[LEAPSECS] WP7A status and Re: clinical evidence about time and sun

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Dec 18 13:14:55 EST 2008

On Thu 2008-12-18T10:28:38 -0700, M. Warner Losh hath writ:

> Although the epic of LORAN-C TOC is indeed 1958, LORAN-C TOC followed

> the 'rubber seconds' from 1958 until 1972 when leap seconds were

> introduced. After that, its course is parallel to UTC without further

> leap seconds.

And if I have read the history correctly the deployment of cesium
standards along the LORAN-C chains in the late 1960s was one of the
strongest motivating forces for the CCIR's unilateral and urgent
action to change the standard for broadcast time signals from
following the earth rotation measure that they explicitly identified
by name as UT2 to following the atomic time measure (which was about
to be named TAI) with added leap seconds.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855