[LEAPSECS] Synchronization requirement

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Nov 12 13:34:19 EST 2008

In message <alpine.LSU.2.00.0811121811350.30582 at hermes-1.csi.cam.ac.uk>, Tony F
inch writes:

>On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>> Savy auction houses deal with such behaviour by not closing the

>> auction "while bidding is ongoing", typically implementing a

>> 30 second wait after the most recent bid before closing.

>> Why eBay doesn't have always been a mystery to me, people would

>> statistically get better prices if they did.

>They'd never be able to close any auctions :-)

They would, it works fine in most real-life auction houses. This is
why you have the famous

going once...
going twice...
third time anybody ?
sold to the man next to the woman who clearly isn't his wife...

sort of stuff at art auctions

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe