[LEAPSECS] RE : nails in the coffin of mean solar time

Delporte Jerome jerome.delporte at cnes.fr
Fri Jun 15 05:04:24 EDT 2007

If I may step in this discussion, I agree that we shall stick to mean solar time as the one and only logical time scale.
But, UTC with leap hours would still be a realization of mean solar time. The solar time at the very same legal time varies by +/- 30 minutes within a given time zone. Moreover, as we all know, the eccentricity and the declination of the equator on the ecliptic induce variations of the true solar time of +/- 15 minutes. So I don't understand this assertion that replacing leap seconds by leap hours would break any link to mean solar time ...

Jerome Delporte.
CNES - French Space Agency.