime if he returned
to Burma.

The NLD’s spokesman, U Lwin, said he had heard reports of a move to
eliminate the opposition and agreed that the long-suffering democracy
party may now be in the midst of a serious crackdown.

According to a report published by Amnesty International on June 16, more
NLD members elected in the 1990 general election were arrested in February
and March than in the 21 months since May 2003. The report also said that
since February, the Burmese junta had arrested at least five opposition
figures elected in 1990 and 10 ethnic Shan members of the NLD.

U Lwin said the NLD seemed to be having increasing problems with the
special police.

“Lately they even jailed one of our members of parliament who is 73 years
[old],” he said. He believed any attempts to “rout” the party would
involve “detention tactics” —progressive arrests of party members until no
one remained out of prison.

Other signs of an increased threat to the party include articles recently
run in the state-controlled New Light of Myanmar and Myanmar Ahlin heavily
criticizing the NLD.

An article in the New Light of Myanmar on May 25 titled “Success of
democracy transition through mutual understanding and perpetual
cooperation” said the opposition should work with the junta instead of
“making confrontation with the government.”

“The NLD group’s strategy demands the immediate transfer of power to the
elected representatives according to their provisional constitution, and
the Tatmadaw [armed forces] to stay aloof from party politics and soldiers
to return to their barracks,” the article said. “In addition, they stay on
the course of constant confrontations calling for economic sanctions
against the nation, and asking tourists not to visit the nation, foreign
entrepreneurs not to make investments.”

A commentary published in Myanmar Ahlin on June 1, titled “An analysis of
the situation on the 15th anniversary of multi-party elections,”
criticized the NLD for not taking part in the National Convention and
accused the party of not taking an active role in the democratization
process.

While both articles said the junta was “willing to cooperate” with the
opposition, they added that the NLD had not fulfilled their promises to
the people and were not acting with their best interests at heart.

It had been months since the state press had mentioned the opposition
party, leaving some Burma watchers more convinced that the government
plans to step up its attempts to stamp out the opposition. Others thought
the new coverage might have been sourced outside the military, and an
editorial oversight.

But according to U Lwin the articles, which were written under pseudonyms,
were contributed by a communist sympathizer who has close ties to the
junta. “Normally editors cannot accept articles about NLD or even with
just the name,” U Lwin said. “Only articles written by close informants
can be accepted.”

Nevertheless, U Lwin thought the generals would not seek to crush the
opposition completely at a time when the disbanded military intelligence
had not been replaced and security was threatened by such incidents as the
Rangoon bombings. He thought the continuing presence of the party was
something of a stabilizing force.

A Burmese journalist speculated that a combination of the coming Asean
foreign ministers’ annual meeting in July, the sensitive government move
of ministries and departments from Rangoon to Pyinmana and the recent
bombings had caused the junta to start a paranoia-fuelled crackdown. “It
is a very delicate time for [the military] and maybe they have decided
they finally need the opposition out of the way for good,” the journalist
said on condition of anonymity.

A number of journalist and student sources thought the government would
not find it hard to deal with the NLD, as the party was experiencing
splits in its ranks, many of its members were already detained and the
strength of the party was waning.

In fact this situation, together with the recent expulsion of several
youth members, are fuelling predictions that the party may be about to
implode. The party is reportedly struggling to attract new youth members,
while many of those elected in the 1990 poll are now over 70. U Lwin
himself is over 80, and frail. “Just as a few more arrests and there will
not be much left of the [NLD] anyway,” commented one university student
wryly.

But U Lwin remains convinced that the party will stand up to the
government’s threats and continue to fight for democracy in Burma. “I do
not believe they will get rid of us so easily,” he said.

____________________________________

June 21, Irrawaddy
NGOs Suffer from Tensions in Burma - Clive Parker

The Burmese government is tightening restrictions on non-governmental
organizations in an attempt to curb foreigners’ activities, say
humanitarian workers in Rangoon.

International NGOs in Burma say restrictions and delays in gaining access
to sensitive areas, or starting new projects, began last October after Gen
Khin Nyunt was ousted as prime minister, but the situation has
deteriorated further since the bombings in Rangoon last month.

“We cannot get travel permission to sensitive areas such as the Wa special
region,” said a Japanese NGO operating in Burma. “The upper levels of
government like to collect all the information on an NGO now.”

