[LEAPSECS] The relation between calendars and leap seconds.

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Nov 13 03:49:28 EST 2008

In message <p06230900c5412c3b1f60@[192.168.0.5]>, "Jonathan E. Hardis" writes:

>>I thought USA went out of their way some years back, to make it

>>clear that the relevant secretary (of commerce ?) decided what

>>US timekeeping was and that it certainly had nothing to do with GMT ?

>>Or was that laying the ground for US unlateral action on leap-seconds ?

>What you have in mind is Section 3013 of the America COMPETES Act

>and interpreted or modified for the United States by the Secretary

>of Commerce in coordination with the Secretary of the Navy.''.

Yes, somebody on this list made a big deal out of that :-)

>>>I thought the ITU had treaty status, therefore that they could decree

>> >that we all must henceforth wear Goofy watches that run CCW, and that

>>>this sober determination would supersede all other laws of God and man.

>>No, ITU does not have treaty status, you are supposed to follow their

>>recommedations and standards, unless there is specific national

>>regulation.

>The ITU is a U.N. agency.

Yes, but their recommendations and standards do not automatically
acquire treaty-status for that reason.

> * Who can cite case law, where a court has had to decide an actual

> controversy on timekeeping? (Courts don't deal with hypothetical

> controversies or arguments over trivia. De minimis non curat lex.)

"Absent case law, the law is what reasonable people interpret
it to mean, case law only happens when some of them are not
reasonable."

>Frankly, a lot of what I've been reading here

>sounds like it's really overreaching.

You mean stuff like "Lets just ignore federal regulations and do things
the way we want to, they can fix the problems when they notice them."
(paraphrasing)

Yes, that would certainly be overreaching.

Poul-Henning

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe