[LEAPSECS] Merry Christmas!

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Dec 23 18:05:33 EST 2008

In message <66044CA9-B04E-40F3-8AD6-37F9D5248410 at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

>> This, again, shows that you simply don't understand what our trouble

>> is. We do not need to grep for DUT1, because it's not there, we

>> don't care about DUT1.

>So no naive subcontractors put DUT1 in after reading the ITU UTC

>document? And nowhere in any of these systems does UTC meet GMT

>derived from some legacy source? It isn't whether you care about DUT1

>- it is whether you are dependent on it. If the Y2K-like strings

>aren't there, it should be little trouble to grep for them.

I can guarantee you that none of the code I am anywhere closet to
cares the least bit about, or even knows about, DUT1.

The left, center and right issue is if computers disagree what
UTC time it is because somebody didn't get the telegram.

>You appear to believe that your argument is with me. Rather, we're

>all arguing with the ITU.

You seem to be the only one here who has an argument with ITU,
I'm disappointed they didn't stick to their original plan.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe