[LEAPSECS] nails in the coffin of mean solar time

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Jun 15 14:02:21 EDT 2007

On Jun 15, 2007, at 3:06 AM, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> It all depends on how you define 'mean' and what the acceptable

> error in your current estimator of that mean is. Civilization, at

> least in the USA, has shown that it can tolerate over an hour and a

> half deviation from mean local solar time (Time Zones and Daylight

> Savings Time show this).

Again, I won't belabor previous discussions. Deviations between
local time and zone time are static - and persist whether or not
there are leap seconds. Deviations between apparent solar time and
mean solar time are periodic. Embargoing leap seconds would
introduce a secular term. This is something new. The familiar
figure eight of the analemma would no longer close upon itself.

Rob Seaman
NOAO