[game_preservation] Windows 7 and Virtual PC XP

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sat Jul 25 06:14:40 EDT 2009

So I've pre-ordered Windows 7 so it's not rediculously-expensive,
instead just man-thats-expensive. It does, it says, come with a virtual
way of running apps in an XP environment (I got the Pro or whatever
version, but not just for this).

I was wondering, since I don't have the RC installed, does this work at
all for any kind of games, or is it purely just the XP API with no real
driver support? I know VirtualPC which you can run OS's off is basically
like running on a stripped down box with a generic CPU, some RAM and a
hard drive, but no graphics or sound support to speak of. I don't know
if it is the same way of doing it, simply more built-in to the OS?

I just know some games won't work with 7 (like Vista, since they run a
very similar OS model), and virtulising XP might be a cure for that, but
only if there is hardware support in it.

I think once I research this a bit more (since as on XP now, I have very
few problems running older games) I'll get digging into WINE and also
emulator projects (DOSBox is obvious, others that are starting to
provide hardware support or 3d emulation are worth looking at too) and
might gather some resources for our list (bibliography website still
pending ;) ). If anyone has a list of these it'd be welcome, before I
get a new PC and slam into the ground running on Vista SP3, I mean,
Windows 7 ;)

Thanks!

Andrew