[LEAPSECS] Cheating means more planning, not less

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Dec 28 19:21:08 EST 2008

In message: <0812290017.AA16164 at ivan.Harhan.ORG>
msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG (Michael Sokolov) writes:

: M. Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

:

: > I don't think that's a viable thing to do. It would play havoc with

: > anything except the most low-precision timing applications.

:

: But civil time *is* a low-precision timing application!

Not really. It is used for timing transactions on exchange boards to
the millisecond to ensure proper pricing in fast changing markets...

: > And if

: > you don't solve the problem for high-precision timing applications,

: > I'm not sure that it is a viable solution.

:

: Those need to use a diffirent time scale decoupled from civil time,

: i.e., TAI, GPS, TT, whatever. There need to be two different seconds,

: a civil second and a scientific second. The latter would be better

: renamed to essen.

Right. Good luck with that one...

Warner