[LEAPSECS] A new use for Pre-1972 UTC

Gerard Ashton ashtongj at comcast.net
Tue Feb 17 18:35:09 EST 2009

Rob Seaman wrote in part:

Actually, there is a failure of the current scheme in the document. A
notary is per country/state pair. But about a third of the U.S.
states and presumably many provinces in other countries are split by
timezones ....

Notaries are usually allowed to notarize anywhere in a state, no
matter which county they were commissioned in. (I deliberately didn't
say "county or parish" since I think Louisiana is one of the exceptions.)
The UT time on the notary's computer will probably be correct, since once
the time zone offset of the computer is combined with the local time
of the computer, the result will probably be correct. The notary will
be indicating the date and time elsewhere in the document; the means
for capturing that information is not specified.

Gerry Ashton