[LEAPSECS] Trying a different angle

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Feb 14 08:21:15 EST 2008

Um - might I just point out that GPS already exists and it is possible
that more people know the brand name "GPS" than "UTC"?

Also, I wouldn't have thought it possible, but your description of the
parliamentary process almost makes the bicameral legislative model
seem preferable :-)

The obvious choice to circumvent both public and governmental inertia
is GPS. Label it "TI" in prudently drafted proposal documents and
create a commissioning schedule that brings the zoneinfo changes in
over several decades. Voila! Bicameral civil time layered on
unsegmented GPS, but called TI per Torino and that doesn't eviscerate
UTC.

Don't underestimate the power of a brand name.