[LEAPSECS] Schedule for success

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Wed Dec 31 23:09:36 EST 2008

On Wed 2008-12-31T01:42:46 +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp hath writ:

> In message <20081231012433.GA14690 at ucolick.org>, Steve Allen writes:

> >On Tue 2008-12-30T17:57:27 -0700, M. Warner Losh hath writ:

> >> If rocket-scientists can't get the relatively simple nomenclature of

> >> this topic right, what hope is there for the average engineer?

> >Not enough in the current scenario, given that the ITU-R docs are

> >proprietary to the point of inaccessability [...]

> We're clawing for straws now, aren't we ? :-)

No, I don't think so. See this blog entry from someone on
the crew of folks defining XML for W3C.

http://cmsmcq.com/mib/?p=271

Perhaps not every member of the W3C has been driven to the point of
talking with himself over the inconsistent picture painted by the
authorities responsible for the leap second, but this one has.

In the case of the Zune the standard was broadly disseminated over
400 years ago, and mass marketing of a product that does not conform
may even be considered negligent to the point of culpability.

But no manufacturer can be blamed for products which cannot figure out
what the rules for the leap second really are, or who's in charge of
those rules.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855