[game_preservation] Project Discussion: Oral Histories

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Fri Feb 6 14:34:51 EST 2009

I left this open but no one has replied. Another bump, we do have some
new members.

This project is, really, a bit too practical for the SIG to do "by
volunteer work" as all SIG's operate (with most of our work going on
online). With no money, and no one seeking out sponsorship, donations,
or funding, we don't have any equipment (nevermind manpower and
transport) to do this actively, even though it is an excellent idea, and
we'd likely be able to find interested developers to participate.

So, perhaps it can help by cataloguing other efforts in the area,
preserving them on the Internet Archive, and helping logistically and
with advertising the service. If anyone also did want to do histories
through us somehow, having the final result freely available online or
in an archive would be invaluable. This is tough to setup without people
who are in industry available to be "on call" or to sign up, and without
people who want to do the recordings in the first place! It's a lot of
work on both sides (finding time for both, and possibly major
travelling, preparing and researching, equipment, post-production...)

Therefore, this project is going no where with no active interest. I
personally can put forward weekend time and possibly take days off to
record things, but since I have no videocamera I can't help directly. I
would like to investigate setting up a signup form for both sides - the
interviewers and interviewees so we can get a good list of people (and
their location, what they did) to do interviews with, and who to send,
and get people talking this way. There is a possibility that this is
better done informally, however, or maybe through the new IGDA site
which is mainly forum based (with mailing lists possible, just really
being forum posts being sent to accounts, with replies being allowed),
and thus developers would easily be able to get involved with the SIG
and discuss it on forums or via. PM's/email.

There was some possible interest from Dean O'Donnell from WPI, who is
running an oral histories project with student help. Other then this I
know of no proper active oral histories project, save Jason Scott's GET
LAMP documentary, which is basically edited oral histories (which I hope
he puts online in full :) ).

Andrew