[LEAPSECS] princes

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Nov 3 10:19:39 EST 2008

In message: <20081103082834.GM81158 at finch-staff-1.thus.net>
"Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net> writes:

: Tony Finch said:

: > As well as the

: > egregious example of the pre-Julian Roman calendar, I'm amused and

: > disgusted by the anti-Jewish fiddles in the rules for determining Easter

: > to minimise when it coincides with Passover.

:

: Actually it was a pro-Jewish fiddle: by keeping the two dates apart it

: minimized the risk of religious riots and/or pogroms.

I was told in school a long time ago this was the same reason that
Christmas happened do late: It too was designed to not conflict with
Hanukkah and also the pagan solstice celebrations. I have no source
for this information, so take it with a lot more skepticism than most
things you see here :-)

Warner