[LEAPSECS] How good could civil timekeeping be?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Feb 14 12:19:54 EST 2008

There are a lot of timescales. Astronomers are as heavy users of even
interval time as of Earth orientation time. I guess the answer to
your question lies in the explanatory supplement to the astronomical
almanac. Recent IAU standards changes have yet to appear in a
similarly normative form. Steve Allen may also comment.

But the issues focus on the requirements of civil timekeeping, not the
various precision timekeeping users like astronomers. I won't repeat
my argument about why civil time is mean solar time, but I assert that
it is. In addition, we all grasp the various issues regarding even
interval timekeeping for computing. That adds up to two types of
civil time.

UTC does a pretty good job of capturing both flavors of time into a
single mechanism. It's ok by me, however, if there is a initiative to
split them. It is not ok if we try to pretend that one does not exist
and I assert this will become obvious to all in the fullness of time.