[LEAPSECS] civil-solar correlation with TI

Zefram zefram at fysh.org
Sun Dec 28 16:49:38 EST 2008

Tony Finch wrote:

>"Calendrical Calculations" isn't a reliable source for historians in the

>way that the Olson database tries to be. CC is a mechanized description of

>how calendars are supposed to work,

Actually it doesn't even fully achieve that. The numerical algorithms
are correct, as far as I can see, but the descriptions of the underlying
theory are often muddled, riddled with errors and critical omissions.
(Count how many different quantities go by the name "RD".) Rather
importantly for our purposes, CC ignores the existence of timezones (or,
for that matter, longitude).

>tz database attempts to record what timezones were actually used in

>different places at different times.

It would be nice to have the analogous database for calendar usage.

-zefram