[LEAPSECS] The relation between calendars and leap seconds.

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Nov 12 08:30:57 EST 2008

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> My legal research has failed to find any definition in statute of

> "sunrise" and "sunset". In particular, it is not clear whether

> sunset is when the

> (1) upper limb of the sun disappears below

> (2) centre of the sun passes

> (3) lower limb of the sun first touches

> the

> (4) theoretical horizon if the earth were a perfect airless geoid

> (5) theoretical horizon allowing for atmospheric diffraction

> (6) visible horizon including hills and valleys.

Not too surprising. There are plenty of everyday (there's that word
"day" again) issues that are left similarly undefined for later
interpretation in a court by judge or jury.

In colloquial use (what will often be applied), sunrise will be when
the Sun (meaning its photosphere) is first visible from some location,
ie., "dawn's early light". Sunset will be when the light vanishes.

For other court cases, this might better align with astronomical
twilight - was any light whatsoever still present from the previous or
succeeding day. In that case, the sun will still be several degrees
below the horizon.

Rarely will sunrise and sunset be defined in terms of an ensemble of
atomic clocks with no reference to the actual possibility of light.

No matter how carefully worded, every law permits differing
interpretations.