[LEAPSECS] The relation between calendars and leap seconds.

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Nov 14 03:37:50 EST 2008

In message <p06230901c54292430af6@[192.168.0.5]>, "Jonathan E. Hardis" writes:

>>The POSIX and FIPS-151-2 requirement is that you use UTC (with 86400

>>seconds per day), they doesn't say how good you have to be at it.

>Hey guys, I hate to spoil all of your fun, but FIPS 151-2 was

>WITHDRAWN eight years ago.

>http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=2000_register&docid=fr25fe00-39.pdf

Yes, and replaced with different requirements with just about exactly
the same content.

The problem was standards-political, basically The Open Group decided
on an economic model that called for all "certified UNIX" O/S's to
undergo regular (each release) expensive validations.

Open Source operating systems objected to being foreclosed on in this
manner, and as a result 151-2 was declared "obsolete" so that DoD could
deploy uncertified Linux and FreeBSD systems.

POSIX is still mandated, now you just have to look all over the place
for the requirement, for instance DISA COE.

Poul-Henning

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe