[game_preservation] Home of the Underdogs‏

Dan Pinchbeck Dan.Pinchbeck at port.ac.uk
Mon Feb 16 18:41:22 EST 2009

We may well be able to host if we can get hold of it. I'll check that out with my boss, but it's close enough to the work we are doing to make a case for it, if we can get an idea of the scale of hosting needed (and given we are an HE institution, there would be hoops to jump through to keep our legal people happy that everything there was legit)

Dan

Dan Pinchbeck
Advanced Games Research Group
School of Creative Technologies
University of Portsmouth, UK

www.thechineseroom.co.uk

>>> Andrew Armstrong <andrew at aarmstrong.org> 16/02/09 10:33 PM >>>

Just to let the list know, as I said I would have, I have sent an email
to the known lead, but it's likely she won't be able to help from the
sounds of it.

I think the metadata, community data and news is the most important part
to preserve, rightly so. Anything else is a bonus, be it the freeware or
abandonware software or patches/screenshots. Perhaps we should should
set up some kind of program to deal with having such data from websites
(which go down or drastically change with increasing frequency) sent to
archives if archives can't deal with it right now (for whatever reason,
large uploads of data seem out of the question for some places, and of
course sending physical hard drives or DVD's around the world are likely
to break or cost a lot to do).

Andrew

Henry Lowood wrote:

> Hi Alan,

> do you think there is any chance of getting the data/metadata from the

> site? The site itself is available via archive.org, last crawled 12

> Feb. 08, though the top post is dated 13 Jan. 2006. (I think that's

> as it should be, since the site hasn't been active for a while.) I

> think if we had the data, with permission to use it, we might be able

> to construct a database that people could use. Would you know whom

> to contact for permission to do that?

> Henry

> Alan Au wrote:

>> Henry Lowood wrote:

>>> Alan, would it be ok if we add your note to the SIG blog?

>>> I've noticed a citation or two out there on the web, tracking

>>> back to your "post" to the SIG, but of course there isn't

>>> one.

>>> Henry