[LEAPSECS] Schedule for success

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Dec 30 22:41:45 EST 2008

M. Warner Losh writes:

> Rob Seaman wrote:

>> BTW, it is unsurprising that people use UTC and GMT

>> interchangeably, since the original CCIR standard said:

>> "GMT may be regarded as the general equivalent of UT."

>> This equivalence predates the ITU, and may well outlive the ITU.

> But UT and UTC aren't the same thing... So this confusion is

> between what we call UT1 and UTC, which differ by hundreds of

> milliseconds most of the time...

An academic point, since we've just thoroughly established that actual
current usage mixes UTC and GMT willy-nilly.

However, I've appended a longer excerpt of the text of ITU-R-TF.
460-4. In addition to the general equivalence of GMT and UT, we also
learn that "Universal Time (UT) is the general designation of time
scales based on the rotation of the Earth."

Different flavors of UT are described that differ only at the level of
hundredths of a second. We learn that leap seconds exist to
"unsure" [sic] approximate agreement of UTC with UT1. (A rather
amusing typo :-) And further, that DUT1 exists to improve that
approximation.

This is a coherent and close equivalence of 5 different timescales,
plus the general purpose alias "UT", that are all explicitly stated to
reflect the rotation of the Earth.

If we were to actively seek consensus here, a good place to start
would be the word "approximation". Eradicating both leap seconds and
DUT1 would destroy any possible interpretation commensurate with
approximation.

Rob
---