[LEAPSECS] comp.risks post in need of response

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Dec 9 12:27:50 EST 2008

Anybody want to volunteer to take a wack at setting the nice folks at
the Risks Digest straight regarding a timekeeping issue?

http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/25.47.html#subj12

I'm sure someone from any of our various philosophical encampments
would do a fine job of telling them why "NominalDiffTime" is a silly
idea. If only the claim were true, however:

"If you don't care about leap seconds, use UTCTime and
NominalDiffTime for your clock calculations, and you'll be fine."

Certainly nobody who does need to recover accurate UT1 from civil time
is going to trust this library.

Rob Seaman
NOAO