[LEAPSECS] Cheating means more planning, not less

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Dec 28 11:43:47 EST 2008

In message: <32626.1230451495 at critter.freebsd.dk>
"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:

: In message <alpine.LSU.2.00.0812272320490.23685 at hermes-1.csi.cam.ac.uk>, Tony F

: inch writes:

:

: >> DST is a trivial gimmick layered on standard time. Standard time is a

: >> global system layered on the mean solar day.

: >

: >I don't think DST is trivial, nor is it a gimmick.

:

: Seconded.

:

: In addition to what it was designed to, DST changes have taken on

: an unanticipated role of high-level low frequency public scheduling.

:

: Emperical evidence shows that fewer people miss their trains right

: after a DST change, even accounting for those who get it wrong by

: one hour.

:

:

: This indicates that DST changes actually make people adjust their

: clocks.

:

: At least in Denmark, the public safety administration is actively

: advocating using the DST change to test the residual current

: protection relay (RCCB), "since you have to set all the clocks anyway".

:

: We know from electricians purchases of new RCCBs that this advice

: is widely taken.

:

: I would keep DST, even if it confers no other benefits, simply because

: from a societal point of view, it is beneficial to have the populations

: almost undivided attention twice a year.

In the US, many fire departments have similar public safety
campaigns. Change your fire detector batteries when you change your
clock.

Warner