[game_preservation] The Library of Congress project, upcoming plans

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sun Sep 9 12:35:59 EDT 2007

Hey Henry,

Reading all the information, the project sounds good. Looks some really
good aims, and hopefully some form of accessible archive will come from
it - so I hope it goes well from January! I can't help directly, but let
the group know if we can do any specific task that doesn't involve
living in the USA and being an academic archiver :-)

I put the PDF you attached to your email on the IGDA wiki here:
http://www.igda.org/wiki/images/8/81/About_preserving_virtual_worlds_2.pdf
so anyone not on this list could obtain it.

Its a shame the GDC 2008 is earlier then GDC 2007, means if I was able
to go (maybe should apply for the IGDA's Scholarships), it'd be a week
out of my University term (although saying that, GDC 2007 would have
been too, if I was at University at the time), but I would so love to go
(I'm not likely going to get praise from you, a University professor,
for wanting to miss part of my University year though :) ).

So it is great to know you'll be trying to get some roundtables and
another Digital Game Canon session. The workshop, I presume, is not
something I'd get anything out of since I'm not the intended audience,
but if it helped the IP holders even in the slightest and urged them to
help with donations, and on how they should store their own archives,
it'd likely be highly worthwhile (especially with the UT Videogame
archive starting, giving another location for a physical archive
collection that needs donations).

Also, what is the State of Play event? Searching the net only turned up
dates for State of Play 2007, and no real info on what it entailed :)

Andrew