[LEAPSECS] (no subject)

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Dec 22 15:05:31 EST 2008

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> The fact that Denmark does not follow its own law on this point

> is a severe blow to your argument.

The thing that amused me about the WP7A update was Britain objecting to
the demise of leap seconds. Our government abolished the Royal Greenwich
Observatory because it had nothing useful left to do. Our timekeeping lab
is the National Physical Laboratory. The other major part of the RGO was
the Nautical Almanac Office which is now the Hydrographic Office, which
produces nautical charts. I doubt we even have any government agency still
involved in earth orientation - about the closest we have is the STFC
which funds a number of physics and astronomy research facilities. I can't
imagine it's that hard to fix our obsolete time legislation, which even
the Government ignores - our official time references (MSF, the BBC, the
stratim 1 NTP servers at the LINX) are all UTC, not GMT. Bah.

On the other hand, perhaps the relevant civil servant doesn't want to put
a time-related bill in front of parliament, because they'll probably start
blethering about BST, whether the Scots can live with CET, when the Easter
Act will be put into force, et cetera ad nauseam, until time runs out and
the bill never gets enacted. Bah.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
HEBRIDES BAILEY FAIR ISLE FAEROES SOUTHEAST ICELAND SOUTHERLY OR SOUTHWESTERLY