[game_preservation] PVW final report has been issued

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 21 18:58:20 EDT 2010

Rowan,

I think games and virtual worlds are the tip of the iceberg for digital
media. As all our media (text, music, movies) most to server-based
platforms with intermediate players and subscription services, we may
start seeing similar problems across-the-board. But I agree that games
and virtual worlds are at the edge, which is why it is so interesting to
work on how to preserve them.

WoW is going to be an especially interesting case soon, when the world
is "replaced," so to speak, as part of Cataclysm. Not a shutdown, as in
many other cases, but not continuous either. It will be interesting to
see video captures from the same areas (but different times) that will
no longer show the same surroundings. Plus there are still likely to be
private servers based on the old code and assets.

Henry

650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu; http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood