[LEAPSECS] Reliability

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Jan 1 22:47:02 EST 2009

M. Warner Losh wrote:

> Rob Seaman writes:

>> Apparent solar time is derived from mean solar time, not the other

>> way around.

> Can you explain this, since I thought it was the other way around...

We live in an empirical world. When investigating the behavior of a
class of objects (or processes, in astronomy the difference isn't
always clear), measurements are often combined in weird and wonderful
ways through population studies. In that case, a measure of central
tendency like the mean is taken as an estimator of a typical value for
the class.

For instance, the cosmological distance ladder is built from large
numbers of measurements of classes of objects like supernovae and
cepheid variables. One might also perform solar system studies on the
population dynamics of different classes of asteroids or Kuiper belt
objects.

Studying the orbital/rotational dynamics of a single object - for
instance, the Earth - is different in that a measure of central
tendency would be used to refine an estimate of a characteristic
intrinsic to a single object, not of a class.

So the point of that preface is that the meaning of the word "mean"
depends on the purpose of the exercise.

In particular, ignoring relativistic issues and perturbation theory
and other stuff out of my depth, the orbital dynamics of the solar
system have been a solved issue since Kepler and Newton and a lot of
clever French mathematicians.

Like I keep saying, the mean solar day is trivial to compute from the
sidereal day. Look at it this way, there are "really" 366.25 days per
year. That extra day just gets sliced and diced among all the others.

Rather than mean solar time being some mysterious created artifact
that is assembled out of vast numbers of independent "real"
measurements of a time series of apparent solar positions in the sky,
the apparent position of the sun is calculable from (and dependent on)
the Earth's orbital parameters (e.g., semi-major axis and
eccentricity), the tilt of its axis, the corresponding rates, and
latitude and longitude.

To some extent it is just a point of view which are the independent
and which are the dependent variables, but few are likely to choose
the bizarre curlicues made by the Sun and planets on the celestial
sphere as their fundamental coordinate system.

Instead, a handful of parameters describe the elliptical orbit of each
of the planets. The spinning planets (just angular velocity vectors)
are layered on the orbits. And the apparent position of each of the
other solar system objects in the Earth's sky is a function of
latitude and longitude layered on top of the Earth's spin and the two
orbits in question.

It's the usual familiar layered architecture and the apparent position
of the Sun is from a higher layer then the - so-called - mean
position. Astronomers confuse the issue by using phrases like
"fictitious Sun", but then astronomical terminology is always upside-
down and backwards.