[game_preservation] Consolevania Scottish piece

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sun Aug 19 14:08:05 EDT 2007

Hey,

I'm back from Edinburgh (a visit to the Fringe Festival), and managed to
see Consolevania's <http://consolevania.com/> Scottish game developer
movie (the only thing at the Edinburgh Interactive Festival I saw). Was
good actually, if a little short in the editing and prep department,
despite from a person involved saying it was made "last week in 3 days
and shipped here via. plane" :)

The whole thing involved checking what many different Scottish game
developers/studios were doing (although not Rockstar who were,
"naturally", silent, and some others were busy), what they thought of
the Scottish industry, its future, and its past.

With regards to pieces like this (and it isn't on the net yet, but they
have posted it will be before the end of the month or so - I'd recommend
watching it myself) is there any effort to collect them or at least keep
a record of them? I am sure this kind of work is very worthwhile,
especially in the future as a past look at what things were like (that,
and I personally want to watch any myself!)

Also, anyone know if Internet Archive has any place for this kind of
material? meaning "documentary" or factual stuff on the industry itself
(not specific games). I only mention this because I don't know of any
other on-line place where they'd accept large video uploads, and allow a
properly accessible archive of the content available. We discussed this
before but there wasn't much of a consensus on documentary-style stuff,
or if anything might be appropriate to start on it.

Andrew