[game_preservation] IGDA Preservation Roundtables at GDC 2008 -- meeting notes

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 27 19:03:33 EST 2008

Hi everybody,

Here are my notes from the Preservation SIG
roundtables at GDC. I waited a few days to post
this, so attendees who were not already members
of the SIG could sign up for this mailing list.

First, these were the best-attended meetings in
the four (five?) years’ worth of roundtables that
I have attended. I counted 44 people between
the two sessions, 41 of whom signed up on the
circulated sheets. That’s about twice as many
as attended last year. And that’s with a 9am session on Wednesday.

Second, before I get to detailed notes, here
right off the bat are the “takeaways” that I
noted as forming a todo list for the SIG over the
next year. If I have left anything out, please
remind me. I am happy to revise the notes before
posting to the wiki. I will wait a week or so to
give people time to revise, add, etc.

Takeaways

1. An oral history program.
2. Profiles of collectors and/or collector
contact information or information for/about
collectors made available via the SIG wiki.
3. Facilitate coordination among repositories,
e.g., Texas, Stanford, Worcester Polytechnic
Institute, Strong National Museum of Play (these
repositories were represented by attendees at the roundtables).
4. White paper on issues/needs/value of game
preservation and history. (Follow up in 2009
with a white paper documenting best practices.)
This would begin to address issues of outreach,
developer awareness, contact with developers &
designers regarding archival materials,
etc. (volunteers for this effort: Henry Lowood,
Warren Spector, Chris Grant, Steve Meretzky,
Frank Cifaldi, Liz Lawley, Jean-Paul Dyson, Don Hopkins -- did I miss anyone?)
5. Volunteer to act as liaison to IGDA Education SIG.

So, the task for the SIG now is to organize these projects and get to work.

Details and discussion topics:

As chair, I opened with a 5-minute introduction, covering two main areas:
1. the SIG’s activities over the last
year. These includes the Digital Game Canon
event at GDC 2007 and the formation of a group of
volunteers who have taken over responsibility for
the mailing list and wiki. The wiki has grown
quite a bit under the leadership of Andrew
Armstrong. Two areas esp. worth mentioning are
the pages devoted to documentation of the ten
games put forward as the Digital Game Canon
(organized by Andrew and Simon Carless) and the
new program of memorial pages (organized by Devin Monnens and Andrew).
The Digital Game Canon will continue as an annual
affair, but it was not accepted in 2008 as a GDC
program. So we are looking for a new venue (which
could be on-line or a RL meeting). Now that GDC
has passed, it is time to investigate seriously
how we will continue this program. (After the
meeting, Chris Grant opened up an interesting
possibility of working with Joystiq on this program.)
2. The “Preserving Virtual Worlds” project funded
by the U.S. Library of Congress, through NDIIPP’s
Preserving Creative America program. Cf.
<http://www.ndiipp.uiuc.edu/pca/>http://www.ndiipp.uiuc.edu/pca/.
Handouts about the project were passed
around. See the project site for more details.
The first roundtable meeting opened with
around-the-table introductions, punctuated by a
wide-ranging discussion about what it means for a
game to be “preserved.” Topics included
emulation, migration, museum exhibitions and the
different ways of experiencing a game.

Another topic brought up was the tendency of game
developers to use networked technology in ways
that make game preservation more difficult, an
example being online activation of games (e.g.,
Bioshock). This topic introduced the theme of how
to increase awareness among developers about
long-term preservation of digital games and how
current practices might interfere with that goal.

The NDIIPP project brings up the issue of how to
connect knowledgeable, quick-moving, energetic
private collectors/players/fans/designers/hackers
who have done so much about game preservation to
the large cultural institutions that are
beginning to take notice of the need for the
long-term “industrial strength” solutions they
can provide. How do we put together the
strengths of the pt-boats and the
battleships? The NDIIPP project offers one
avenue for participation; another suggestion was
to try to create a network of collectors through
the SIG. A wiki page devoted to collectors and
possibly to contact information about collectors
seems like a good place to start.

In the first roundtable, several people suggested
that there is need for more work not just on
software preservation, but also on matters such
as archival collecting, oral histories, and video
documentation of gameplay. There will be a new
Virtual World videos collection on the Internet
Archive as part of the NDIIPP effort. In the
second roundtable on Thursday, more meat was put
on the bones of a possible oral history project
or set of projects that the SIG could facilitate. Some of the ideas proposed:
1. Coordinate or survey current oral history or
interview efforts and survey existing collections
(probably something for the wiki).
2. Share information about interviewing
techniques and perhaps develop a list of common questions. (wiki?)
3. Coordinate a program of oral histories under
the umbrella of the SIG -- get names of
volunteers who would carry out interviews? Find
repositories for the raw interviews (Stanford,
Texas, and WPI have all done some work in this
area – maybe put copies in all three
repositories) and a host for streamed content and
transcripts (cf. Stanford’s Silicon Genesis site
for a model –
<http://silicongenesis.stanford.edu/>http://silicongenesis.stanford.edu).
Make sure the three dominant ways of accessing
oral histories are addressed: (1) watching an
entire interview; (2) reading a transcript; (3)
searching for interviews relevant for a particular topic, person, company, etc.
4. Should we put together a small project group to get this going?
5. Modest funding might be needed to help with
costs associated with interviews, hosting,
creation of metadata. (Henry can provide
estimates based on Silicon Genesis.) Hal Barwood
suggested contacting Bob Bates at IGDA Central about this project.

Besides fleshing out the oral history discussion
and repeating some of the conversation topics
from the first roundtable, the second roundtable
added the following topics to the mix:

1. Should the SIG establish a liaison to the
Education SIG? This would connect the
educational use of game collections to the
educators likely to use these materials. We need a volunteer for this role?
2. Coordination of archival collecting efforts by
cultural repositories (libraries, museums, etc.)
would be a good idea. How can the SIG facilitate
this? Would a regional approach work? It would
be good to convene a group of curators and others
who would like to develop this idea.
3. Several participants commented on the
different kinds of collections that are needed:
game software and hardware, contextual material
(e.g., archives and oral histories) and material
about player behavior (videos, data, etc.).
4. How do we get developers to contribute
materials to collections (in all of the above
categories)? This question led to the takeaway
of preparing a white paper in 2008 that addresses
the needs and value of game preservation – to the
industry, in particular, but also to academics,
players, and others. A group of about 8 people
volunteered to participate in organizing and
writing this white paper. We would then consider
putting together a second white paper in 2009 to
document best practices – this would tie in
nicely with the scheduled completion of the NDIIPP project at the end of 2009.

A good time was had by all. My sense is that by
the end of the second roundtable, we had a good
sense of shared community and some projects we
can work on over the next year. See you at the 2009 roundtable!

Please feel free to add your own notes. I’ll
compile the additions and then add this page to the wiki.

Henry

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004