[game_preservation] Game preservation videos?

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Sat Aug 4 19:54:53 EDT 2007

Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> Just an idea, but does it have any merit? (Quick yes or no would do ;) I

> was just wondering). If someone has done or started this already, got

> any links or sources?

I know of no such resource, although at MobyGames we have toyed with the
idea of allowing video submissions (in fact, we've had the technology in
place for almost a year). The obvious problem, for us anyway, is that
video files take up space and bandwidth, and we're not made of money.
So until the cost issue can be resolved, we probably won't implement it.

The problem with any such video archive is that inevitably the
submissions are of such a bad quality that it could hardly be considered
archival. www.archive.org is the only resource I know of that is doing
video *correctly* (you can submit 720x480/576 MPEG-2 and they will keep
it, make it available, and derive smaller mpeg-4 versions for
web/ipod/etc.).

A quick search of www.archive.org shows some submissions; I did one that
was part speedrun, part example:
http://www.archive.org/details/PunchOutArcadeSpeedrun
You'll notice that no attempt at resizing was made (the odd aspect ratio
of the gamefield was preserved) and I used the leftover space to show
what the cabinet looked like, some trivia, etc. Ideally, I'd like any
such archive to adhere to some of these standards in order to be truly
useful.

Then again, I have unreasonably high standards ;-)
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/
Help our electronic games project: http://www.mobygames.com/