[LEAPSECS] (no subject)

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Dec 22 08:27:30 EST 2008

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008, Steve Allen wrote:

> Please identify the operations which need one second predictability

> over a time span of six months.

Anything that needs to exchange time stamps with other systems that are
both accurate and specified in some variant of UT (UTC, POSIX time, NTP
time, etc.) needs an up-to-date leap second table. Even if the only future
event that these systems need to predict is leap seconds, that is enough
to affect their software update schedule or require some other way to
periodically obtain a leap second table.

> Please explain why changing the name of the broadcast time scale

> to TI and putting UTC and the leap seconds into zoneinfo does

> not satisfy all requirements of the need for uniform time scale.

You keep asking this question and we keep explaining that it breaks
too much software.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
HUMBER THAMES DOVER: WEST OR NORTHWEST 5 OR 6, DECREASING 3 OR 4 BUT VARIABLE