[game_preservation] iPhone Game Preservation

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Tue Jul 28 04:54:55 EDT 2009

No doubt Apple keeps and is able to archive copies themselves (since
they do hold the keys). No doubt they'd need contacting to get an answer
out about preserving the applications on there, the question on if
they'd want to do anything (even signing an agreement to archive them in
the future), is beyond me.

I think the iPhone has plenty of things that need preserving - not just
games mind you - along with other more open and more closed platforms.
The mobile space has barely been scratched regarding preservation AFAIK,
basically because it's impossible to actually get the original files for
those platforms (tough luck trying to get backups usually), or get them
at any reasonable non-contract price on a device which will last more
then a few years (without any way of revocation of software from the
original parties!), and also phones ware out so fast compared to other
hardware, without a way to transfer material between them easily usually
- SD cards luckily help I guess with this :)

Certainly a problem :( Much like how, for instance, the PSPGo is going
all download-only, a similar style to the iPhone etc. (but with less
content and more gatekeeping mind you).

Andrew