[game_preservation] Game preservation videos?

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Aug 6 15:12:39 EDT 2007

Henry,

A new category sounds appropriate if there is content to go there,
certainly we're talking about video but I don't see why audio, replays,
and other media wouldn't be appropriate historical data. I am not sure
of the Internet Archives aims in these areas though - replays as noted,
would be more attachments to videos as you said.

It'd be excellent to do documentary-style footage of all fields of
gaming, from "competitive" to "casual" to "serious", in different
genre's and with games from different ages (why some games are still
popular for starters!). If this occurred, I don't think there is a
section, so a new one for this would be best, likely with proper
metadata categorisation of course.

Another area I missed was fan-made shows too, which show gamer culture
in various ways. Like TV and film, these occur can be "documentary
like", like their personal reviews, or can be entirely fictional like,
Pure Pwnage. I said fan films for ones made available for free online,
but there are also non-free non-fan films (from the bad to the worse...)
and TV shows documenting games not readily available or at least
information made available about their creation.

One replays; RTS replays I agree are definitely better then video. A
video only captures a specific place and time even if in a lossless
video format - trying to watch a real time game is near impossible when
there are more then 2 players, making repeated viewings via. a replay
needed to gather the strategy of one player at a time. Its fascinating
watching replays (you can see how Koreans love Starcraft so much). A
video works for a casual viewer who needs to be directed to the action,
but allows no interaction - the medium is interactive, and replays
provides that so well. I just wish other games did capturing inputs and
replays!

I agree a massive amount of metadata (Dates, Internal (if possible)
version numbers and external patch numbers, at the most basic level), is
needed for all of this, no game patch has not broken, or nearly broken,
RTS replay playback due to the nature of the beast. FPS replays are more
stable however.

Emulation ones would be even more stable to a degree, but the copyright
problem exists for these.

Andrew