The current rumor in Rangoon is that one of the top generals has issued a
directive forcing all international humanitarian organizations to deal
directly with Burmese government ministries, with all major decisions
going through the Ministry of Defense. The result, NGO workers say, is
that even high-level civil servants are afraid to make basic decisions,
slowing up still further Burma’s already dilatory bureaucracy.

“The processes are taking more time,” said a European NGO. “Before it was
one week, 10 days. Now it officially takes three or four weeks. We don’t
know who has the most power and which people are the decision-makers now.
It is difficult.”

As government ministries defer to the Ministry of Defense, many “memoranda
of understanding” are being ignored, particularly those with the Ministry
of Home Affairs, NGOs say, threatening the effectiveness of humanitarian
work and halting new projects altogether.

Sources say established humanitarian organizations are not being forced to
leave Burma, however. “The government has not yet tried to kick out NGOs,”
said one. But less-established organizations may find themselves under
pressure as donors lose patience.

“Some NGOs that have a limited budget and have been here a short time
could face some difficulties,” the European NGO said.

The junta has become increasingly wary of foreigners since the bombings in
Rangoon last month, particularly those trying to access sensitive areas
along Burma’s borders, NGOs say. The Burmese government has suggested the
CIA was behind the attacks in Rangoon, claiming the operation was partly
organized in Thailand with the help of three foreigners, including a
journalist.

____________________________________

June 21, Irrawaddy
Splinter group accuses KIO - Khun Sam

A Kachin ethnic splinter group has accused the Kachin Independence
Organization of victimization, leading to the arrest of up to 40 of its
members and supporters.

Doi La, a senior officer in the splinter group and vice-general secretary
of its umbrella group, the Kachin Solidarity Council, told The Irrawaddy
today that the KIO had launched a campaign to arrest all members of the
group. Col Gun Maw, a vice-general secretary of the KIO, denied the
charges, however, claiming they had no such policy and were only concerned
with arresting those involved in criminal activities.

According to Doi La, group captain Labang Naw Tawng was arrested on June
18th while on leave in Laiza and another seven—four KIO soldiers and three
youths—were arrested in early May while traveling to Pang Wah to join the
new group. Doi La claims two of the seven died during investigations while
the other five remain in detention.

The KSC was formed amid growing disunity among Kachin groups and presently
comprises the National Defense Army, National Defense Army-Kachin and the
splinter group led by Maj-Gen Lasang Awng Wa who was previously accused of
leading a coup at KIO headquarters in Laiza, Kachin State.

____________________________________

June 20, Shan Herald Agency for News
Hard to be Shan these days

Life for Shans in Rangoon has become plainly unpleasant since the
declaration of Independence in April by a group of exiled Shan elders who
had also set up an interim government of Shan State in defiance of the
military rulers that have governed the land for more than 43 years, said
Shans coming from the capital.

"Burman neighbors who used to be friendly to us are acting noticeably
aloof", said a Shan who has been doing business in Rangoon for more than
ten years. "They may still smile at us, but their smiles are no longer
warm."

Shans are frequently stopped on the way and their residences searched by
the police "We usually wear longyis (Burmese skirts worn by men) to keep
ourselves inconspicuous and many of us speak flawless Burmese, but we are
still subjected to the said indignities nevertheless, letting us to
believe that our movements are being closely monitored by our neighbors
who have turned informants against us."

The change in their relationships with their neighborhoods followed the
declaration of Independence by the "Interim Shan Government" and
subsequent condemnations by the military's State Peace and Development
Council and the staunchly anti-military National League for Democracy. "It
seems to us the declaration has served to reunite bitter enemies into
allies," observed his companion.

The atmosphere is such many Shans who used to observe the donning of Shan
traditional costumes which consist of a cotton jacket not unlike Burmans
and baggy trousers unlike Burmans, on Fridays have decided to flout the
ritual.

Reports coming from Shan State also appear to support the plight Shans are
in. "Authorities checking hotels and guesthouses for possible saboteurs
now want to know, in addition to others, whether the guest is Shan or
non-Shan," said a businessman from Hsenwi, 32 miles north of Lashio.

Other reports also agree that officials pay special attention to Shan
monks away from their temples. "Several are under suspicion of supporting
the resistance," explained a lawyer from Muse on the Sino-Burma border.

Following the bombblasts in Rangoon on 7 May the Shan temple at 9th Mile
was also ransacked by the authorities, said sources from Rangoon.

