[LEAPSECS] IERS Message No. 129: Plots of Earth Orientation Data (fwd)

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Apr 9 11:45:52 EDT 2008

On Apr 9, 2008, at 6:53 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> And the interesting one of course is:

> http://www.iers.org/plots/FinalsAllIAU1980-UT1-UTC-BULA.png

This is an up to date version of the first figure (labeled figure 3)
from my screed of exactly seven years ago today:

http://iraf.noao.edu/~seaman/leap

Remarkable how issues that aren't resolved keep coming back at you :-)

How to optimize the scheduling algorithm for leap seconds has always
been one of the more interesting - and potentially more productive -
questions, whether it is your 10 year look ahead or the other extreme
of permitting monthly leap seconds as I described.

What clever chap was it who suggested ALWAYS having a leap second at
the end of each month - toggling positive and negative? An actual
leap transition then becomes the omission of a (negative) leap. Since
systems would have to deal with the monthly cadence they would be
forced to work correctly. (Evolution trumps design any day.) And
since a leap would be the absence of an event, nothing would break.

More to the point, all of these strategies are permitted under the
current UTC standard :-)

> Should we make an informal bet on when the next leap second happens ?

I'll take December 2008. A Carlsberg Elephant (what do the locals
drink?) versus your choice from the Nimbus brewery in Tucson?

Rob
---
http://nimbusbeer.qwestoffice.net/thebeers.html