[LEAPSECS] Schedule for success

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Dec 31 12:23:26 EST 2008

In message: <495B7242.4030006 at cox.net>
Greg Hennessy <greg.hennessy at cox.net> writes:

:

: M. Warner Losh wrote:

: > In message: <495AFFEA.7020808 at cox.net>

: > Greg Hennessy <greg.hennessy at cox.net> writes:

: > : > It also agrees with the

: > : > USNO web pages, as well as the BIPM web pages. Would you like the

: > : > URLs?

: > :

: > : Since I don't consider them relavent, no thank you.

: >

: > The problem is that GMT means several different things. It is an

: > ambiguous term.

:

: Thank you, you have finally acknowledged the point I making.

:

: And you were able to do it without the personal insult you sent

: to my private email account.

:

: Given that GMT can mean more than one timescale, is a person

: or group necessarily wrong when using the term?

Yes. They are wrong. They are misusing a term, although it is a
common mistake. The proper term for UTC is UTC. While others may
call it by other names, that shows an ignorance on their part of the
underlying details. This lack of precision is but one example of why
it is hard to get this stuff right. To get things right, you have to
use the right terms, not fuzzy, the public thinks it is right terms.

Warner