BurmaNet News, May 28, 2009

Editor editor at burmanet.org
Thu May 28 14:24:01 EDT 2009

May 28, 2009, Issue #3721

INSIDE BURMA
FT (UK): Burmese court rejects Suu Kyi witnesses
BBC News: Burma rejects foreign criticism
New Light of Myanmar: Trial against US citizen Mr John William Yettaw, Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi, Daw Khin Khin Win and Ma Win Ma Ma heard for eighth day
DVB: Security 'didn't stop' Yettaw visit
DVB: Solo protestor arrested outside Insein
Irrawaddy: Explosions shake parts of Moulmein

ON THE BORDER
Mizzima News: Burmese army delegates in Kolkata

BUSINESS / TRADE
WSJ: Global economic crisis reaches Myanmar
Mizzima News: Chevron determined to retain investments in Burma

ASEAN
DVB: Burma presence concerns ASEAN head

INTERNATIONAL
AFP: Europe, ASEAN press Myanmar on Suu Kyi

OPINION / OTHER
Reuters: Q+A: Suu Kyi trial heads to inevitable verdict – Darren Schuettler
Irrawaddy: Is it time for Burma and Asean to part ways? – Nyo Ohn Myint
and Moe Zaw Oo

PRESS RELEASE
64ForSuu.org: Global campaign to free Aung San Suu Kyi launched today

____________________________________
INSIDE BURMA

May 28, Financial Times (UK)
Burmese court rejects Suu Kyi witnesses – Tim Johnston

Lawyers for Aung San Suu Kyi, the detained Burmese opposition leader,
expect to make their closing arguments in her trial on Monday, with the
verdict to be announced shortly afterwards.

On Thursday, Kyi Win, a jurist and member of Mrs Suu Kyi’s National League
for Democracy argued that the charges against her had been mistakenly
applied. He was the only one of the four defence witnesses proposed by Mrs
Suu Kyi’s team that the court allowed to take the stand.

Mrs Suu Kyi is charged with breaking the terms of her house arrest by
allowing an American, John Yettaw, to stay the night without reporting him
to the authorities. Mr Yettaw used a pair of home-made flippers to swim
uninvited to her lakeside house earlier this month.

Mrs Suu Kyi, 63, is fighting the charges, which carry a maximum penalty of
five years’ imprisonment.

She told the court that she gave Mr Yettaw “temporary shelter” because he
was exhausted and hungry after the swim and because she did not want to
create trouble for him or for the security detail which is supposed to
guard her house.

Mr Yettaw, a 53-year-old veteran of the Vietnam War who lives in Falcon,
Missouri, is also on trial for breaking immigration and national security
laws. He seems to have had more confused motives for his quixotic mission.

“He said the reason he came was in his vision he saw that Aung San Suu Kyi
was assassinated by terrorists. Because of his vision, he came here to
warn Aung San Suu Kyi and also the government," said Nyan Win, one of Mrs
Suu Kyi’s legal team.

If he is convicted, Mr Yettaw could be sentenced to up to seven years in
prison.

Mrs Suu Kyi’s trial has been widely criticised: the United States called
the proceedings “outrageous”, Britain’s Gordon Brown said he was “deeply
troubled”, and a long list of Nobel Laureates and human rights activists
have gathered together to demand Mrs Suu Kyi’s unconditional release.

And countries which have traditionally been reluctant to be too critical
of the Burmese government, many of them Asian neighbours, have joined in
the criticism.

The Association of South East Asian Nations, an influential regional
grouping of which Burma is a member, has voiced rare concern, provoking a
sharp reaction from the Burmese authorities.

"It is not political, it is not a human rights issue. So we don't accept
pressure and interference from abroad," Maung Mynt, Burma’s deputy foreign
minister told ministers gathered for an Asia-Europe Meeting in the
Cambodian capital Phnom Penh on Thursday.

But most outside observers say that Mrs Suu Kyi's treatment only makes
sense when seen through the lens of Burma's internal politics.

Diplomats say that even China, Burma’s biggest trading partner and most
influential ally, is privately unhappy with the government’s decision to
put Mrs Suu Kyi on trial, although it is holding fast to its policy of
non-intervention in public.

____________________________________

May 28, BBC News
Burma rejects foreign criticism – Jonathan Head

The Burmese government has rejected foreign criticism of the charges
against opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi as interference from abroad.

Speaking at a meeting of EU and South East Asian ministers in Cambodia,
the deputy foreign minister insisted that her trial was not a human rights
issue.

US President Barack Obama has called Ms Suu Kyi's hearing a show trial.

The regional group Asean recently warned Burma that its honour and
credibility were at stake.

The trial entered its ninth day on Thursday, with more testimony from the
American who swam to Ms Suu Kyi's house.

'Internal issue'

Faced with a barrage of criticism over their prosecution of the country's
most popular politician, the Burmese authorities have made small
concessions - for example allowing journalists and diplomats to observe
two days of the mainly closed trial.

But their determination to produce a guilty verdict against Aung San Suu
Kyi has never been in doubt.

Now the military government has lashed back at its critics. "We don't
accept pressure and interference from abroad," said Deputy Foreign
Minister Maung Myint.

"The case against Aung San Suu Kyi is an internal legal issue," he said.

Ms Suu Kyi is being charged with violating house arrest regulations,
because an American man who said he had been instructed by God to save
her, managed to swim to her house across a lake.

She faces a prison sentence of between three and five years if found
guilty, a near-certain outcome, according to diplomats in the country.

When that happens there will be more outrage from around the world, and
probably plenty in Burma too, although that is unlikely to be expressed
openly.

But Burma's rulers will press grimly on with their plans for an election
next year - an election in which the opposition will be allowed to play
only a marginal role, if any.

____________________________________

May 28, New Light of Myanmar
Trial against US citizen Mr John William Yettaw, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Daw
Khin Khin Win and Ma Win Ma Ma heard for eighth day

Yangon North District Court heard the trial against US citizen Mr John
William Yettaw, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Daw Khin Khin Win and Ma Win Ma Ma
for the eighth day at 10 am today to continue its criminal case 47/2009.
The court interrogated Daw Khin Khin Win first.

Daw Khin Khin Win as a defendant of her own volition replied to the
questions. Her answers to the questions of the court are as follows:

Q: How long have you been living with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi who is before
the court at her house?