[game_preservation] Old PC Game Sales for XP/Vista

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sat Jul 25 16:03:02 EDT 2009

Yep, I don't know enough about the service - if I did, I'd provide some
info. As far as I know, they just repackage things from the publishers -
thus the limited catalogue, because it's all needing that legal edge
(some games I expect will never appear there). They're not original
media - most are tuned with patches to work on XP onwards AFAIK.

Preservation needs the original media - so it'd be nice to investigate
DRM regarding games released purely available either tied to more
typical DRM (limited installs, disk checks on disks will will break,
needing the manual, code wheels etc.), or those released purely using
online methods or online DRM, tied to server architecture (slightly
different, since the DRM cannot be ever worked around if the server
simply isn't there!).

Kindle is a perfect example, as is the Microsoft DRM Music Store, which
went offline, as well as multiplayer in games themselves when servers
shut down with no alternatives available.

Newer examples include Command and Conquerer 4 announced as "always
needing online play even in singleplayer" as with Starcraft 2's "cannot
play off the internet (LAN) multiplayer", obviously made in the name of
piracy, stat tracking and DRM.

Funny, really, since either people think these companies will existing
in 20, 30 or 100 years to keep their servers running (at cost) to keep
the DRM going, or that they'll release patches to remove DRM if they go
bust (no they don't - testamount to allowing a firmware patch on a
console to disable the "cannot be a copied disk" never being ever
released ever), or that there will even be the internet as the game knew
it in the future - we'll have to emulate IPv4 most likely, come the IPv6
push (we already have to emulate IPX for certain games!), nevermind what
happens far in the future, hehe.

So, I'll work on this at some point, some kind of information gathering
- for preservationists to be aware of (with data if available), and try
and get some info from the companies doing this kind of thing. I'm
worried that "original media" will be pretty much "you need to connect
constantly to the internet", which will make it nigh on impossible to
preserve.

As for licences and selling and whatnot, I'm not a lawyer, but the
companies seem to think they have it both ways - "selling" you something
as well as "licensing" it. Most bizarre, sigh. (don't even get started
on boilerplate and untested EULA's which stop many bits of preservation
dead!).

Large area though, will need some work.

Andrew

>>> http://store.steampowered.com/