[game_preservation] Old PC Game Sales for XP/Vista

Rachel Donahue donahrm at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 11:37:20 EDT 2009

True, I wouldn't consider it preservation. But speaking purely as a
gamer, it's still a decent place for a king's quest fix!

This message brought to you by the Sheepod.

On Jul 25, 2009, at 5:46 AM, Andrew Armstrong <andrew at aarmstrong.org>
wrote:

> Man, no, not Steam, not for us preservationists! might as well

> suggest EA's download service, hoho...

> I've got to seriously suggest we do a paper or some research on the

> use of online DRM and DRM in general and how it basically makes our

> jobs impossible. :D I was going to do a basic post/wiki page on it,

> but finding actual concrete information on what DRM is applied,

> company policy and so forth is nearly impossible - all the news is

> bloody vague, a nightmare for research on a topic no company wants

> to literally come out with "WE OWN THE RIGHT TO STOP YOU USING OUR

> STUFF IMMEDIATELY". I perhaps will suggest this as a project to

> investigate - and go out journalistic-ly with this SIG's backing to

> get some information on all the DRM currently used. :)

> Good Old Games I featured on our news feed when it opened last year,

> by the way :) I've not had the chance to buy anything from it (I

> have tons of games left to play), but they are DRM free, which is

> awesome! I agree prices can be a bit heavy sometimes, but it looks

> like it'll be a good resource if it hangs around (and if it doesn't,

> anything you have downloaded won't magically go poof :) ).

> BTW, if no one knows about it (and I'm trying to contact them, but

> man is it slow), Liberated Games still has a catalogue of free

> games: http://liberatedgames.org/

> Andrew

> Rachel "Sheepy" Donahue wrote:

>> There's also Steam :)

>> http://store.steampowered.com/

>> On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 21:35:00 -0400, Devin Monnens

>> <dmonnens at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> My friend just sent me this website that sells classic PC games

>>> for low

>>> prices. I'm not sure how this relates to preservation, but it's

>>> http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/