[LEAPSECS] Schedule for success

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Dec 22 13:27:49 EST 2008

Tony Finch wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, Rob Seaman wrote:

>> No. We have been using mean solar time formally since the 19th

>> century, and informally since we woke each morning to light shining

>> through

>> the entrance of the cave.

> Apparent solar time is not mean solar time. Remember that for a lot of

> history we used rubber hours that varied according to the time between

> sunrise and sunset. Mean solar time cannot be established without

> reasonably accurate clocks.

Either you haven't read this message yet:

http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/leapsecs/2008-December/000714.html

or I've yet again failed to make my point.

Mother Earth "establishes" mean solar time simply by spinning on its
axis and orbiting the sun. Apparent solar time is a mere happenstance
of angles. Rates matter more than offsets.