Mass rallies have been held countrywide by Rangoon condemning the
declaration of independence by the ISG. "The SPDC is only trying to
recapture support from its own Burman opposition," comments a former
politician from Taunggyi.

____________________________________

June 17, Kaowao News
Girls gang-raped by Burmese army soldiers

Two girls were raped by the Burma Army while guarding the motor road in
southern Mon State.

According to a witness who recently fled to Halockhanee refugee camp
across from the Thai-Burma border, Mi Mon (not her real name) was taken
away from her position and gang raped by Burma Army Battalion No. 61 on
June 14, 2005. She is 17 years old from Kwan Tamoi Taotak village of
southern Ye.

On June 7, 2005, a 14-year-old girl from Hamgam village was raped by
Private Yan Naing of Light Infantry No. 587, Burma Army division while she
was staying at her Tai (hut) on the farm that belongs to her family near
Chang Gu village.

A village headman who spoke under condition of anonymity said the local
community is reluctant to appeal to the army for an investigation and
compensation for the victims, they are afraid they will be targeted by the
Burma Army (BA) if they do so. Fearing the spread of rape committed by
the BA, local villagers have been warned not to speak about human rights
violations committed by the BA and SPDC authorities.

A businessman, under the condition of anonymity, told Kaowao that the BA
warned those giving information to news providers, if caught they will
have to dig their own grave (before being killed by the SPDC). Hence, the
villagers are afraid to talk to strangers who ask about what is happening
in the area.

One person per household from ten Mon and Karen villages were forced to
attend one-month training by the BA in which villagers are ordered to
keep watch over the security of the Ye Tavoy motor road while buses are
traveling during the day. Since many have fled to refugee camps or have
gone on to Thailand, some women are forced to keep watch and remain at
their respective post, thus leaving them vulnerable to soldiers.

>From north to south, the motor road runs for 100 miles long connecting

Tenasserim Division and Mon State, southern Burma.

Karen and Mon armed groups are active in remote area of Southern Ye and
Yebyu townships and the area is named as a black area (killing zone) by
the Burma Army. Several villagers have been arrested, tortured, raped and
killed by the Burma Army during military operation to wipe out guerrilla
groups.

____________________________________
ON THE BORDER

June 21, Thai Press Reports
Thailand: STDs spread along Mae Sod border due to immigrant labour sexual
activity

Section: General News - An NGO has pointed that AIDS, gonorrhoea, and
syphilis are currently present along the Mae Sod border. Meanwhile it has
disclosed that women from Myanmar have been crossing the border on a
day-to-day basis to conduct prostitution, with Burmese workers as clients.

The Suphamitr Foundation of Thailand's AIDS prevention coordinator Wassana
Phuangchantra has revealed that from the foundation's monitoring and
surveys of migrant labour problems in Mae Sod, it found that day-to-day
entries into Thailand by alien workers had concealed the purpose of
prostitution during the day time. Ms. Wassana said the occurrences have
been increasing every year. Target clients were male Burmese migrant
workers. Restaurants and karaoke bars are often used in the process, and
the owners would get money for the utilization of the venues. Prices for
the service of these female migrant workers range from 40 baht to 2,000
baht.

Ms. Wassana said that the entry of these women from Myanmar into the
country for prostitution was no different from the problem of Thai women
going abroad for prostitution, and was considered a problem that could not
be resolved as it concerns human lust. She highlighted that this helps
relieve men of stress and reduces the problem of sexual offences. However,
prostitution has resulted in increased spreading of sexually-transmitted
diseases such as AIDS, gonorrhoea, and syphilis resulting from unprotected
sexual intercourse. She added that the Myanmar government has not put as
much interest as it should into the matter.

____________________________________
BUSINESS / FINANCE

June 18, Myanmar Times
Thailand plans to establish export wholesale markets - Ye Lwin

Thailand’s Ministry of Commerce has proposed a plan to establish export
wholesale markets along the Thailand-Myanmar border and in several inland
trading towns, said an official from the Union of Myanmar Federation of
Chambers of Commerce and Industry.

The proposal was made by the External Trade Department of Thailand’s
Ministry of Commerce at a business seminar on June 15, which was held at
the headquarters of the Myanmar Ministry of Commerce.

The new markets will speed up bilateral trade and increase Thai investment
in Myanmar, said the UMFCCI official.

