[LEAPSECS] ATT drops time

Chris O'Byrne obyrne at iol.ie
Thu Aug 30 05:50:38 EDT 2007

I had an encounter with the phone company's clock many years ago that
leads me to say "good riddance".

I was involved in a project that required very accurate time (1
microsecond or better). We purchased a GPS with a 1pps output for this.
The problem I had was that whereas I had these wonderfully sharp
accurate pulses on each second, I wasn't quite sure WHICH second they
were referring to!

The GPS manual wasn't that great, but I implemented what I thought was
the correct solution. I then checked it against NTP time and - bingo -
agreement! I then checked it against the phone company's clock and -
hmmm - I was one second fast. So I checked it against a radio time
signal and, once again, agreement.

So I called the phone company. Unfortunately, the person who maintained
the clock was out, so I had to talk to his secretary. She was astonished
- "why do you care that the clock is one second out!?". So I explained
to her that one second was a big deal when I was trying to be accurate
to a millionth of a second. After much scratching of heads, she finally
said to me "Oh! Do you want me to change the time?!". The astonishment
was now mine.

As one of my colleagues said - "you should have said yes - I'm late with
my project!".

As an aside note, those of you involved in teaching physics might like
to consider putting the output of a GPS 1pps and a radio time signal
into an oscilloscope. This is what I did when I checked against the
radio time signal. The radio time source I used was Radio Moscow (I was
working in the west of Ireland at the time, and that was the strongest
time signal I could receive with the radio set I had). I noticed that
the time from Radio Moscow was 11 milliseconds "late". Of course the
reason was because I was about 3,300km from Moscow - I had just
inadvertently measured the speed of light!