[LEAPSECS] nails in the coffin of mean solar time

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Jun 15 05:45:55 EDT 2007

From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>
Subject: Re: [LEAPSECS] nails in the coffin of mean solar time
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:42:39 +0000

> In message <BB2B7081-8AE3-4902-B760-9E719860F518 at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

> >I'm sure many of us were involved in Y2K remediation activities. For

> >instance, here is an inventory that I was responsible for compiling

> >for one large system:

> > http://iraf.noao.edu/projects/y2k/y2kplan.html

> >Do we have any evidence that DOD has performed such an inventory for

> >DUT1 dependencies?

> I find it amazing that an accomplished astronomer like you can

> misestimate by so many orders of magnitude as you do here.

> Everybody with a checkbook were potential victims of Y2K bugs.

> Changes to, including abolishment of, leapseconds will only affect

> people who measure positions of celestial objects with high precision.

> There is at least a 1.000.000:1 ratio between those two populations

> worldwide.

Wouldn't this mean that Denmark would loose track of time? :-)

(I know you wouln't, but that is beside the point)

I am contemplating a trip to Bornholm to visit Gudhjem since Denmark is running
of "Gudhjems-tid". But maybe I just choose to visit you instead. :)
(theoretical vs. actual time-keeping of Denmark)

Cheers,
Magnus