“Border trade between Thailand and Myanmar is important, as it accounts
for about 70 per cent of the total bilateral trade volume between the two
countries,” he said.

The new export wholesale markets will help increase exports of Myanmar
commodities to regional markets in the CLTV countries – Cambodia, Laos,
Thailand and Vietnam – said the official.

A feasibility study on the implementation of the markets is expected to be
conducted in the border region in the near future, he said.

The study will take about nine months, and will be conducted by a
consultancy agency (to be hired by Thailand’s Ministry of Commerce) along
with Myanmar’s Ministry of Commerce and the UMFCCI, said the official.

A Technical Consultancy Committee will be established by the two
countries’ commerce ministries and will include experts and experienced
exporters from the agricultural, trading and industrial sectors, as well
as experienced architects and engineers to build the markets.

The project will be implemented in 10 towns in Myanmar – including
Mandalay, Myawaddy, Myeik, Kawthaung and Tachileik – and six towns in
Thailand, including Chiang Mai and Kanchanaburi.

Total trade volume between Myanmar and Thailand in 2004 was more than
US$1.9 billion, and Myanmar enjoys a $715 million trade surplus with
Thailand, according to official figures.

>From 2003 to 2004 the volume of goods imported by Thailand from Myanmar

increased by 40.39 per cent to $1.34 billion, while exports from Thailand
to Myanmar increased 33.77 per cent to $624 million in the same period.

____________________________________
REGIONAL

June 21, Bangkok Post
Allow workers bank accounts, NGOs say - Penchan Charoensuthiphan

Thai banks have been urged to allow foreign workers to open bank accounts
to transfer money home so they don't have to risk carrying the money
themselves.

Pranom Somwong, who represents a network of non-governmental organisations
devoted to helping alien labour, said it was dangerous for workers to
carry cash back to their hometowns in Burma, Cambodia or Laos.

Meanwhile, Krung Thai Bank has introduced a cash transfer service for
registered alien workers which does not require them to have bank
accounts.

Ms Pranom said many alien workers have been robbed or extorted by
officials in Thailand and in their home countries on their way back.

Some employers had cited the problem as a reason to refuse to pay alien
labour on time, promising to keep the money for them until they needed to
use it, Ms Pranom said.

Many alien workers now send money home by messenger, asking recipients to
send them letters confirming the money arrived.

But, sometimes the money is lost or the messengers are robbed, she said.

Messengers are known to charge about 5% of the total amount of money.

``Alien workers don't know where to save their money. So some have kept
money in milk powder tins for years, but then they are robbed on their way
back home.

``Some money is sent home via messengers, but this is not safe,'' Ms
Pranom said. A messenger was only recently killed in a robbery in Ranong.

Thawatchai Somsilp, manager of Krung Thai Bank's Mae Sot branch, said the
bank now allowed registered alien workers to use the KTB Speed Cash
Transfer service.

Alien workers pay 30 baht per transaction, with each transaction not
exceeding 30,000 baht, he said. The bank required their 13-digit identity
card numbers.

In return, the customer receives bank transfer slips with reference
numbers and secret codes to receive money from any bank branch.

Initially, the bank said, the service will only be available at branches
in areas highly populated with alien labour, such as in Bangkok's Bang
Khunthian and Bang Bon, Samut Sakhon, Ratchaburi, Kamphaeng Phet,
Kanchanaburi's Tha Maka, Ranong, Phangnga and Phuket.

_____________________________________

INTERNATIONAL

June 21, Reuters
Tutu calls for Myanmar to be "next South Africa"

Johannesburg: South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu called on Tuesday for
a fresh global effort to oust Myanmar's military junta, saying the
southeast Asian state should be the "next South Africa" freed from
tyranny.

"During the struggle against apartheid musicians, trade unionists,
churches, teachers and students showed what we could do ... against
tyranny miles away," Tutu wrote in an opinion piece in The Star, a local
newspaper.

"South Africa is now a democracy. We can make Burma (Myanmar) the next
South Africa ... I make a direct call here, to the friends who fought
against apartheid South Africa, to help support the people of Burma," the
Nobel Laureate wrote, referring to Myanmar by its former name.

Tutu also praised fellow Nobel Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi -- Myanmar's
detained democracy icon who turned 60 on Sunday -- comparing her to
anti-apartheid hero Nelson Mandela.

