[CLOH-News] Rut row - Peloton stocks tumble. Do any of you use a Peloton? We got a bike in January

Mark Rauterkus mark.rauterkus at gmail.com
Wed May 5 17:15:59 EDT 2021

Hi Coaches,

Fitness news from Front Office Sports:

- -  snip starts - -

Peloton is recalling its treadmills — Tread and Tread+ — as a result of
mounting pressure following dozens of injuries and the death of a
6-year-old.

*News of the recall sent Peloton’s stock tumbling below $83 on Wednesday,* an
eight-month low. The stock had already dropped 22% from early April to
market close on Tuesday.

The connected fitness company is offering refunds for over 130,000 Tread+
machines ($4,295), and another 1,050 Treads ($2,495).

Peloton is rolling out
<https://newsletter.cmail19.com/t/t-l-mhtkdo-gzhhdlty-t/> software updates
to prevent machines from being turned on involuntarily and offering to move
treadmills to a room inaccessible to children and pets in lieu of a recall.

With a recent $100 million investment to scale up logistics and a growing
number of challengers on the market, Peloton can ill afford a hit to its
brand.

   - *A slew of competitors have received funding this year:* Tonal ($250
   million), Tempo ($220 million), Ergatta ($30 million), Hydrow ($25
   million), Motosumo ($6 million), and LIT Method (undisclosed).
   - The company is also dealing with revelations
   <https://newsletter.cmail19.com/t/t-l-mhtkdo-gzhhdlty-i/> that all of
   its customer data is available to any member through a leak in its software
   API.

Peloton CEO John Foley apologized for initially brushing off warnings from
the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

- - -  end snip - -
If any of you use a Peloton, send me a friend request. I'm Rauterkus.
I like to ride six days most weeks, but I'm not really dialed into the
whole zone things. It would be fun to chat about how they do it vs. what
Jon has with the colors. Plus, there are many days when I just turn off the
sound for a podcast and make up my own routine -- often racing my prior
best performances.

= = =

Finally, a typo in the last email was so embarrassing for me: Sorry Coach
Prindle.

--
Ta.

Mark Rauterkus       Mark at Rauterkus.com
Webmaster, International Swim Coaches Association, SwimISCA.org
412 298 3432 = cell