[game_preservation] Game preservation videos?

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Aug 6 14:09:21 EDT 2007

Historically recorded videos (or other media; including save games and
replays) would be certainly important to improve the metadata of,
indeed, citations are nearly impossible (although citing by URL and time
point is possible to a degree, it can be hard to find some other data
involved). This is one area that, if the Internet Archive can improve
its services with some help from us, be worth discussing or sorting
(whether here, or in the Congress project, anywhere would do :) ).

Videos really have a few mediums for marking points - some formats
include the concept of chapters, some do . There are some up and coming
open source video formats (Theora for instance) which may allow
inclusion of more metadata then the standard ones (OGG for instance can
have any amount added in the container, with some standard ones being
usually readable by players).

Possibly subtitles allow extra metadata (copyright data, time of
recording, author, etc.) and chapter points to be marked visually.

On the technical aspects of demo viewers; I think emulation has a shot
at this, some games are pretty simple and might be worth recording
inputs and simply replaying them back into the game - however, some do
not work like this - such as the earlier video by Jim on Punch Out
Arcade - which in fact, could not be saved at any point and had to be
played from start to finish, due to how the game worked.

Newer games, certainly a select few genre's with multiplayer involve
replay saves - RTS games have this commonly (although it is dependant,
obviously, on the correct patch) but for multiplayer only. FPS games may
have demo recording for multiplayer and singleplayer (usually the same
commands, as in Half Life, and Quake). Not many other games do this, for
whatever reason (singleplayer only games, why'd you need to record them?)

Without the games source code for non-emulated games, it'd be pretty
hard to reproduce replays, nevermind replay them - a viewer would be
nigh on impossible on most games themselves, even to get them just
working in a modern OS.

They would be by far the smallest and most compact way of losslessly
recording a game's events however, they'd be a good resource to collect
- is the Internet Archive up for the task? You said that it'd be more
auxiliary, but some games do support it fully (even if you need the full
game to replay them).

On the other sections; it is a big shame there isn't any named
"historical" or "preservation" section, you didn't mention any a
documentary might go readily into, or a critical study of a game, or a
simple recording of playing it with thoughts. I came to this conclusion
when I looked at the archive a bit, the only real section is "Videogame
Previews", but that's not exactly a good place for historical content
made today.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the project mentioned too, but I
doubt am not really a candidate to help much with it.

Andrew