He said that from the political landscape of a "brutal military
dictatorship .... emerged Burma's own Mandela, in the form of the
powerfully charismatic woman Aung San Suu Kyi."

Tutu said that if the global coalition which brought pressure on
white-ruled South Africa "could be mustered for Suu Kyi, the result could
be just as glorious."

South Africa had its first all-race elections in 1994, ending centuries of
white domination.

But Myanmar's rulers have long resisted pressure to change.

Analysts say that given the isolation and intransigence of those in charge
of the former British colony, which has been under military rule for more
than four decades, making noises from afar is about all the junta's
opponents can do.

____________________________________

June 21, Thai Press Reports
Kofi Annan repeats call for release of Aung San Suu Kyi

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan has urged Burma's military junta to
release detained opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

The secretary-general joined politicians and human rights activists from
around the world in sending greetings to Aung San Suu Kyi, as she prepares
to celebrate her 60th birthday. But in carefully worded response to a
reporter's question, Mr. Annan avoided mentioning the detained Burmese
opposition leader by name.

"Let me first wish a Happy Birthday. It is unfortunate she is celebrating
it under the circumstances that one would not have wished for her, a
leader of her party, and I wish she were out amongst her people and her
supporters pushing for stability and democracy and democratization of her
society," he said.

Mr. Annan said he has been in touch with the head of Burma's military
junta to seek Aung San Suu Kyi's release.

"I have had a chance to raise this issue with General Than Shwe and I
would urge him to release her and let her join her party and join the
national dialogue and national reconciliation," he said.

Political activists, performers and governments throughout the world are
increasing pressure on Burma to release Aung San Suu Kyi. Britain and the
United States have been among the most vocal in condemning her detention.

British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw issued a statement in London
condemning what he described as Burma's "appalling" human rights record.

Congressman Tom Lantos has said he will lead a demonstration to demand
Aung San Suu Kyi's release Friday in front of the Burmese embassy in
Washington. Other protests are planned at several other Burmese embassies
worldwide.

Despite international pressure, the Nobel laureate has spent nine of the
last 16 years behind bars or under house arrest.

Burma's military, in power since 1962, says it remains committed to a
political transition, including a new constitution that would lead
eventually to greater freedoms.

A U.N. human rights envoy who had visited Burma six times before November,
2003 called this week for the military authorities to clarify the
country's political direction.

After his last visit, human rights envoy Paulo Sergio Pinheiro sharply
criticized the detention of 1,300 political prisoners and expressed
skepticism about the government's reform plans. He has not been allowed to
return since.

_____________________________________
OPINION / OTHER

June 21, Philippine Daily Inquirer
Pressure on Burma

It was only fitting that former President Corazon Aquino should lead
Filipino activists in offering prayers for the unconditional release of
Aung San Suu Kyi, the world's only Nobel Prize winner who is being held
prisoner, on her 60th birthday last Sunday. Ms Aquino's husband, former
Sen. Benigno "Ninoy" Aquino, spent eight years in detention before he was
allowed to go to the United States to be treated for a heart ailment.

The date was also fitting. Sunday, Suu Kyi's birthday, was also the 144th
anniversary of the birth of Jose Rizal whose martyrdom sparked the
Revolution that freed the Philippines from Spanish rule. Like our national
hero, Suu Kyi is a modern-day heroine for democracy and freedom. It's high
time Burma's ruling junta released Suu Kyi who has spent the last 14 years
in confinement.

Ms Aquino and the activists pledged to help in Suu Kyi's crusade to bring
democracy to Burma. Akbayan Rep. Loreta Ann Rosales, a political detainee
during Ferdinand Marcos' dictatorship, said she would continue to work
with other Southeast Asian legislators to press Burma's military junta to
return to democracy. Rosales has filed a resolution asking the House of
Representatives to oppose Burma's chairmanship of the Association of
Southeast Asian Nations unless it frees Suu Kyi and other dissidents and
fulfills its promise to democratize.

There may be a response from Burma when the Asean holds its ministerial
meeting from July 24 to 29 in Vientiane, Laos. But right now the prospects
of the military junta releasing Suu Kyi and democratizing Burma are not
too encouraging.

In the past three months, the junta has taken a firm stand against the
release of Suu Kyi. It has resisted calls for Burma to give up the
chairmanship of Asean in 2006 under an alphabetically rotating system.
Laos, now the chair of Asean, will be succeeded in July by Malaysia. The
scheduled next chair is Burma (Myanmar) in 2006.

