[LEAPSECS] Toasting Unix timestamp 1234567890

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Fri Feb 13 17:26:33 EST 2009

In an hour comes another fun moment in time: Unix time_t reaches
1234567890 seconds.

That's at 23:31:30 UTC the night between friday February 13th and
saturday 14th.

Here are some related pages:

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/02/unixs-magical-moment-as-foreto.html
Events: http://www.1234567890day.com/
A nice countdown: http://redhorse.se/cs/time.html
Twitter: http://twitter.com/utcwatch

But I'm sad that most everyone is forgetting the 24 leap seconds that
will have passed by then, ignored by the kernel....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second

So I'll also celebrate the passing of 1234567890 UTC seconds
since January 1 1970, 00:00, which is 24 seconds earlier.

As Steve so carefully describes, because of the "rubber seconds" in
use before 1972 and other issues there are actually several other
interpretations of the number of seconds since 1970 - see these links:

http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/onlinebib.html#POSIX
http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/onlinebib.html#POSIXepoch

And the legal situation is different still, see:

http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/epochtime.html

Cheers! Or as we say in Esperanto, "Sanon!"

Neal McBurnett http://neal.mcburnett.org/