[LEAPSECS] Two leap second papers

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Dec 12 19:26:36 EST 2008

David Malone wrote:

> These two papers, both from the November issue of The Astronomy

> Journal, may be of interest to people here.

> DOES RELATIVISTIC TIME DILATION CONTRIBUTE TO THE DIVERGENCE OF

> UNIVERSAL TIME AND EPHEMERIS TIME?

> Gérard Petit et al 2008 The Astronomical Journal 136 1909-1912

> http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/1538-3881/136/5/1909

> Both are in response to a 2007 paper attributing leap seconds to

> general relativistic effects rather than geophysical and tidal

> effects.

This one was posted on my door for a couple of weeks. I've never read
a more pointed refutation of a refereed paper. A wonderful example of
the self correcting nature of scientific discourse.

The real question is how the original paper made it past the referees
and the editor in the first place. It was absolute hooey.