During the past three months, various nations and international entities
have been urging Burma to democratize and to make a start by releasing Suu
Kyi, to no avail. In April, legislators from five countries urged the
Inter-Parliamentary Union that was meeting in Manila to put the Burma
issue on the agenda, but failed in their efforts.

Asean drew out Burma from isolation in 1997, taking the more conciliatory
approach of "constructive engagement" with the reclusive generals of the
ruling junta. Asean legislators have said that the approach has not
produced any result. Those wanting Burma to change will have to exert
stronger diplomatic and public relations pressure.

The freedom-loving nations and organizations of the world continue to put
pressure on Burma to release Suu Kyi and take definite steps to
democratize. Among the latest to join the clamor for democratization and
Suu Kyi's release were a group of 14 Nobel laureates, the Norwegian Nobel
Committee and Bishop Desmond Tutu who helped galvanize global opinion
against apartheid in South Africa.

Burma's critics say its poor human rights record and reluctance to reform
tarnishes the reputation of Asean, and so it should not be allowed to
become the chair of the 10-member regional grouping. If Burma takes over
the chairmanship of Asean in 2006 without democratizing first, Asean could
become alienated from its Western allies. If Burma takes over, it would
host in 2007 a major security forum that is usually attended by Asean's
dialogue partners: the European Union, the United States, Australia, New
Zealand, India, Japan, Korea, China and Russia.

The European Union and the United States, which have imposed economic
sanctions on Burma, have warned that they would boycott Asean meetings if
a country with a questionable human rights record would preside over them.
It would be a pity if two of the world's leading economic and political
powers would disengage from a dialogue with Asean.

It is fitting that former President Aquino, who presided over the
transition of the Philippines from dictatorship back to democracy, should
remind the nation and the world of the plight of Suu Kyi and Burma. The
Philippines, as one of the vibrant democracies in Asia, has to lead the
effort in the region to maintain pressure on Burma to democratize. And it
could begin by continuing to call on Burma to give up the chairmanship of
the Asean unless it shows a clear indication that it is following the road
map to democratization.

_____________________________________

June 21, The International Herald Tribune
Letters to the Editor: Conditions in Myanmar

To say the least, I am very disturbed by the overall thrust of the article
"Myanmar targeting civilians, report says" (June 10) and the inaccuracies
it contains. Like most Western media reports, it indicates a shallow
knowledge of my country.

As the article said, the Human Rights Watch report was based on accounts
of fugitives from the Karen ethnic group who could not be identified "for
fear of retribution." So as usual, these allegations came from unreliable
anonymous sources that bear ill will toward Myanmar.

In fact, the government has responded to all queries of human rights
allegations by special rapporteurs of the United Nations Human Rights
Commission and also by the authorities of the International Labor
Organization. To cite examples, it was reported to these bodies that
military personnel who had violated the law by requisition of forced labor
one lieutenant colonel, four captains and two sergeants had been dismissed
from service and sentenced to jail. A total of 17 cases of forced
recruitment have been identified and duly punished.

As to counter allegations of rape against ethnic women, the government has
established the presence of the International Committee of the Red Cross
in the areas in question since the end of 2002. The government has
investigated 173 allegations of rape and found that five cases were
substantiated. In these cases, legal actions were meted out to the
perpetrators and the details of these cases were provided to the special
rapporteur of the Human Rights Commission on Violence against Women.

Therefore, the allegations that ethnic minorities suffered at the hands of
an unreformed and unaccountable army and that the government allowed the
army to kill with complete impunity are totally untrue.

Myanmar is a multiethnic and multi-religious society, with 135 ethnic
groups who have lived together since time immemorial. These groups do not
bear ill will against one another, as alleged by outsiders. Bamars,
Karens, Shans and the others live side by side. Scholars and diplomats
assigned here could vouch for the fact that there is no such thing as
persecution of Karens by Bamars. The government of Myanmar has been
addressing related issues by inviting insurgent groups to come back into
the legal fold. As a result, 17 armed groups from the border areas have
joined hands with the government to carry out development programs there.
The government has been taking serious measures to promote livelihoods and
development in these areas to get rid of social evils.

The International Herald Tribune needs to be sensitive to the real
conditions in Myanmar.

Aung Kyi, Washington, press officer, Embassy of the Union of Myanmar