[game_preservation] iPhone Game Preservation

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 29 16:54:43 EDT 2009

Wow, so that's even a huge jump from the figure that was given two years
ago. I suppose part of the reason is that the bit-depth of the
high-end digital film keeps going up, plus the addition of tracks for
various purposes. My God, 100TB. I'll take the 50MB machinima pieces
in the archives, thank you.

Oh, btw, the AMAS archivist also passed out a chart showing the
incredible number of digital video formats that have been used for
production in the movie industry. It was literally in the dozens for
just the past decade or so. So that's another issue.

Henry

Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> Fair enough. Funnily I was looking up some numbers, and saw Monsters

> versus Aliens was at the 100TB mark for production storage. Ouch, if

> you wanted to store that at the "insane managed storage solution" price.

> Andrew

> Henry Lowood wrote:

>> Andrew,

>> 2TB is a lot for professionally managed storage solutions, which have

>> expensive per-kb costs, because until recent years, the primary group

>> of customers was law firms. They can afford to pay a lot per byte,

>> and their documents are small by comparison to high-resolution moving

>> image collections; so there is an issue of scale.

>> Henry

>> Andrew Armstrong wrote:

>>> Really? fair enough, they need the quality of massive files.

>>> I'd love to see a breakdown of it, although it's barely something

>>> that related to the videogame world since even cutscenes are no

>>> where near the space of the digital-print quality needed as Jerome

>>> mentioned, and even if they were they are a few minutes in length.

>>> Is it 2 Terabytes? that's not that much space, did you mean

>>> petabytes? :)

>>> In any case, I am sure situations will change - well, they must do,

>>> since the film studios need some way to make future copies of a

>>> film. A shame games, then, are so small, even if original art

>>> assets, files and code is included with the final game files. ;)

>>> Blessing perhaps rather then a curse.

>>> Andrew